What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Coilovers. Which and why?

How to make improvements to your car.
paggers
Serial Poster

Re: Coilovers. Which and why?

Postby paggers » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:44 pm

Everyone I have spoken to says that lowering the car on standard dampers is not good for the ride. But I can't say I have tried it myself.
Niall

1997 1.8i Roadster in Black
- Induction kit, Stainless Exhaust System, Lowered Springs
1998 1.8i S MX-5 in Silver
- Under restoration

Also into taking a few pictures - check out my website.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:20 pm

paggers wrote:Everyone I have spoken to says that lowering the car on standard dampers is not good for the ride. But I can't say I have tried it myself.

I am not a lover of to lowered anyway, with mine being road cars, i like my spine, but each to there own, i do a lot of replacing the standard springs on standard dampers for the sports springs, but then i will not test drive them :laughing-rolling:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:32 am

mazda-mender wrote:
paggers wrote:Everyone I have spoken to says that lowering the car on standard dampers is not good for the ride. But I can't say I have tried it myself.

I am not a lover of to lowered anyway, with mine being road cars, i like my spine, but each to there own, i do a lot of replacing the standard springs on standard dampers for the sports springs, but then i will not test drive them :laughing-rolling:
M-m

Honest answer! Took it out yesterday over the battle field like roads of west Yorkshire, and the ride on the MK2 set up really is excellent. Guess I'll get used to the look until funds arrive for coil overs!
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:41 pm

cjgreaves41 wrote:
mazda-mender wrote:

M-m

Honest answer! Took it out yesterday over the battle field like roads of west Yorkshire, and the ride on the MK2 set up really is excellent. Guess I'll get used to the look until funds arrive for coil overs!

This is good to know as it was my compromise posistion when it comes to changing things though that is a while down the line as first I have to get it to start. A few weeks away and it seems to have fallen out with me this morning... Dead battery! I hope!
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4699
Mickcafc
Regular

Postby Mickcafc » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi, I had those coilovers fitted by mx5parts and she felt 'rattly' and loose, bit like the ex, but thats another story. Took her back (the car) from London which takes a few hours each way and they tightened them up but still feels the same to me, every bump and turn feels and sounds 'rattly' and loose so not impressed at all. I am going to Autolink soon for some work so going to get them to check it out. Problem for me is I am hopeless with cars so dont really know what to expect, but did expect some improvement. Cheers, Mick.
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:51 pm

I was as confused as everyone else on this and didn't have the money for a new set of GAZ or Meister coilovers so I got a Mk2 setup complete which I hope to fit soon when a mate comes home to help out. I just wanted to check I had everything and remember Paggers giving me the list below

Standard Mk2 shocks (2x front + 2x rear) - GOT
Standard Mk2 springs (2x front + 2x rear) - GOT
Mk2 top mounts (4x) - GOT
Rubber bushes for top mounts (I think you need 2 per mount so 8 in total) - ????
Bump stops (4x) - ?????
New top mount gaskets (4x) - ?????

Do I still need Bushes for the top mounts, bump stops and gaskets if I have these already made up?
Attachments
suspension.jpg
suspension.jpg (211.51 KiB) Viewed 14291 times
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:41 am

Yolo wrote:I was as confused as everyone else on this and didn't have the money for a new set of GAZ or Meister coilovers so I got a Mk2 setup complete which I hope to fit soon when a mate comes home to help out. I just wanted to check I had everything and remember Paggers giving me the list below

Standard Mk2 shocks (2x front + 2x rear) - GOT
Standard Mk2 springs (2x front + 2x rear) - GOT
Mk2 top mounts (4x) - GOT
Rubber bushes for top mounts (I think you need 2 per mount so 8 in total) - ????
Bump stops (4x) - ?????
New top mount gaskets (4x) - ?????

Do I still need Bushes for the top mounts, bump stops and gaskets if I have these already made up?

:confusion-confused:
The only things you will need with them being complete units is time ,chocks,axle stands,spanners,breaker bar, hammer,drifts,grease.plus gas, some split pins, an extra pair of hands to help with the fronts, dry weather. brews and dead pig butties.
Forget that list you have ?you already have them on the units
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Now that's a list I can work with. A mate who has a Mk1 and knows his way around them is back from work next week and we plan to redo bushes on both cars and replace my suspension. Looking forward to learning some more and feeling the difference.. Must take some pics as we go...

Thanks MM
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Getting there slowly
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:02 pm

Yolo wrote:Now that's a list I can work with. A mate who has a Mk1 and knows his way around them is back from work next week and we plan to redo bushes on both cars and replace my suspension. Looking forward to learning some more and feeling the difference.. Must take some pics as we go...

Thanks MM

Give yourself plenty of time if you are doing the bushes also buddy it is not a 2 minute job even for me with the right tools and know how and even worse if you are thinking of doing two roadsters in the same day and suspension swap, and remember that you will need to get the alignment done afterwards once everything is done....both roadsters.
M-m

Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:01 pm

MM never fear it is going to be done in stages. I am lucky enough to have a garage big enough to take things apart and leave them there until I am done. I have looked at the various threads and guides and know its gonna take quite a bit of time especially for a novice but I figured if I have to take things apart for the suspension I should just work through each bit. I have the plus gas ordered and some rubber grease and will start to spray things up when it arrives to try and get things moving. One car at a time! You could be on speed dial..... Lol
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Getting there slowly

Return to “Modifications”