What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Fitting a Supercharger

Car sales, services, and Mx/Roadster enthusiast, owned by one of the admin team, Nedski aka Neil stokes, fellow owners always welcome for a brew and a jammie dodger.
nedski
Serial Poster

Fitting a Supercharger

Postby nedski » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:22 am

There are quite a few threads on the internet on this subject. Some are fitted to show cars and are pristine examples. Once again this is being fitted to a track car and daily driver. Please excuse the scruffy engine bay as I'm not about to spend days cleaning it for photo's :-D .

This car came in for work a year ago when I gas flowed and skimmed the head for higher compression. A megasquirt was fitted along with fast road cams. The car has been faultless for this year but this is it's next upgrade for more power.

Box of goodies to fit. The supercharger an Eaton M45. The brackets are TR Lane.

With this engine having a 40thou head skim already the compression needs bringing back down. Therefore the cylinder head gasket is getting changed for a cometic one that is much fatter. Normally you would not need to do this.

Head coming off.

The head is off and needs a clean ready for it's new gasket.

The gas flowed ports still look fine.

A gasket comparison. The old one above and the thick one below to lower compression. This would not normally need doing on a standard cylinder head, but I'm showing it anyway.

After that the cylinder head was re fitted and were back to the start.

ONE Scruffy looking second hand Supercharger.

The rear still has the Mini water pump attached. This will come off and a blanking plate will be made.

Making a template for a new blanking plate.

This is a TR Lane inlet that needs attaching to the supercharger. Earlier versions were a bit of a pain but this one simply slips oner the top. For extra security I'm drilling dimples into the suprecharge where the small bots are. These will prevent the bolts from slipping and the flange from falling off.

I marked where the bolt will go and then drill a dimple.

The next modification is cutting off a mounting Lug used by the Mini but no needed here as it fouls the outlet pipe.
You can see it is in the way in this photo.

now the outlet fits a treat with enough room to attach hoses too.

At this point I was stuck for some Alloy for the blanking plate so moved onto the engine mounting brackets for a test fit.

I assumed the plate would sit directly onto the exhaust manifold and then both be bolted together onto the head with one nut. This left a gap and I assumed there was an error in manufacture. Turns out the exhaust is fully bolted on as normal and the brackets are spaced out properly with the exhaust nut being under the new bracket. To be honest there is not much thread left on the exhaust stud to hold the new bracket inplace. This pic shows were an exhaust nut goes underneath.

Its on as a loose test fit.

More to follow.
Mk1 1.6 Turbo. Gaz shocks. Tr Lane roll bar.
Garage Owner, Lincolshire
Helper to the Scunny track day crew and North Linc's Track Day Club.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
blackyb

Re: Fitting a Supercharger

Postby blackyb » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Would love to supercharge our Eunos but Wayne would kick my a##e for messing with her.

:teasing-neener:
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:02 pm

I thought the porting was a good read this is going to be great... :text-goodpost:
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4699
DavesBRG5

Postby DavesBRG5 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:50 am

Shultz very interesting.jpg
Shultz very interesting.jpg (64.74 KiB) Viewed 23573 times
DAVE

1992 1.6 BRG V-Spec - 2003 MK2.5 Sport - 1992 ROADSTER 1.6.
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:51 am

Steady as we go :handgestures-thumbup:

Had some quality Alloy :eek: dropped off for the blanking plate at the rear of the supercharger where the water pump was removed.

New plate fabricated.

THROTTLE LINKAGE.
The supercharger will need two throttle bodies to run with an intercooler. It will Also run a bypass valve when off the throttle.
Googling found this link and there are many more. http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=394583
It's not to easy to explain :confusion-confused:
So first job is to make it possible to have a second throttle cable to the second throttle body. Two extra throttle bodies were delivered but the cable "wheel" for want of a better word wasn't right. As luck would have it I had a spare from an engine swap. I think it might be from a 1.6 auto. This has another piece to accept and pull a second cable.
Sorry thread jumps around a bit but I take and upload photo's as I go along. If something arrives to fit it gets done next.

Standard throttle pulley left that needs the one on the right fitting to it, for double cables.

This is what I'm working towards. Yes I take photo's and research :handgestures-thumbup: Don't like all the crews though.

Taken off the throttle bodies. It's not a simple swap.

I've drilled out the spot welds and taken off the original cable wheel. I'm going to weld though the holes later.

A bit of welding.

Hey presto wheels are swapped over. Two cables can now be attached.

www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:34 pm

Carrying on with throttle bodies.

