What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

De-tango front lights

landwomble
New

De-tango front lights

Postby landwomble » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:53 pm

Been meaning to do this for a while - so thought I'd post a guide with pics.

Basic idea is to

1) Make the front lights look clear

2) Swap the indicator and sidelights so that the larger 21W bulb is the sidelight where the indicator used to be, and the old sidelight becomes the 5W indicator.

Tools needed: wirecutters, chocblock connectors, electrical tape, screwdriver, oven, orange 5W 501 bulb from Halfrauds.

OK, first off, remove the sidelight/indicator cluster - 2 screws, twist to remove the two bulb fittings, and it's out.

Looks like this:

If you look inside, you'll see the orange filter for the indicator, which we're going to remove.

If you look here, you'll see the sticky mastic-like glue that holds the housing together:

Next step, make sure the missus is out, and fire up your oven to 100-120 degrees. Place the whole fitting inside, and set the timer for 10 mins. Wine optional.

When it's done, take it out and stick it on your workbench, or chopping board in my case.

Using a broad flat head screwdriver, carefully lever apart the lens from the grey plastic back. The glue should be a chewing-gum consistency: don't get it on the inside of the lens or you'll have to clean it off with isoprop or meths. Or in my case, alcohol-based handwash gel. Don't knock it, I was contemplating using gin.

This should happen:

Inside, you can see the curved orange reflector, which has two screws to remove:

Image- the bit you're removing looks like this:

When done, stick it all back together. If you've taken it slowly you might want to warm it up again first.

Result?

Much better.

For the wiring, you want to swap the positive connection to sidelight and indicator, so that the old indicator lights up as the sidelight, and the old sidelight flashes as the indicator. You'll need to swap the old sidelight bulb for an orange one so that your indicator flashes orange - you're after a 5W 501 orange bulb, which cost me about ÂŁ4 from Halfrauds.

Alternately, if you want to retain the original light positions, swap the old indicator 21W bulb for an orange one, or for extra bonus points a chromed orange one which looks silver, but lights up orange.

What does the result look like at night? Surprisingly bright. Indicators clearly visible, sidelights actually useful:

Make sure you wrap your wiring up in electrical tape once done.

Hope this is useful, it's about an hour's work and I think the result looks great.

Ric

Return to “Lights and eletrics”