What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Thoughts on the Forum

This not just our forum but yours also, so tell us what you need and want from us for you, to make it easier and better for everyone, we are an open book and in your hands
altruistic1964
Regular

Thoughts on the Forum

Postby altruistic1964 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Thought I would share some thoughts on the Forum - overall I think it is an excellent forum but here is my two penneth worth:

While I was over at Wayne’s getting my MX5 serviced over the weekend, I asked about how the forum was going and he said it was going from strength to strength. He did ask me to think of any way that the forum could be improved: I did say that for people who have no absolutely no technical expertise and know-how (I include myself on this point) I sometimes find it a little intimidating (this could be me being ultra-sensitive?) if I ask what I think is a genuine question and then I worry about how this is perceived by those whose car knowledge skills are way above my own rather superficial level.

I don’t think I am alone in thinking this. As an example, I posted on the forum to say that I changed a bulb in my tail-light and you would not believe how worried I was that someone would pour scorn on what I thought was a major accomplishment; nobody did pour scorn, thankfully, but the worry was still there.

I think it would be a good idea if there were two forums working side-by-side: one for the “car novices” like myself and the other for those with the “Car Knowledge.” The “Car Novice" Forum (for want of a better name) could be used to communicate to people who had a basic knowledge of cars and the other forum could cater for those with that extra car knowledge. I think this will encourage people who are a little reticent to post on the Forum.

I know Wayne was talking about having “tech” days and I wondered whether these could be split into two categories: those that are for “beginners” and those that are for "advanced”. I think if I was at one of these tech days with someone who was vastly more knowledgeable I would feel a little bit intimidated and a little out of my depth .....

What is everyone else’s thoughts on the subject?

Keep up the good work Wayne - I for one acknowledge and appreciate the time and effort of both Wayne and other contributors to this Forum that makes this a valuable repository for all things MX-5.
David Watson (Huddersfield)
(Currently MX5-less but working on it.....)
Hamish
Serial Poster

Re: Thoughts on the Forum

Postby Hamish » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi David,

No-one was ever shot for asking questions and there are no stupid questions, but there can be stupid answers. I hear what you are saying, but a split into novice/expert camps runs the risk of of a novice answering a question/giving advice incorrectly. that will likely be interupted by a more experienced person correcting it...then that runs the risk of creating a 'situation'.

Even experts were novices once...

No-one should feel intimidated about posting anything - question/idea.

The forum is designed to treat everyone as equal as we all share a common interest - the MX5. As such, we are all family :)
Regards, Hammy.
1990 Eunos 1.6 Classic Red, soon to be a different colour
DavesBRG5

Postby DavesBRG5 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:26 pm

David I`ve been to a few tech days & it`s a great opportunity to meet like minded people. If there`s a few jobs you would like to do to your car but you`re not sure how there will no doubt be someone there who`s done it before & will be more than happy to help.

Some turn up to swap their suspension or change the oil / filter etc & others just to fit a few shiny bits or wax the car. No one is expected to know everything. It`s more a case of a social gathering & an opportunity to help each other out & have a look at the other cars.

We`ve even been known to finish the day off with a run out & a pub lunch :obscene-drinkingcheers:
DAVE

1992 1.6 BRG V-Spec - 2003 MK2.5 Sport - 1992 ROADSTER 1.6.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:05 pm

I think what Dave is saying( as we had a really good chat) is that because menders is geared around the tech stuff, there are owners like dave who want to feel more part of it but don't feel like they can join in because it is 90% techy, so they just pop in and read, so there needs to be a chat side/social side for those members owners that like what we do and what we stand for, but want to just chat with other owners that just use them for what they were built for ....driving.
If i am wrong Dave please shot me down buddy as you thoughts do count for menders to keep working in the right way, if there are others that feel the same way please join in.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Hamish wrote:Hi David,

No-one was ever shot for asking questions and there are no stupid questions, but there can be stupid answers. I hear what you are saying, but a split into novice/expert camps runs the risk of of a novice answering a question/giving advice incorrectly. that will likely be interupted by a more experienced person correcting it...then that runs the risk of creating a 'situation'.

Even experts were novices once...