This time mounting the second throttle body to the rear of the supercharger.

This photo shows the second "TB" . The Idle air control valve is missing from underneath and needs a plate to blank it off also.

This wide masking tape is going to be the template to cut out my metal plate.

Hey presto a blanking plate.

And cleaned up and painted

I was short of a "TB" mounting gasket. So Simply made one.

This is the "TB" and it's mount put together.

Mounted onto the supercharger. Note the small butterfly mounted to the charger outlet. This is an Air bypass valve for when the throttles are closed. The bypass allows air to escape being rammed into a closed butterfly at the engine when off throttle. The supercharger always pumps air and basically the engine door would be shut and building up pressure straining eveything. With the Bypass open the air simply escapes and loops back into the inlet and harmlessly goes around in circles.

Pipes to join the bypass outlet back to the inlet.

pipes dummy fitted

Second throttle cable. As one moves it pulls the next.

A bracket for the other end.

Bracket in place and a dummy route for the cable. Not overly happy with it going over the engine. It might get changed.

Notice the nose pulley is off the supercharger. A 15% reduction is on order.
I Have pullers and heat but it wouldn't budge, so it was cut off.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
Mxmurray
Serial Poster

Postby Mxmurray » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:00 am

Superb project,looking forward to the finished article.
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:31 am

Things are slow going while waiting for parts.

Anyway the 15% reduction pulley has arrived. I can now order a pulley belt after working out it's size 1250mm.

While I'm waiting I'm building up some pipes out of the universal kit to join to the intercooler.
Some brackets were made and attached where the aircon rad would fit. A good secure mounting for the intercooler.

Not much room to route a 2.5" pipe.

Next job is a swage at the end of the pipes to stop them blowing off.
So it's £200 for a tool or make my own.

Squeeze the mole grips and make a dent. Work around the pipe around three times and hey presto.

Not a massive swage but perfectly big enough to stop pipes blowing off with the boost.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:32 pm

After reading a few stories of the weight of the supercharger, and the tension from the belt actually breaking off the side of the cylinder head casting, I decided to fabricate an extra support. This comes from the engine mount on a triangulated arm and straight up under the supercharger.
Photo's help I think.

You can see the rod/strut going straight down.

crawled under for this shot from where it bolts to the block at the engine mount.

Things are nearly there now. :handgestures-thumbup:
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:37 am

Happy days up and running :dance: :dance:

Found a slight difference between my MK1 on megasquirt and this one. Mine runs with the idle air control valve unplugged , but this one wouldn't even start. Electronics are a minefield even on old cars.

Changed the megasquirt to run the yellow injectors and then ran up to full temp. Sweetness lol :handgestures-thumbup:

Rolling road in a week or so for some figures.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:23 pm

Jolly good
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:29 pm

ROLLING ROAD

Three and a half hour drive to Dale Bladen at Bailey Performance. http://www.baileyperformance.co.uk
What a Whizz on the electronics, we had a power feed fault from the megasquirts initial install a year ago. We didn't pick it up and neither did the megasquirts supplier or their in house rolling road a year ago. Tut Tut. Once he had opened up the megasquirt and re soldered and bridged the power supply we were ready.

The power runs showed up low boost from the charger only 5psi, we were hoping for 8psi. The head and cams were flowing well so that could account for a drop of maybe 1psi less back pressure from the head. That leaves 2 missing psi that we can only put down to the charger.
Even so with the low 5psi boost we still pulled 194bhp at the fly. This shows all the mechanicals with the cams and gas flow of the engine are working very well. :handgestures-thumbup:
On the road the car pulls and pulls with a big fat power curve and no drop off. Very happy with the result. :dance:

Photo of a power run curve.

Happy days. We think a later teflon coated charger will give us the boost we hoped for.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
Mxmurray
Serial Poster

Postby Mxmurray » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:32 am

163 bhp at the wheel.
Now that sound like serious fun in a 5, nice build.
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:46 am

Double checking for lower than expected boost. Both inlet and outlet blocked off and also a gauge and valve installed in one end. All hunky dory and holds its pressure nicely. We have a second supercharger on its way to do a back to back test as well.

www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
agent_orange
Epic Poster

Postby agent_orange » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:04 pm

Are these super chargers coming from a mini? Sorry for the silly question, but everytime I look around for an e45 unit, they seem to be the rarest form of rocking horse poop.
2003 Mk 2.5 Euphonic Velocity Red Sadly died of rust cancer
1999 Mk2 VS
1991 Mk1

Return to “Stokes of kelsey”