What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
********We would like to take a moment of your time in thanking everyone that as helped us keep this forum going, from donations, sponsorship, hands on help and all the members that have used us, as it was built to help follow owners keep their passion on the roads, as we step into 2020 we hope all your hopes and dreams come true, we need to heart felt thank the owners that have given donations to help us carry on already so early into the new year and believing in what we are trying to do for everyone , it is also with great pride we thank AUTOLINKMX5 Mr Andrew Stott for sponsoring us again for this year, Andrew is not only a business but a very passionate petrol head and is always there to help fellow members in need regardless, the monthly discount code is always updated every end of the month with a fresh code so jump on getting it cheaper from us and Andrew , looking into this year we are hoping to arrange mazdamenders tech days/weekends this year to become the norm to meet and get our hands dirty all together, drive her like you stole her and weld that smile in place. *********
The mazdamenders team

1995 G-Limited ***RESTORATION***Rebuild

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
Lumphammer
Regular

Re: 1995 G-Limited ***RESTORATION***Rebuild

Postby Lumphammer » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:49 pm

These were the type of defects I was getting, you can only see them when the solvent from the primer hits causing a slight rise in the surface. I've dug them out with a scalpel and filled with dolphin glaze, it works well but took ages

defects.jpg
defects.jpg (264.36 KiB) Viewed 218 times

I bought this from eBay, it's a cheap weather station thing but it has humidity which is exceptionally useful together with the dehumidifier. Don't know how accurate it is but it seems right-enough, for the ÂŁ7 it cost brilliant!

gadget.jpg
gadget.jpg (336.9 KiB) Viewed 218 times

Final wet sand. It's had two guide coats due to all the defects popping up everywhere I'd lost confidence in the first

sanded.jpg
sanded.jpg (414.84 KiB) Viewed 218 times

Paint and clearcoat. A b*****d tiny moth fell into the second clear, i pulled it out alright but there's a 1/4" wide bit of browny dust forever in it now, really annoying but that's life...

paint_1.jpg
paint_1.jpg (405.68 KiB) Viewed 218 times

paint_2.jpg
paint_2.jpg (325.55 KiB) Viewed 218 times

I put three coats of clear on it, looks very nice. Will be wet sanding it in a few weeks when the cars back together

In case anyone is interested in number of rattle cans for a hard top:

1 x Plastic primer (for burn through areas)
4 x Upol grey primer
3 x Metallic basecoat
5 x Upol clearcoat
Lumphammer
Regular

Postby Lumphammer » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:53 pm

Had a good day today. Cleaned the crazy amount of painting filth from the garage and got the car off the rotisserie and back onto axle stands for reassembly.

I used the engine crane to get the shell up there but it was dodgy as **** and I didn't want to do it again so i built another trestle so i could use the jack to gradually inch it down swapping front to back and lowering the bar each time. I'd definately do it this way next time!! :-D

01_rot.jpg
01_rot.jpg (473.18 KiB) Viewed 180 times

02_rot.jpg
02_rot.jpg (517.64 KiB) Viewed 180 times

03_rot.jpg
03_rot.jpg (498.44 KiB) Viewed 180 times

Going to put the loom and fuel tank back in tomorrow :dance:
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:12 pm

Cracking work buddy.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (Why did I sell it - cos the wife said so!!!!)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Lumphammer
Regular

Postby Lumphammer » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:04 pm

The front side tab had snapped off the ABS air guide, i used a soldering iron to tack weld it in place and then scratched and swiss cheesed it to bond well to fibreglass

air_guide_1.jpg
air_guide_1.jpg (345.11 KiB) Viewed 139 times

I had to bend a bit of alu to make the fibreglass follow the corner properly, i was going to take it off afterwards but it'd stuck so well i left it in place

air_guide_2.jpg
air_guide_2.jpg (348.25 KiB) Viewed 139 times

I was doing some stuff with POR15 so i painted it to blend in better - largely pointless :-D

