What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Dealer installed the wrong spark plugs

General chat on all things Mx/Roadster
HypnoToad
New

Dealer installed the wrong spark plugs

Postby HypnoToad » Sun May 31, 2015 9:33 pm

Just a quick heads up for those who bought a used car, mine came with a service history and the plugs were changed at around 70K by a main dealer. All well and good, but as my car has now done almost double the mileage, I thought it would be worth checking the plugs, in order to check for burns and check the gap also.

When I took them out, I was surprised to see that the dealer had installed the wrong type:

They had installed NGK ILTR6A-8G plugs, when the specified plug is an NGK ILTR6A-13G, as I've got the 2.0 MK3 MX5.
Flipped the plug over, the Mazda code on the other side:
The Mazda service manual states the Mazda part number for the plugs is either L3G2 18 110 or L3Y1 18 110, not L3Y3 18 110.

After a little research it seems that the NGK ILTR6A-8G is for the Mazda 2.3L turbo engine, and my engine has been running around with the wrong plugs for the past 50K miles or so! I've gapped these plugs to the needed spec now, from 0.8mm to 1.2mm, and have ordered some ILTR6A-13G plugs also.

If you bought your car used and have not yet had the plugs out, spend a few minutes and double check, 99% they're the right ones, but in my case they were not! :roll:
drumtochty

Re: Dealer installed the wrong spark plugs

Postby drumtochty » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:46 pm

It is exactly the same plug but with a 0.8mm gap as opposed to a 1.3mm gap.

Therefore you would probably not notice any difference, OK it should be opened up to 1.3mm but worse has happened at sea!

eddie
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire

Return to “Mx/Roadster Chat and Banter”