What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Which air filter

General chat on all things Mx/Roadster
GlennyGills

Which air filter

Postby GlennyGills » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:48 pm

I recently added a MX5Parts Stainless exhaust, which was a bit louder than expected, :eek: so I removed the Cone filter to reduce overall noise. :-| I re-fitted the original air box with a cheap air filter. However, there is a perceived power loss since the replacement. :sad: My question: Are the performance air filter that fit within the std air box any real benefit or should I just go back to the Cone?
Has anyone got any experience with these costly performance filters (non-cone)?

Thanks
'96 Gleneagles MeisterR Coilovers - engine bling stainless mx5parts full exhaust
71notout
Regular

Re: Which air filter

Postby 71notout » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:02 pm

A lot of folk claim that the standard airbox design (on a Mk1 at least) is the best in terms of performance.

Some folk run with that and standard filter, others run with that and a drop-in K&N.

I have just junked mine to fit a cone filter as I love the induction roar - I know all about heatsoak and possible losses in performance but let's be honest, in standard trim, these aren't exactly tarmac ripping machines anyway are they?

If you can source an ARC Chamber from a jap import, they get good rep, or a Jackson Racing setup which pulls air from the front of the slam panel and (I believe) directs it into the standard setup?

I am contemplating adding a Randall Cowl setup that involves cutting a hole in the flange above the firewall and adding some piping that takes cold air from the high pressure area there and directing it towards the cone filter but I am still contemplating it all.

I do run a small heatshield around my cone filter as well but as to how effective it will be...
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:11 pm

If you are looking to drop in a panel filter, I HIGHLY recommend a multi density foam panel as it is by far the most efficient at filtering particles as well as air flow. The paper and cotton gauze ones are only as efficient as the largest hole in them. Oiled cotton filters tend to get over-oiled by the users and end up sending too much oil/oil vapour through the intake manifold and end up gunking everything up. Million mile warranty or not, you'll need more frequent oil changes due to the amount of contaminants making their way into the engine.

Cone filters make a great induction noise but - as mentioned above - they generally suck hot air and don't bring much in terms of performance. Shielded cones (scuttle or behind a vented headlight) are better but will still be noisy.

An ARC Magic chamber with a factory air box will be as close as you'll get to complimenting the exhaust in terms of flow (this is what I have) but a JR or ARC intake would be one step up (if you can find a good one).

Good luck deciding
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:04 am

All mine are running aftermarket filters, they are cheap enough for a good one, not the cheap crap off the bay of E, but any gains will only happen when you fit the rest in line, IE:- down pipe, cat , mid seciton and box.
Is your MK 1 de-catted ? as that will make a big difference to the noise, plus the Mx5 parts/IL motorsport box can be load, you could change the back box for something better and a better Grrrrrr out put, that way you can re-fit the cone filter.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:21 pm

The car is too young to be de-catted (1996). I really don't want to change the new S/S back box as it was not cheap, so I am going for an aftermarket better quality foam jobbie. Perhaps it was just a perception that it felt faster with the Cone filter on.
'96 Gleneagles MeisterR Coilovers - engine bling stainless mx5parts full exhaust

Return to “Mx/Roadster Chat and Banter”