What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

MOT debacle - does your Eunos need a CAT?

General chat on all things Mx/Roadster
Creepy
Regular

MOT debacle - does your Eunos need a CAT?

Postby Creepy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:19 pm

I thought I’d share a rather interesting scenario which MAY save you a few quid and a lot of hassle if you have a Pre-1995 import and want a hassle free MOT.

A couple of weeks back I sent my 1993 Mk1 Eunos Roadster for its MOT (it’s first with me as the owner). Don’t tell anyone but it was actually about 8 months expired…oooooops!

Anyway, I was sure it would sail through the test as I knew the lights, horn, tyres, brakes were all working AND I bought it from MM so the engine was purring and running as new. Nothing to worry about I thought. How wrong was I?

A few hours after dropping the Eunos at the MOT station, I received a phone call telling me it had failed on emissions? "WHAT THE F?", I thought

Anyway, to cut a long story short it became apparent that Catalytic convertor had been replaced at some point with a bypass pipe. However, in order to pass the emissions, test the MOT station were insisting it needed a CAT. “oh Bugger” I thought, this could cost me a couple of hundred quid to resolve.”
In desperation I call MM and as expected he gave me a couple of golden nuggets and intel which allowed me to research further.

HERE’S WHAT MM TOLD ME: “Many MOT Stations don’t have a clue and haven’t read the regulations! You don’t need a CAT on imports pre-1995.”

HERE’S WHAT I DISCOVERED: You need to read the MOT regulations document: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... dition.pdf

WHY IS THIS DOCUMENT IMPORTANT? It’s the get-out of jail free card for those with a MK1 (and maybe Mk2??) Jap import, that’s pre August 1995.

WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW? If you have an pre August 1995 motor with a VIN that’s NOT Listed in the Annex of the document, then the car MUST be tested to non-catalyst standards. i.e. Anything that’s an import won’t have a VIN that’s listed in the Annex. So if it’s pre-1995 then it needs to be tested against non-cat emissions…i.e. The MOT station must test the car against the non-cat emissions (which are not as strict as the CAT test).

HOW DO I PROVE IT TO THE MOT STATION? Ask them to check page 5 of the official regulations doc above read it! The footnote is the key “Passenger cars first used before 1 August 1995 and not mentioned in the Annex to this publication are tested to non-catalyst standards.”

END RESULT: MOT pass with flying colours AND with no CAT :-) To be fair, the MOT Station admitted they weren’t aware of this scenario and had completely missed the footnote details. Fair play, every day is a learning day.

MY FOOTNOTE: Special thanks as always to MM for his advice. I also have to thank an old friend, Landwomble, who searched the Web and located the link to the MOT regulations on another forum.

FINAL POINT: I reckon I saved about £200 on a new CAT due to MM’s advice, so I made a donation to the forum. I hope that if this thread saves others a few quid then maybe you can make a donation too? I for one would be scuppered without the forums/MM’s knowledge.
Speedy
Epic Poster

Re: MOT debacle - does your Eunos need a CAT?

Postby Speedy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:28 pm

What a result, well done MM, well done Creepy. Thanks for the very kind donation.
1989 Fresh import with 30,000 km, Maruha Four Pot calipers, 270mm disks, Rose jointed drop links, Uprated ARB's, MeisterR CRD Coilovers, Rota wheels, LSD, Zoom console, Maruha Alternator, Jenvey ITB's, Megasquirt ECU
1st Modified Class Bristol OC Spring Rally
2nd Weston Park April 2017
1st 'Modern Classic' Stafford Castle Classic Show July 2018
3rd 'Best Japanese Classic' Tatton Park Aug 18
1st Modified Class Ragley Hall OC National SEP 18
1st Easter show Weston Park 2019
2nd 80's class Newport Easter show 2019

2011 2.0 RC Sport Tech in Aluminium, Smart Top.
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Creepy wrote: “Passenger cars first used before 1 August 1995 and not mentioned in the Annex to this publication are tested to non-catalyst standards.”

In my ccase they argued that mine (a Dec 1992) was imported in 1999 and and was therefore "first used" (in the UK) in 1999 and should meet the 1999 test. At that point i had almost completely given up but luckily i managed to proove my car was an NA6CE and therefore not listed in the annex.

They were failing me on the CO fast idle test which my car is exempt from. Cat test was aced as i actually have a cat in my car.
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!
Creepy
Regular

Postby Creepy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:14 pm

storm wrote:
Creepy wrote: “Passenger cars first used before 1 August 1995 and not mentioned in the Annex to this publication are tested to non-catalyst standards.”

In my ccase they argued that mine (a Dec 1992) was imported in 1999 and and was therefore "first used" (in the UK) in 1999 and should meet the 1999 test. At that point i had almost completely given up but luckily i managed to proove my car was an NA6CE and therefore not listed in the annex.

They were failing me on the CO fast idle test which my car is exempt from. Cat test was aced as i actually have a cat in my car.

Glad you got it through it's MOT in the end Storm. 'Constant tapping breaks the stone!' :-)
Sounds like the MOT stations interpret the rules as they see fit. I sent mine back to the same station the other week and they were duly reminded that it should be tested against non-cat standards. Interestingly they remember the black-un from 12 months ago and it sailed through this time. PHEW! :dance:
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:31 pm

As luck would have it my cat died on the way to Gaydon. Time for a replacement :laughing-rolling:
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:36 pm

Your cat did not die...the sensor did.
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:15 pm

All this stuff about cats dying reminds me of a great film that had very little to do with cats, in fact nothing at all to do with catalytic converters.

:bow-yellow:

I have printed off the info from this post just in case either the cat fails on our 91 Eunos or I decide the replace the down pipes with some nice shiney stainless ones and do away with the cat at the same time.

:handgestures-thumbup:
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!

Return to “Mx/Roadster Chat and Banter”