No-one should feel intimidated about posting anything - question/idea.

The forum is designed to treat everyone as equal as we all share a common interest - the MX5. As such, we are all family :)

:text-goodpost: :bow-yellow:
Mk1 1.6 Turbo. Gaz shocks. Tr Lane roll bar.
Garage Owner, Lincolshire
Helper to the Scunny track day crew and North Linc's Track Day Club.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:16 am

This is NOT the forum where you get shot down in flames. I am a novice, but learning all the time and happy to share what I have learnt.

We (The Buccaneer5) have regular tech days where we do anything form stick a few LED's in a car to changing an engine. Still to do this year are a hood replacement, fitting leccy windows to a MKI, I am mopping a new owners car in a couple of weeks, the list goes on. Tech days are great fun, the important thing is to make sure that between those attending you have the knowledge to carry out the tasks, work safely, have a laugh and enjoy the time spent with fellow enthusiasts.
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:47 am

I agree with all the above stuff. That's all I can say really. No question is to small & no one knows everything
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:01 am

altruistic1964 wrote:I know Wayne was talking about having “tech” days and I wondered whether these could be split into two categories: those that are for “beginners” and those that are for "advanced”. I think if I was at one of these tech days with someone who was vastly more knowledgeable I would feel a little bit intimidated and a little out of my depth .....

No, how will you learn from other novices?
Barn1e
Regular

Postby Barn1e » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:13 pm

As a newbie on here - my perspective.

Many years ago, I used to do DIY on my old Vauxhall Viva, but with the passage of time and newer cars, some of which were company cars, my need to DIY diminished. But my "fleet" of cars for SWMBO and two sons, as well as my own D3 mean I now have to do more of the work on the cars than I used to. I am not doing this because it is a hobby, but driven by need. That said, I enjoy solving problems and having something tangible at the end - a far cry from the day job! So, still a novice, but happy to dable - up to a point.

Eight years ago, when the D3 came out I joined the Disco3.co.uk forum, not because I wanted to do the work on the car myself, but because the Forum knew more about the issues with the new D3 than the dealers did and the indie's knew even less. As a non-techi I found it really helpful and I am still active, looking out for the things that will go wrong and trying to either prevent them or address them more cost effectively.

I never felt out of place on that Forum and I don't on this one. I would rather the Forum remained as one for the novice AND the techi because it provides a single place to go to find and hear information that may be of use.

Indeed, this is one challenge that I do have with this forum - navigating the many "Jump to" locations. Creating a separate forum would create more complexity and distribute the knowledge into more locations.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future I might get to a "meeting" and put faces to names (yes I have seen the meet the team but not the same as "in the flesh").
Barn1e
MY51 Mk2.5 1.8 Sport in Crystal Blue
altruistic1964
Regular

Postby altruistic1964 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Evening All. I am glad to see that my message has prompted some healthy debate and I broadly agree with all that has been said really. Hamish - as per your first comment, yes I hadn't thought of that....

To use an analogy: I think Mao Tse Tung said "a journey of 1,000 miles always starts with but a single step" and it is probably the same thing here - you start off as a Novice but with encouragement and support should be able to tackle the more difficult jobs and progress to becoming more knowledgeable. I actually think some of this is down to me to "get over myself" and get stuck in if I am being brutally honest....

As Wayne knows, I was speaking to him with regard to getting rid of my MKII (and still unsure whether I keep her :sad: ) but if I did keep it I would love to be able to see how a cam belt (and all the other bits and bobs that go with that) is changed (it is due September 2014) so would be more than happy to take part in that exercise and to post on the Forum afterwards with news of how I got on.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:21 pm

It is nice to see you posting Dave :bow-yellow:
As for the Roadster, sort her out and keep her (better the devil you know :handgestures-thumbup: :coffee: ) as for the water pump and cam belt, more than happy to do it and you can man the camera ,pad an pen :handgestures-thumbup:
I'll even give you a couple of bolts to tighten :wink:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
altruistic1964
Regular

Postby altruistic1964 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:43 am

Thanks for the offer Wayne; may just take you up on that. Dave

Return to “Your Suggestions”