What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Car-19 and the road to recovery

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
Hamish
Serial Poster

Car-19 and the road to recovery

Postby Hamish » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:29 pm

Placeholder for my new project....
Regards, Hammy.
1990 Eunos 1.6 Classic Red, soon to be a different colour
Hamish
Serial Poster

Re: Agnes and the road to recovery

Postby Hamish » Sat May 04, 2013 10:59 pm

So here's Agnes's road to recovery thread.

Started off two weeks ago winning a bargain on ebay. 1990 1.6 Eunos in Classic red, for a bargain price of Ā£500 piratethumb

It had been parked up on the owners drive since June last year and despite sitting out in all weathers without any care, Galley Slave and I went to see it before bidding. We knew it was a good un. Only a four day listing, this might be to our advantage. It was and we won :) It was, luckily for me a Birthday present from Mrs H - normally a huge pain in the ar5e, but I do love her :) The car was sorn and no MOT, so had to arrange pickup on a flatbed.

Here she is arriving home

VIN plate:

Completely covered in ice and snow.... I kicked Bob out of the cage and put Agnes in to have a long awaited dry out and defrost.
Inspection later showed the red paint was completely faded all over: But not really worried about that though..main thing she was solid.

The interior we struck gold with. It had brand new custom made read and black leather interior and quilted door panels...nice. A lovely wooden Nardi wheel. Carpets were bone dry and in fantastic condition. It has red Lockwood dials, sony stereo (now given to Roddy) and the hood was in perfect condition. There was no mildew inside and the frame is in remarkably good condition.

So now, we begin work. First up was a check of fluids. Perfect. But one thing bugged me..... the engine was not sitting straight:

Sought some advice from chief engineer RisingSUn and we had a plan to put it straight again. So up on stands, wheels off and loosen the engine mounts, give it a wiggle....and a jemmy and voila:

Being anal about these things, I just had to check with a spirit level :)

Happy now.
So, time to do some checks. Battery was flat so this got put on charge. It charged at 14.3v and when fully charged I took it off the charger and left it for 24hrs to see if it held...if it did the plates were fine. So off charge it showed 12.7v. 24 hours later it showed 12.6 and 24 hours later it showed 12.5. Battery is good then.

So, galley slave got instructions from RisingSun and as the engine had to ran for 7 months, she took off the strut brace, ht leads, plugs and dropped a little oil into each cylinder and turned the engine by hand using the crank pulley. To use her words - it was soooooo smooth. Perfect.

Time to sort wiring out.... earth lead on the PPF had broken so, in step the Buccaneers (again - top lads they are) and a new earth terminal was shipped up. Fixed this and checked all connections. At the same time I moved the fog light wiring to the O/S reversing lamp and fitted a bright red bulb.... tested - perfecto :)

Now that we had done all the checks....it was time to fire Agnes up for the very first time. Trepidation and a obviously scared, we decided to go for it. Having had help from the buccaneers, it was time to call them for a live feed...so got RS on the phone. Galley Slave had the honour of turning the key...position one.....postition two...RS and I holding our breath...then galley slave did it....

Barely even turned the key and Agnes fired into life.....and sat there just running so sweetly. A little tappety to be expected...I whooped and hollared like a red neck.

She lives!

SO tonight was fettling night again. Time to get the whole car in the air....
Decided on tackling the arches, wishbones etc. Surface rust on the wishbones, but this just flaked off revealing lovely shiny rust free metal underneath...excellent:

I broke some screws - rusty taking the liner and mudflap off...loads of crud in the front arches:

Now the sills looked good from the outside, and seeing this scared me...but it was absolutely solid, rust free metal in the whole arch and in the bit in front of the door - perfect condition:

There was a little rust where some of the stone chip had come off...but that was mild and I will be doing the whole arch again anyway, but the main thing is the wing/sills are perfect:

Now Iw as very fortunate with this car because it had had fitted some lovely 15" wheels last year and brad new coilovers:

SO there we are for now.

A quick breakdown of things to do - mainly to get it ready for MOT:
All arch areas and suspension arms, subframes - clean up, protect and paint.
The odd bleb on the outside of the front arches and a scratch to attend to on each door.
Cut back all paint and polish
Service - full including diff and gearbox oils and turret and all linkages.
Clean up the brake discs (again brand new), calipers to paint. Pads are brand new all round too and the drop links are all brand new.
Replace the front track rod arms

That gets it MOT ready and on the road hopefully. When that is done, I'll be doing some work on the inside - going retro/vintage:
This is secret for now..... I will update when I do this.

