What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

A warning about a dodgy practice now being done on the crank boss

Mazda Mender
Site Admin

A warning about a dodgy practice now being done on the crank boss

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:29 am

****THIS IS FOR ALL MK1 OWNERS FROM 1989 TO THE MK 2.5 OWNERS TO 2005****

Over the last 12 months I have had 3 different mx/roadsters come to me for water pump,belts,seals and service wanting doing and on strip down found the crank boss's with a chuck missing at the top of travel ,dead top, when I seen the first one it was a case of ...whooops I wonder who messed that up and hid it, and replaced , second one was a case of ...that's strange,but replaced again.... By the third one, the alarm bells were ringing that this was becoming a common thing to find as a short cut to just changing a timing belt and "NOTHING ELSE".
Then yesterday a post popped up on a FB group of the same thing that had been found , an Owner had taken his Mazda to a garage for work and they had found the boss had been cut at the top the same as I have found the 3 I had come across. The only difference being that in his case and the ones I have found is that I informed the owners and "told " them it needs changing and its staying until it does. The garage this owner used just informed him and put it all back together with the crank seal clearly weeping oil out everywhere so it was a waste of time and money any way.

So i personally felt that this now warrants a warning, I am unsure how you would know after the work is done of this dodgy bodge as the crank pulley bolts to the boss hiding this lazy expensive c*ck up and beggars belief and is happening to the MK 1's from 1989 to the MK 2.5 to 2005.

Unfortunately I never took pics of the first two that were clearly cut, only the third from Austin's MK 1 and the pic from Stef Wrobel from the FB group to show. I'll be keeping an eye on this and take more pics of this happening. It is bad practice to take this route and short cut for a number of reasons, they are cutting this so they do not need to undo the crank bolt and not replacing the crank seals that also need replacing. So the work is all pointless as the oil is going to contaminate the new belt etc any way , so it will all need replacing "IF" they have not damaged the engine by now????

This is now starting to look like becoming common place and the f*ckwit that started this wants hitting with a scaffolding pole hard because the sheep in the community are following it and doing it also as a correct short cut. Cutting that boss makes it all unbalanced which in turn "WILL" damage the crank shaft, seal, pulley, pistons as it starts to cause everything to wear and become oval, it is lazy and costly for the owners. Its very bad practice, its just so bad.... If you find that this as been done then the boss need replacing asap, as does the crank seal and the cam seals will be in the same condition...

I would love to know where and how this as started to be passed along to other brain dead owners to follow and use this method or garage?

Pic from Austins MK 1.......

IMG_20201022_184907.jpg
IMG_20201022_184907.jpg (452.16 KiB) Viewed 3027 times

Pic from Stef Wrobel's mazda from the FB group.....

123088922_3461646887216592_8686293981569839492_o.jpg
123088922_3461646887216592_8686293981569839492_o.jpg (135.16 KiB) Viewed 3027 times

DO NOT MESS AROUND IF YOU FIND THIS BODGE.......buy a new boss and put it back right...

MK 1 boss is £60 + vat
MK 2 is £100 + vat

IMG_20201024_113831.jpg
IMG_20201024_113831.jpg (458.28 KiB) Viewed 3027 times

IMG_20201024_113837.jpg
IMG_20201024_113837.jpg (344.76 KiB) Viewed 3027 times

IMG_20201024_134522.jpg
IMG_20201024_134522.jpg (501.96 KiB) Viewed 3027 times

So ,PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE take them to the correct people for work, rather than these idiots, that will cladly take your hard earn with a smile knowing that they have not done all the work that was needed and c*cked it up to get you to spend even more than in the first place to rectify it all from killing your engine .

Becareful who you trust with your pride and joys people.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/

Return to “Engine”