What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Coilovers. Which and why?

How to make improvements to your car.
Lazza
Site Admin

Re: Coilovers. Which and why?

Postby Lazza » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:13 pm

mazda-mender wrote:
Lazza wrote: I'm not so sure Meister R can be.

I'll find out, but i have seen quite a few GGP pop seals just out of warranty, and for that reason i will not use them myself .
M-m

But as they can be rebuilt, that's not a massive problem :wink:
If the same thing happened to the Meister Rs, could the same be said for them?

Mine have done around 25k miles over around 4 years and are still fine. Also, I'm sure Derek at Abs Shocks would rebuild them for me at a very reasonable price, probably with upgraded valving as they have improved them since I got mine.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:29 pm

A This is an interesting topic as longer term I am hoping to sort bushes and suspension but have to say £600 for meister and £450 for Gaz classic seems like big money for a car that costs not much more and a tough sell to my good lady... Are there alternatives or cheaper options even standard Mazda springs and dampers or am I going to be nice and hope for a generous Santa... :pray:
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4699
paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:04 am

If you are happy with a standard ride then the cheapest option is a second hand set of Mk2 suspension from Autolink or similar. (I have seen people get them in eBay for £50.) If you want something you can lower then you are a bit stuck. Yes you can get 'eBay' coilovers (Rokkor/Raceland/etc) for less than £200 but they really are rubbish. I have them on my Mk1 and in the near future they will be coming off and going in the bin. The ride is really unpleasant.

So, if you want modified suspension with good ride then you need to pay the money. If you are happy to live with standard ride height then the Mk2 suspension is the way to go. Just don't go anywhere in between.
Niall

1997 1.8i Roadster in Black
- Induction kit, Stainless Exhaust System, Lowered Springs
1998 1.8i S MX-5 in Silver
- Under restoration

Also into taking a few pictures - check out my website.
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:33 am

Gf thinks it looks fine. The ride is excellent. Ride height is 370 front and 360 rear. Considering some lowering springs?! What are peoples options? Not sure the wheels help the situation. Might stick 14s on today.
Attachments
20130809_164031.jpg
20130809_164031.jpg (260.87 KiB) Viewed 16916 times
20130809_181135.jpg
20130809_181135.jpg (280.22 KiB) Viewed 16916 times
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:40 am

Oh and this was it before. On some Japanese covers. Ride was 320ish. Which resulted in me getting stuck in the works car park when I had a boot full of stuff and a mate into the passenger seat!
Attachments
20130803_113201.jpg
20130803_113201.jpg (390.03 KiB) Viewed 16915 times
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:49 am

Oh and yes these are mk 2 spring/ dampers on mk2 top mounts.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:06 am

Lazza wrote:But as they can be rebuilt, that's not a massive problem
If the same thing happened to the Meister Rs, could the same be said for them?

Like i said i will find out when i speak to gerrick, i know the meisters are going through a upgrade at the minute, the last time i was invoved the GGP units popping a debate went on untill new units were sent out, why new units if like you say new seals etc? Carl at CBS autos as them fitted to his turbo which had one pop at Blayton.
Maybe you have a good batch on yours? :wink: , spax units will never be fitted to any of mine also with how many i have changed that have froze up and gone rusty.
They are all as good and bad as ech other, i am waiting to see issues with the meisters, as they have been around a while with the honda boys before being made to fit the Mx/Roadsters, i have read about rust issues on the first batches on the springs but not seen this yet myself yet.
The best dampers that last on these cars is the OE stuff, the rubber dies(dries out ,but they can be replaced) before the damper ever will.

Op
If the are 15" ? the 14" will fill the arch the same less alloy more rubber, you GF will like the ride as is, and i am sure she will not be bothered either way if it is lowwered more, i would live with it for a road roadster :handgestures-thumbup:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:46 am

Got a week in suffolk soon. So 700miles or so to go. will see if i get used to it!
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:30 pm

What about these and what else would I need? I do like the idea of the mk2 setup as a lot of people seem to like this for general road use which is all I am after for now.
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:31 pm

:doh:
http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/default.as ... ts&t=66338 here is the link I forgot to add above.
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Getting there slowly
paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:37 pm

Yolo wrote:What about these and what else would I need? I do like the idea of the mk2 setup as a lot of people seem to like this for general road use which is all I am after for now.

To be honest the safest bet would be to ring someone like Autolink, tell them what you are doing, and ask them to put together all the parts you will need. You may well find that they can supply the struts pre-assembled so you just need to bolt them in. But as a basic list you will need the following:

Standard Mk2 shocks (2x front + 2x rear)
Standard Mk2 springs (2x front + 2x rear)
Mk2 top mounts (4x)
Rubber bushes for top mounts (I think you need 2 per mount so 8 in total)
Bump stops (4x)
New top mount gaskets (4x)

I think that's everything, although if I have missed anything I'm sure someone will jump in shortly.
Niall

- Under restoration

Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:52 pm

I am sure if you speak to likes of Autolink they will have the units complete, so you can just straight swap on the roadster :handgestures-thumbup:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks guys have to put these on the Santa list..... Hopefully a more economical option to keep everyone happy :laughing-rolling:
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Getting there slowly
paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:48 pm

So I fitted the Mk2 struts onto the front of the Mk1 today. No pictures as yet of the finished job but I did get the tape measure out. Before the swap the height from wheel centre to arch was 32cm - with the Rokkor coilovers. With the Mk2 struts the height is now 36cm. So an increase of 4cm but that's against a lowered target. I believe the stock height is 35cm so it's riding 1cm higher on the Mk2 shocks - doesn't look too bad though.
Niall

- Under restoration

cjgreaves41
Regular

Postby cjgreaves41 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:55 am

Has anyone used mk2 std dampers / top mounts / bump stops with lowering springs?

These

http://www.lkperformance.co.uk/lowering ... rId=157207 for example? Or has anyone any experience with alternatives?

Return to “Modifications”