So there we have it - Agnes... I love her and it is such a joy to work on and fettle...so rewarding :)

Over and out for now....with updates to follow.
Regards, Hammy.
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat May 04, 2013 11:00 pm

So, in-between cooking SUnday lunch and being warned not to get dirty, I gave myself a change of scenery and tested an area of the paint up top.

Clayed n/s front wing and masked off an area. Went over with the orbital on a very soft pad and a minute bit of compound at a slow speed for about 5 minutes. Result - paint is very good underneath:

Happy with that :)
Regards, Hammy.
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat May 04, 2013 11:01 pm

So, I got up early today - right in the mood for some fettling to begin at 8am. Bounded down the stairs and barley got the words out to Mrs H "do you want a cup..." When my day got got off to a smashing start.......with a bollocking! Big bollocking at that....

See it all started last night...I removed the disgusting expansion tank and washer bottle to clean - well and truly manky inside and out. Filled them with red hot water and bleach and put them outside to leave overnight. What I got a bollocking for was this:

Umm....that's bleach that leaked out of the hose on the washer bottle...... bugger. Toorrow I will be doing woodwork to repair the mahogany indoor sill and by a new mat.

ANyway, the bottles came up a treat :)

So today - I'm going to tackle the mess behind the front bulkhead and the wipers cos they are seized. This is the mess behind there, corroded arms and an awful mess..

Yuk... breathing this crap in through the fan:

Right then.... what you need for this is GOOD HEARING... cos the little bastards that are the scuttle panel caps are brittle and is the best ever tiddlywinx. Spent about half an hour finding them when they pinged off...

SO bits removed and ready for cleaning..

Needed a bigger spanner to whack the arm to free it from the motor:

Wiper arms were rusted solid and yak.

At this point ^ I realised the rubber seal on the scuttle panel that goes on the windscreen is all but knackered. Hmm....lets mend that today and the wiper arms...oh and the seized motor arms :)

...and this. If when you remove the scuttle panel you find one of the white retaining clips missing...

...you need to think. The shop of ebay whilst open is not delivering until midweek and I want this done today. So, rake around and find a thing.... great a round peg in a square hole. Found a thing and araldited a rawl plug into it's recess...then araldited the thing under the scuttle panel ready to receive a screw. Champion :)

Right... time to clean up. Don't, however do what I did and hover up the screws you put safe on the corner:

Cos you will then have to remove the hoover bag contents and rake through all the crap, dead spiders...even a live spider to find the sodding things...

Now to remove the equally manky motor and clean and grease this up:

So several hours later we have this all cleaned up :)

Sanded down to bare metal, acid etched then a couple of coats of sating black:

Look good as new

Arms, painted, greased up with copper grease, freed up and moving just lovely:

Scuttle panel repaired, brittle rubber re-rubberised and glued back in place...and plastic brought back to life:

Air intake cover back in place:

Spray the light grey sodding tiddly-winx black

De-rust, sand back apply copper grease, clean and paint the wiper arms:

Remove motor again after putting it back cos you forgot to clean it up - only this time clean it up, spray it and check it:

Scuttle panel back and the jobs a good un. Test wipers work....percect, smooth, quiet and jsut lubbly jubbly:
Rubber seal all rubberised and nice and neat and actually touching the screen now:

Regards, Hammy.
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat May 04, 2013 11:03 pm

I got up in the middle of the night 3am and went in the cage. Odd ya might think, but as I'm away next week, I have to catch up.

So, in the past 14 hours I have turned these: already lovely Agnes's wheels..

Into these.... even more lovely Agnes's wheels :)

I painted these a shadow chrome, so depending on the light can look from a dark silver to black. I used a 2pack primer, then layered with black, silver, black, silver and then a dust coat of black - this was water based. I then gave them a single coat of 2pack lacquer, unmasked and will leave till I come back and give the whole wheel another coat of 2pack.

The wheels have a natural rim, so I used that to keep the outside bit the original silver.

I polished the centre caps up as they are aluminium.

Closest one looks black, but looking at the ones further away, you can see the light colour. Will get some better pics in daylight :)

Well pleased with how they turned out....
Regards, Hammy.
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat May 04, 2013 11:04 pm

Lucky enough to be back home early from me trip.... it was in the cage tonight at 6pm till 23:55 to get prepped for some fun fettling...... I is loving this project.

I took the rear wheel arch liners off as you know and where the bottom bolts that fastened it on were, they snapped. This is the sill end plate - it's not structural, but it is a common area for crud to congregate. Anyway, cut a long story short, I bashed a hole in the area.Being anal and following SteveB's advice, I made the hole much bigger.... ye see not frightened to take on metalwork either - in fact love this kind of fettling.

