What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Hi all, new here with a 2001 MK 2.5. Trying to get hold of the Mazda Mender himself...

Introduce yourself here. Tell us all about your passions and your pride and joy. We wont bite.
DSH694
Just Run In

Hi all, new here with a 2001 MK 2.5. Trying to get hold of the Mazda Mender himself...

Postby DSH694 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:30 am

Hello everyone,

bought a new MK2.5 2001 around 3 weeks and it has been an absolute blast,

I am determined to get this car in tip top shape after finding out it had been in a prior accident (I know I know.. should have checked before buying), however i've not let that put me off having fun with this car,

I'm planning to take it to a garage to fix a few things such as bent subframe but the one thing I am really struggling with is 2 flash warning light on the airbag indicator,

from reading up this sounds like a 'bad computer' code and the airbag module therefore needs replacing,

I know my way around very basic maintenance and usually brave enough to take bits apart such as replacing trim, lights etc but knowing where the module is located and how much effort it is to get to, I would very much prefer to pay someone to do it for me,

I can't see the point of taking it to a mechanic/Mazda themselves to diagnose it as the problem based on the flash code is quite clear (at least I think so anyway),

Mazda Mender, if you are out there and reading this, it would mean the world if you could get in touch!
GlennyGills

Re: Hi all, new here with a 2001 MK 2.5. Trying to get hold of the Mazda Mender himself...

Postby GlennyGills » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:56 am

Hi,
I guess one of the first things to check is to see if the ECU area under the passenger footwell carpet is damp.
'96 Gleneagles MeisterR Coilovers - engine bling stainless mx5parts full exhaust
DSH694
Just Run In

Re: Hi all, new here with a 2001 MK 2.5. Trying to get hold of the Mazda Mender himself...

Postby DSH694 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:59 am

GlennyGills wrote:Hi,
I guess one of the first things to check is to see if the ECU area under the passenger footwell carpet is damp.

Thanks I'll check now. What would this suggest?

I know it has been in an accident and I can tell the steering wheel has been replaced, probably because the airbag deployed. Reason I know is because i have an older Nardi steering wheel when my car is a 2001,

That to me suggests there is crash data stored on the ECU and therefore needs replacing,
DSH694
Just Run In

Postby DSH694 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:30 pm

Just checked and seems pretty dry!
Ron_Tomo
New

Postby Ron_Tomo » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:51 pm

Welcome mate, your in the right place lots of help avaliable by some really knowlageable people on here. loads to read through on the fourm too. Make sure and have a good read I leared a lot about my car over the past few weeks.
Mk 1 Eunos 89 Silver
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:00 pm

How bad was the hit to the front to bend a subframe..
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
DSH694
Just Run In

Postby DSH694 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:10 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:How bad was the hit to the front to bend a subframe..
M-m

Hello! I’m not sure really I’ve got no record of it but it seems the car is leaning slightly to the right from the back so I think it’s actually the back subframe that’s bent even though the accident was at the front.

They could have just driven over a big stone or a curb maybe? :s

The subframe I’m not too worried about because I know a few garages that can help me with that. It’s the airbag light that concerns me as every garage wants to charge a few hundred for a diagnostic first even though it’s pretty clear what the issue actually is (2 flashes can only mean one thing in the realm of airbag codes and that’s a bad ECU)
DSH694
Just Run In

Postby DSH694 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:59 am

Also in case you are thinking wow what an idiot... Believe me, I really do feel like one. I was on the hunt for a MK3 for ages and thought you know what, why not go for a MK2... stumbled upon a few but I think I got to the point where I was just shopping around too much and had to make a decision. Came across this one and on paper it just looked really good for the value. £2k, recently been resprayed, sills done, 40k miles, generally in good shape and alloys refurbed to boot.

Anyway being the excited little chap I was, took it to my dad who pointed out that the radiator looked brand new which felt odd, as well as some nuts/bolts which had no rust. Again, odd.

