What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Beginner!!

Introduce yourself here. Tell us all about your passions and your pride and joy. We wont bite.
Sam_Bembs
Just Run In

Re: Beginner!!

Postby Sam_Bembs » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:50 pm

ImageImageImage

well the cross-member is pretty much non existent!! :'( I think I'm going to replace it! Will I need to remove the engine for that job do any of you know? Thanks guys!! :)
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:05 pm

To replace that you are going to need a donor car. That is a huge job as it will involve the whole of the front end...and that means messing with chassis rails....and not really necessary.

How are you with welding, and metal fabrication? You may be better fabbing some new metal in there to be honest..... Take the plastic bumper off (the white thing) and see what is behind there first and how that looks - behind that there should be two covers over teh chassis rails...with 5 or six bolts, they will likely snap when taking them off... now you can see the whole of the front end.... Soak those four bolts with plenty of wd40 or similar first.

Post up a pic or two when you have done that....
Regards, Hammy.
1990 Eunos 1.6 Classic Red, soon to be a different colour
Sam_Bembs
Just Run In

Postby Sam_Bembs » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:34 pm

ImageImageImage
:'( it's absolutely shot!!!
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:40 pm

You are not wrong there...can't say I have seen one that far gone before. But don't let that get you down mate. You have plenty time.

Take those two red covers off and look behind - you should get a good inside view of the chassis rails.

Lot's of inspection, put up pics and we can all see together. I would look at it as an opportunity for some good work :)
Regards, Hammy.
Sam_Bembs
Just Run In

Postby Sam_Bembs » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:41 pm

Ok, cheers hamish!
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:49 pm

We are here to help.... these cars can throw up a fight, but they are worth it and you can cut your teeth on a car that is a joy to work on :)

Don't be downhearted..... here is some inspiration for you as I done my front end and it was not too clever either :)

Regards, Hammy.
Sam_Bembs
Just Run In

Postby Sam_Bembs » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:07 pm

ImageImageImage
Safe to say yours is in 'slightly' better than mine at the moment!!
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:13 pm

As H says I've not seen one that bad at the front end either but I recon it could be put right. Plus if you enjoy working on these cars your gonna have loads of fun :text-goodpost: Itll be nice to see the progress too :handgestures-thumbup:
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:16 pm

Hmmm .need more opinions.

Any chance of a pic inside the chassis rails... the two square/oblong holes.... like this:
Regards, Hammy.
Sam_Bembs
Just Run In

Postby Sam_Bembs » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:26 pm

ImageImage
They're pretty rusty, but not as serious as the front!!
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:19 pm

OK...passenger side is worse than driver side. The two captive nuts have rusted through - have a look on the outside of the chassis rail passenger side at the front see what it is like there. This can be repairable - but you are going to need to learn welding, or have a mate with a welder...or if you can weld already.....

First though. Vacuum out the insides of those rails.

Go on ebay and search for VACTAN - it is a bit like Kurust, only 100 times better. This is the stuff the professional restorers use - especially those who do land rovers. It takes longer to go off than kurust does, but it is brilliant and converting red oxide - can't get better than this stuff:

Now get a pole of some sort and put a brush on the end and fasten it anyhow:

Put some vactan in a old cup/tin lid and liberally coat the whole of the inside of the frame rails like so:

I did that before I then dinitroled the inside of the rails... not that you need dinitrol after that...as it is impenetrable to water.

Bear in mind, vactan takes about 24 hours to convert - it is a much slower chemical process than Kurust....and that is why it is better :)

Now that will protect them and stop any further rot taking place. In the meantime,w e can all put our heads together to work out how to help you fix up the front end.
Regards, Hammy.
Sam_Bembs
Just Run In

Postby Sam_Bembs » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:20 pm

Thank you so much!! I'll get working on that!
Sam_Bembs
Just Run In

Postby Sam_Bembs » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:26 pm

The outside of it isn't bad at all really, not a massive amount of rust!
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:33 pm

The outside looks OK Sam....that is good news mate :)

Whilst we are all working out the front end, once you have the vactan, now would be a good time, to apply it to other areas that have surface rust...after cleaning of course, wire brush, scotch pad, flap wheel etc.... especially the underside of the car.

Now I don't want to sound like an old git or anything, and I know you are probably a big lad, but, it can never be over stressed about working safely underneath your car. Make sure you have axle stands in the correct places. If you feel you want to use more than 4 do so - I use 6. If you use triangular axle stands, don't have them all pointing in the same direction...stagger them so they are all opposite.

When underside....if dealing with rust.... or anything, use eye protection. As old as I am, I am still stupid and last year as others know, I had to go have my eye cleaned out with a dremel tool at hospital as I got rust in it. Also, you are a young lad...wear a dust mask.

As I say, I don't want to sound like a lecturing old git..... but when it comes to safety, it has to be drummed home - especially in us old gits cos we think we are invincible at times :)

Please though Sam...enjoy this time with the car...think ahead the finished car :)
Regards, Hammy.
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Oh, one more thing...when using the vactan. Wear latex gloves and really old clothes. When it dries.... it is hard to get off and turns blacker than a coal miners nostrils. Put something down on garage floor also...once on concrete, you won't get it off.
Regards, Hammy.

Return to “Welcome desk”