What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
Having problems logging in? Please clear your cache and remove the MazdaMenders related cookie from your browser.
If you need assistance doing this, don't hesitate to contact us on FaceBook or email forum-admin@mazdamenders.net stating the browser you use.

Regards
Admin

MX5 MK1 - West Yorkshire

Introduce yourself here. Tell us all about your passions and your pride and joy. We wont bite.
gl0ckage

MX5 MK1 - West Yorkshire

Postby gl0ckage » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Hey all, had my mazda 1 year now and it's in serious need of repair. I don't have a garage so I'm just waiting for summer. Names Cameron from West Yorkshire.

PROBLEMS:
gear stick gator is perished (previous owner used a glove)
Rear sills + front is rusting.
Drivers side window has no strings in.
Engine has no air filter.
Engine has slight leak.
Seats have rips
Seatbelt is fraying.
Rear license plate bulb is dimming.
Roof needs resealing as when wet it drops through, possibly condensation.

I'm wanting to fix all these issues and possibly look at the jag
Engine swap.

I've already bought the seat belts, the interior is being fully refitted in black with red diamond stitch by a local upholsterer.
Air filter needs a complete new one as after markets don't have any brackets to attach too.

Window is a fiddly job I'll get a garage to do that in all fairness.

Been quoted £2000 for all new rears Inc sills and all new fronts with the car then full resprayed in original mazda red. Not sure if this is good deal or not but they have previously done mx5 so I trust them to do the job.

Engine leak unsure where it is but it's slight leak.

The gators for gear shift are quite expensive as it's the bottom rubber part I'm missing.

I also want to bypass the cat for a better zaust grumble.
Will upload some pictures when I go to the pc.

Dealing with a right basket case haha.
blackyb

Re: MX5 MK1 - West Yorkshire

Postby blackyb » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:04 pm

Gear gators are not that expensive, change the nylon bush while your at it and top up the turret oil.

You will get bitten by the bug like the rest of us, cant comment on the quote for the body work and paint without seeing the car (a good set of pickies help the lads give you an honest opinion)

If you take your time and look through the forum, there are loads of how to's on this supported by loads of informative pictures and instructions..
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (Why did I sell it!!!!)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:17 pm

Greetings and welcome buddy
As said lets have pics and see what the cost is about, some of these jobs you can do yourself, which will save cash and help pond with the old girl.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 being rebuilt,
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 (claimed by daughter)
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ...being rebuilt

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
gl0ckage

Postby gl0ckage » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:37 am

Oh and my handbrake effort is low, was going to try adjust the screw in the handbrake but I'm looking at a brake upgrade.

Drivers side rear and front
ImageImageImageImageImage

Passenger side rear
ImageImage
I did this whilst checking the depth of the hole. Did a bad filler job to get it covered back up.
Last edited by gl0ckage on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
gl0ckage

Postby gl0ckage » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:24 pm

I also have rust on my windscreen pillar so windscreen needs to come out and handbrake needs sorting as it's low effort.
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Rock and a hard place I'm afraid.

You could probably get a clean MK1 for £1,500 to £2,500.

If you were good with body work and a Mig Welder you could do the rear end yourself.

The front wings are bolt on but there is allways some of the screws and nuts that are a pig to get out.

Handbrake can be the handbrake cable needed adjusted or the mechanisim in the rear caliper which may mean two new calipers.

Add on the other items and the cost to date and you may well pay more than the cost of a nice car.

On the other hand if it is done to a good standard you have a car with a long life ahead of it.
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Agree with "drumtochty" its decision time as you have a fair bit of work ahead of you with regards the body work, if your good with bodywork then that will keep the cost down, handbrake is the least of your worries at this time but something that can be fixed quite easily.

Suppose the question is how much do you love the old girl and how much do you want to spend to put her right compared to buying a better more sorted mk1.

If you decide to repair her and make a half decent job she should see you right for a good few years to come. She is certainly not beyond her sell by date.
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)

gl0ckage

Re: RE: Re: MX5 MK1 - West Yorkshire

Postby gl0ckage » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:49 pm

drumtochty wrote:Rock and a hard place I'm afraid.

You could probably get a clean MK1 for £1,500 to £2,500.

If you were good with body work and a Mig Welder you could do the rear end yourself.

The front wings are bolt on but there is allways some of the screws and nuts that are a pig to get out.

Handbrake can be the handbrake cable needed adjusted or the mechanisim in the rear caliper which may mean two new calipers.

Add on the other items and the cost to date and you may well pay more than the cost of a nice car.

On the other hand if it is done to a good standard you have a car with a long life ahead of it.

Bought it for £500, was expecting to pay £5k for what I wanted, bodywork + turbo or engine swap.

Bodywork I'm no good at I'm afraid.
blackyb wrote:Agree with "drumtochty" its decision time as you have a fair bit of work ahead of you with regards the body work, if your good with bodywork then that will keep the cost down, handbrake is the least of your worries at this time but something that can be fixed quite easily.

Suppose the question is how much do you love the old girl and how much do you want to spend to put her right compared to buying a better more sorted mk1.

If you decide to repair her and make a half decent job she should see you right for a good few years to come. She is certainly not beyond her sell by date.

Understandable, I love the car, I have motorbikes and a family car.

Only issue is its either do this mazda up or save for mustang. Or both if she will let me.

The thought of selling it hurts me already, so guess only option I've got is to get bodywork done first.

Like I said £2k for full new front and back end + windscreen pillar and sealing.

I also need to fix the air filter and do some detailing cam covers etc.

I did have the 2k aside but I need a new motorbike so that takes precedence seen as I commute on my motorbike majority of days.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:01 am

She is going to suck a lot more than 2k to get her rigjt buddy, i have broken 100% better for 200.
I would re think before to throw your money at her.
2,500 will get you a good roadster with a little bit of fettling.
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:28 pm

had a good look at the pickies of the tin worm attack, front wings could be sourced via reputable breakers or even some members on this site, the rears however are going to involve quite a bit of work and you wont know the full extent of the infestation till you start cutting, then of course there is the pillar to sort.

Your between a rock and hard place here, and only you can decide the final outcome.

You could make up a battle plan and do bits as funds permit if your intent on keeping her alive, my advice would be if your going to make her a keeper, do the very best you can.

As for a Mustang!! never did like horses but well into motorbikes as well as my "5"s.
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)

gl0ckage

Postby gl0ckage » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:47 pm

Well I think it's time to start getting this fixed. Not giving up on her just yet. I'll start with the small things until I source a front then will get her in to the body shop.

Like I said definitely don't want to sell and then buy another. I've grown close to this one :)

Bare in mind the 2k was for everything body work + a respray.
That's new fronts and rears and windscreen pillar.
Will discuss with swimbo see what she says.

Getting another zx9r as I just love the feel of them.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:56 pm

Your looking at 1,400 just for the rear arches and sills..thats before new front wings..windscreen pillars...a ful proper spray job is 1k plus and then you will have everything else to...3,500 will be closer plus buddy..
But all credit if you are going to save her correctly done.
M-m

blackyb

Postby blackyb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:13 pm

If you can get all that body work including a re-spray to a high standard that's going to last for 2k, then go for it, show us some pictures of the work being carried out and the end results and prove us all wrong. You might end up getting your mate some more work!!
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)

Return to “Welcome desk”