What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
Having problems logging in? Please clear your cache and remove the MazdaMenders related cookie from your browser.
If you need assistance doing this, don't hesitate to contact us on FaceBook or email forum-admin@mazdamenders.net stating the browser you use.

Regards
Admin

New owner of a MK1

Introduce yourself here. Tell us all about your passions and your pride and joy. We wont bite.
Gary_MX5MK1
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 8:55 pm
Location: Wigan

New owner of a MK1

Postby Gary_MX5MK1 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Recently became the owner of a 1600 mk1 import in great condition. One owner since it was imported in 1998 and they have looked after it so well! Pulled up behind Wayne a few days ago and was introduced to menders. Looking forward to getting involved with a few meets etc. As I said the car is mint (thanks to its previous owner), other than a bit of rust bobble on the back arches which are booked in to be re welded!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (522.01 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
User avatar
Mazda Mender
Site Admin
Posts: 12633
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:18 pm
Location: Pie land,North west
Contact:

Re: New owner of a MK1

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed May 17, 2017 6:38 am

Welcome buddy, good to meet you.
Lots of info in here on the tech side.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.


Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 being rebuilt,
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 (claimed by daughter)
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ...being rebuilt

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Gary_MX5MK1
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 8:55 pm
Location: Wigan

Re: New owner of a MK1

Postby Gary_MX5MK1 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 pm

First jobs are too:

replace the dash crash pad (as it is peeling away slightly)
add some chrome bars (styling ;))

I also need some advice on the best product to use for under sealing and the best way to apply it.

Cheers
grumpius
New
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: RE: New owner of a MK1

Postby grumpius » Wed May 17, 2017 5:37 pm

Gary_MX5MK1 wrote:Recently became the owner of a 1600 mk1 import in great condition. One owner since it was imported in 1998 and they have looked after it so well! Pulled up behind Wayne a few days ago and was introduced to menders. Looking forward to getting involved with a few meets etc. As I said the car is mint (thanks to its previous owner), other than a bit of rust bobble on the back arches which are booked in to be re welded!

Welcome looks really nice


Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Mazda Mender
Site Admin
Posts: 12633
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:18 pm
Location: Pie land,North west
Contact:

Re: New owner of a MK1

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed May 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Gary_MX5MK1 wrote:
I also need some advice on the best product to use for under sealing and the best way to apply it.

Cheers


You came to the right place bud.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.


Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 being rebuilt,
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 (claimed by daughter)
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ...being rebuilt

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
grumpius
New
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: RE: Re: RE: New owner of a MK1

Postby grumpius » Wed May 17, 2017 8:11 pm

grumpius wrote:
Gary_MX5MK1 wrote:Recently became the owner of a 1600 mk1 import in great condition. One owner since it was imported in 1998 and they have looked after it so well! Pulled up behind Wayne a few days ago and was introduced to menders. Looking forward to getting involved with a few meets etc. As I said the car is mint (thanks to its previous owner), other than a bit of rust bobble on the back arches which are booked in to be re welded!

Welcome looks really nice


Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I've got some chrome hoop bar's to sell. Came of mine. Good condition.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
drumtochty
Moderator
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:21 pm
Location: Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire

Re: New owner of a MK1

Postby drumtochty » Wed May 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Do not worry too much about products for underseal it is the prep you have to do to stop it getting worse prior to getting the goo on.

If a section is very rusty it may need replaced, primed and painted prior to putting on the goo.

If it is only surface rust then the area needs rubbed down, rust convertor, if possible primed and painted then underseal applied.

Some areas you cannot get to like the rear sills unless you cut out and weld, in this case there are products you can spray on to rust but I have my doubts, others are less worried in these cases.

Rust converts I use Bilthamber Hydrate 80 or Deox Gell others use other products like Jenolite as a rust convertor.
Dinitrol do their RC900 aerosol rust converter.

I have a number of primers but have not got longer term results yet, therefore will leave for others to suggest.

For use in sills or under wheel arch covers

I use either Bilthamber Dynax 50 which is both a dark creeping wax and has an anti-corrosion additive in it can be used even when it is not midsummer.

Hammerite Waxoyl tends to need heated before application in sills can a be bit smelly and there are those users who claim on a very warm day 2 years later it still drips out of sills.

Dinitrol do their 3125 dark colour cavity wax and 1000 clear cavity wax they all creep well and claim you can spray on rust. Similar to the Dynax 50 when applying.

On exposed surfaces there are two distinct products either a stonechip that reduces drumming in the floor and rust protects. They are great in unprotected wheel arches on Subaru and Mitsubishi vehicles that do not have wheel arch protectors and come in paintable pots, aerosols or Schultz cans for use with a compressor. They do not self repair themselves. They can dry out over time, disbond and hold water or dampness between them and the steel of the car.

Underbody waxes repair themselves if there is a small scrape but tend to need topped up say every few years and are no use in non-protected wheel arches or where there is a lot of abrasion.

Stonechip is usually over paintable and is available for Hammerite as Stone Chip Shield in various colours and Dinitrol as 445, 447 in black and grey. Other venders sell stone chip like your local motor factor. They are available in aerosol and Schultz cans for compressors.

Traditional Type Underseal

Hammerite Underbody Seal comes in cans to paint on and is black. Comes in aerosols and Schultz cans for compressors.

Underbody Waxes

Bilthamber do UB that is a dirty brown not black and UC that is clear. Available in all the normal cans, aerosols and Shultz cans.

Dinitrol also do their underbosy waxes in Black, brown and clear again in Schultz and aerosols

If you use a compressor you get a better finish and more power to get into sills but you need to do lots of masking.

Aerosols and painting on products mean less masking as they are more controlled in application but less power into sills and probably less uniform finishes but that depends on your own work.

As always these works need maintained every couple of years.
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire
Gary_MX5MK1
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 8:55 pm
Location: Wigan

Re: RE: Re: RE: New owner of a MK1

Postby Gary_MX5MK1 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:09 am

grumpius wrote:
grumpius wrote:
Gary_MX5MK1 wrote:Recently became the owner of a 1600 mk1 import in great condition. One owner since it was imported in 1998 and they have looked after it so well! Pulled up behind Wayne a few days ago and was introduced to menders. Looking forward to getting involved with a few meets etc. As I said the car is mint (thanks to its previous owner), other than a bit of rust bobble on the back arches which are booked in to be re welded!

Welcome looks really nice


Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I've got some chrome hoop bar's to sell. Came of mine. Good condition.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk


Send me a PM please. :text-thankyouyellow:
User avatar
vindaloo
Just Run In
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:05 pm
Location: Leigh, Lancashire

Re: New owner of a MK1

Postby vindaloo » Fri May 19, 2017 11:05 am

Welcome to another Wigan area owner
2008 NC 2.0 Sport
Engine/Driveline: BBR/AT Power 42mm 'Super 225' individual throttle body conversion, BBR Super 200 cams, BBR EcuTek remap, Racing Beat 4-1 stainless steel exhaust manifold, GWR Roadstersport 2.5 inch stainless mid pipe with 200 cell sports cat, GWR Roadstersport 'Super Q' silencer, Supertech uprated valve springs, Supertech Ti valve spring retainers, K&N air filter in modified OEM housing with 3 inch MAF housing, Odula RS intake scoop, modified breather/PCV system with catch can, Competition Clutch 5.35kg lightweight flywheel, Flyin' Miata Level 1 clutch
Chassis: Ohlins 'Road&Track' DFV coilovers, Eibach anti-roll bars with Superpro bushes, ILM chassis braces (front/middle/rear lower), Auto-Exe Japan front upper strut brace

Return to “Welcome desk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests