What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Repairing the broken bolt on Mk 1 manual door mirrors

Rob
Regular

Repairing the broken bolt on Mk 1 manual door mirrors

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:48 pm

I posted my mk 1 door mirror repair guide in a few places, your welcome to use it

-----------------------------------------------------
I slipped and fell on my drivers door mirror last weekend.

Decided I should replace the bolt on the passenger one at the same time.

This is a really easy job to tackle and can save a fair bit by not having to buy new mirrors, even second hand ones are quite costly.

So the first job is to remove the mirror from the door. You may need an impact drive to assist but be careful.

Tools

7mm spanner
7mm socket
knife
Old CD
Phillips screwdriver
Superglue
Grease
1 x 4m bolt 50mm long
1 x nyloc nut
2 x washer

Lift up the cover from the base to reveal two screws and remove them.

Take mirror inside to the warm.

Now you need to remove the black plastic rim, this needs care as there is a risk of breaking the mirror glass. Find something to spread the preassure a scraper is good or as I did an old CD.

Press the mirror down a little so you can slide the CD and the knife under the black rim then gently lever, you only want to do this a little. (remember the risk to the glass).

As soon as you have enough of it free so you can get the knife between the black trim and mirror housing stop.[IMG]

Now work the knife all the way around gently releasing it from the housing.

Lift out the glass and undo the bolts, you may well need to let soak in wd40 or similar, depending on the condition. For me this one came apart by the bolt just shearing as I undid it, (they are not strong bolts especially after 20 years).

All ready to put back together now.

Apply a little grease to all the components prior to re-assembly

Back together. (librally grease the spring and bolts to stop future rust prior to replacing mirror and re-gluing trim)

Refit the mirror glass and supreglue the trim back on to hold it.

Fitted back to the car.

Return to “Body panels and accessories”