air_guide_3.jpg
air_guide_3.jpg (376.13 KiB) Viewed 139 times

Air guide in place and the front of the bumper bar painted in POR15. The bumper reinforcements were cleaned back to stell, kurust, etch primer and black gloss

bumper_support.jpg
bumper_support.jpg (415.41 KiB) Viewed 139 times

Painted the boot in POR15, I'd originally intended to have it body colour but I'd lost the will to live spray painting in rattle cans! :lol:

boot.jpg
boot.jpg (517.7 KiB) Viewed 139 times

The brake servo had some surface rust, I sanded it back, kurust, etch prime and black gloss. Alu master cylinder just cleaned back. The brake balance bracket is being done at the moment

servo_assy.jpg
servo_assy.jpg (410.97 KiB) Viewed 139 times

Main loom and cabin loom in place. I'm doing this an unconventional way because i'll have a very minimal dash, it'll be done so it can be put back to normal but the insides of the dash will be a bare minimum

loom_1.jpg
loom_1.jpg (454.69 KiB) Viewed 139 times

loom_2.jpg
loom_2.jpg (476.66 KiB) Viewed 139 times

The secondhand carpets were scrubbed and have come out very nice. All the marks have gone and should smell very "fresh" :-D

carpets.jpg
carpets.jpg (528.41 KiB) Viewed 139 times
Lumphammer
Regular

Postby Lumphammer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:30 pm

Had a good couple of days, I needed two small bits of underfelt so had to order some. Got carried away and replaced all of it - these bits are tacked to the body with a few sprays of contact adhesive, the rest is stuck to the carpet.

underfelt.jpg
underfelt.jpg (525.14 KiB) Viewed 112 times

The carpet has come up a treat, I got it on eBay from a guy who'd taken it from a 10AE. I asked Wayne for advice and he said put the carpet in before the dash, I thought "I'll just put the bar in to make it easier to get stuff connected..." not realising the bar gets in the way of the carpet - so had to take it out again :lol:

carpet.jpg
carpet.jpg (456.38 KiB) Viewed 112 times

^look at those original 90's floor mats!! They're so bad - I love them :-D

Cleaned out the blower, was proper manky in there. Made some new foam gaskets.

blower.jpg
blower.jpg (352.88 KiB) Viewed 112 times

cabin_intake.jpg
cabin_intake.jpg (475.55 KiB) Viewed 112 times

Rear of the car mostly back together, there's some panel gap issues but I think I know how to fix them

back.jpg
back.jpg (412.38 KiB) Viewed 112 times

Starting to look a bit like a car again!

car.jpg
car.jpg (476.56 KiB) Viewed 112 times
fujikun
Regular

Postby fujikun » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:54 am

:text-coolphotos: cracking job, coming together now.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:24 am

:handgestures-thumbup:
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 being rebuilt,
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 (claimed by daughter)
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ...being rebuilt

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lumphammer
Regular

Postby Lumphammer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:51 pm

All of the original bumper reinforcement screws had rotted to bits, found some oddball self tappers I'd saved for a rainy day years ago which with 5mm stainless washers fitted perfect

screws.jpg
screws.jpg (657.15 KiB) Viewed 89 times

bumper_reinforcement.jpg
bumper_reinforcement.jpg (474.97 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Put the doors on. Did it on my own using a couple of towels and then the catch plate to act as a third hand - worked but would have been much easier with a second person. I think the spats look good.

rear.jpg
rear.jpg (475.58 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Front bumper went on fine

front.jpg
front.jpg (467.25 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Got an interior, going to use the spray dye on the seats. They're in good condition but really faded. Look at those mats...! :-D

interior.jpg
interior.jpg (487.22 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:11 am

:coffee: :handgestures-thumbup:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 being rebuilt,
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 (claimed by daughter)
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ...being rebuilt

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Natehd9
Regular

Postby Natehd9 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:51 pm

Looking amazing, congratulations! Bet you can't wait to get it all back together!
:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”