Did a HPI check for peace of mind and well what do you know... Cat N! Happy days :)

Anyway for £2k I am not heartbroken and I'm not planning to part with the car any time soon, so it is what it is. There is still value in the lesson itself and while I normally HPI my cars on this occassion the deal seemed too good to pass up. To be fair to the guy, he wasn't being deceptive either. It was a secondary car that was given to a mechanic to cover the repair cost on their daily driver, and it was the mechanic who sold it to me. So for all intents and purposes it was a private sale.

So yep, that's me and my new (slightly bent) MK2 MX-5 :)
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:41 am

Welcome.

To me, its had a wallop on the front end, the new rad and shiney new nuts and bolts would be bit of a giveaway in that somethings been replaced, yep maybe just a new rad as the old one had popped, but a few more deeper questions would have followed. Subframes although not bullet proof do take a fair knock to bend them.

On the fault light, I have a relatively cheap Euro Car parts OBDII hand held reader that I used to use of our now departed Mk2.5. Couldnt reset codes with it but it read all of them. I am lucky enough to help out in a local garage that has a super duper thingy that I am allowed to use and that does clear codes although.

You might want to check the wiring as we have seen codes flash up that were all down to a broken wire, loose or furred up connection.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:26 pm

It could be a number of things , but without see her and getting a OBD II reader on her to see if she is telling us anything? Has this warning light been on since you bought her?
I am on my jollies so maybe we could speak next week...what makes you think the rear subframe is bent ? What kind of work was done to her after this impact?
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
DSH694
Just Run In

Postby DSH694 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:15 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:It could be a number of things , but without see her and getting a OBD II reader on her to see if she is telling us anything? Has this warning light been on since you bought her?
I am on my jollies so maybe we could speak next week...what makes you think the rear subframe is bent ? What kind of work was done to her after this impact?
M-m

So when I first bought the car I wanted to fully understand the instrument cluster and all the lights since some of them had never turned on in the week or so that I’d driven it. Being as curious as I was took it apart and realised the airbag light was actually blown so I replaced it and it’s been flashing ever since.

My guess is prior owner never bothered to fix it and it was flashing so much it just eventually burnt out. So yeah in a way the issue has been there since I bought it, but the lights only just telling me now!

Also I’ve already taken it to a mechanic who told me about the bent subframe but needed the car at that point so never got it fixed. The reason I felt something was wrong was because the car leans slightly to the right and steering is also a bit lighter to the right. I think the lean has created a weight bias most likely.

Also yeah would really appreciate it you could take some time to look. Would mean a lot! I will keep in touch with you next week.

I think a mechanic could take care of the other issues it’s just the airbag light really. Don’t really want to go near any airbag related stuff myself since technically they’re explosive devices…
DSH694
Just Run In

Postby DSH694 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:50 pm

Sooooo thought I may as well give an update as to where I am up to with the car...

First things first, I don't actually think the subframes bent. Looks like the garage I went to was talking rubbish. I'm not anything of a mechanic myself but being as annoyed/curious as i was i got a pair of ramps and went under there myself. The subframe is as straight as ever.

Another garage said it could be the suspension bushings but as far as i know, that would only cause the car to lean excessively during turning/driving, not when its off and stationary..

Which brings me onto my final point, looking at the bottom of the car properly i'm pretty sure its been lowered from factory height, so it could very well be a botched lowering job as i know in some cases the lowering springs need to be cut from stock and they could very well have just been cut unevenly. If it is, then its a bit of a relief and don't mind leaving it as it is assuming it wont cause too much uneven wear on tyres, but i would like to confirm it properly, so i will take it out for another opinion.

As for the warning light on the airbag, still no luck. I've ordered an OBD computer which should hopefully come tomorrow. That may be able to tell me what the issue is and could potentially clear it from the computer itself? Who knows at this point :)

thanks all
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:57 am

Well I am back off holiday , so I could take a quick look at her, where are you?
M-m

Return to “Welcome desk”