So I went and picked up a bargain at Aldi and got a cutting tool for me compressor - this - only Ā£8.49 BARGAIN. Great for getting in tight places.

I cut an area out in order to cut some top notch steel so we can do the job properly like - by seam welding. Nee shortcuts here. Here's a big hole.... but what is nice about it is the inside of the hole - the sill. As ye can see.... it's mint in there..... wooo hooo

So we gonna seam weld.WHen that is done I#m going to drill a new inspection hole so I can get a lance in and do a bit of Phil McAvity.... then zinc the inspection hole, then treat the new metal, then gravitex it then paint spray it.

Here's the cardboard templates made ready for steel cutting in morning

And tother side:
No need to make a new inspection hole on this side though....

Love fettling this... having the time of me life.

When this is done going to sand back the arch lips and touch them up....

ANyway, checked the time and decided it was time to come in...
Regards, Hammy.
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat May 04, 2013 11:04 pm

Had a great fettlin day....with the help of SteveB. Hats off to the fella - drove 25 milesto help me today with the welding..... the guy is a star..... thankyou Steve :)

SO we got the plates in (stainless). Then ground down the weld and it looks as good as new....in fact better cos this will never happen again being stainless :) Oh Steve - those soft backed grinding discs - got they fitted me grinder. When the screw cap comes off the spindle plate I worked out you lift off and put on upside down and this has the correct bit for the discs....... and you were right, they made a fantastic job of taking the welds down to flat..... perfect job - but that is down to your welding skills in the first place fella.

metal treated, primed, a hole drilled and waxoiled with a lance. The arch liner has a recess for the bottom bolt to go into the end plate, so I marked the area and simply banged and indentation ready to drill and fit the arch liner so it sits flush..

By the way, we did both sides..... :) Job sorted...

SO primed now and ready for the u-pol gravitex. Also took all the rear wishbones back to bare metal and the sibframe - treated them and now they are ready for paint.

Next up fixed the rear bumper as it was not fastened properly. Took the centre piece off where the number plate goes and with the heat gun removed the MAZDA badge they ahd stuck on. Wet sanded the whole thing and compounded up.

Applied stone chip to the N/S wheel arch.

Cracking day :)
Regards, Hammy.
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat May 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Not just today but over the weekend and tonight..

Wrestled with the replacement bumper tp remove all the bits...much cursing:

Eventually removed the weather strips from bumper....much cursing. Then spent about two hours fettling them into shape, cos I is anal they have to be perfect fit on the rubbers with no gaps....all perfect, rubbed them down, prepped and painted the metal:

Then set about with some old fashioned metalwork. The metal bits that attach bumper to wings were held together with rust and of course the lower of the bolts was snapped. SO, get some galvanised steel and make new ones. Two for each side, welded together then holes drilled and new bolts welded on:

Shaped and smoothed ready for drilling:

Food and beer break then cursed some more to remove the air con rad, after carefully removing the pipes with a hacksaw. Now just have to remove the matrix inside the car and the pump:

Then it was time to remove the front ARB, take it back down to bare metal, prep and paint it...and the hangers:

Then gave the cowling one more coat of plastidip:

Move to tonight and it was finish up the front end. This has all been taken back down to bare metal (front and back including the tow hooks, prepped and painted:

^ You can see above how clean the chassis rails are - that is the original grey paint...and they are perfect all the way along.

Lovely... also took the covers over the rails off, down to bare metal prepped and primed. Some more views:

And before I come in to do the flaming ironing, I stuck a MAZDA badge to one of the shelves [img src="http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u68/Nippy47/Smilies/shades.gif" alt=" "]

Now I'm in the process of stripping the upper and lower wishbones and prepping and painting them....then onto the backend. Then I can remove the steering rack, then the aircon pump, then refurb the steering rack and paint it.....then I can start the body work and finally the interior....

Then drive time :)
Regards, Hammy.
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat May 04, 2013 11:07 pm

Anyway, just to keep this but updated, todays stuff...

Went into cage and thought do I go under again...or do summit else. [img src="http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u68/Nippy47/Smilies/think.gif" alt=" "]

Summit else then....
I know I am a bit anal, but I just had to. The front frame I painted, I decided to wet sand it back and compound it to a mirror finish...well what's a guy to do

Then I saw some bits dangling....the bonnet catch and me horn. They were both manky rusty and the back of the catch was lathered in dirty grease. Reet, strip them down completely, clean them, remove rust, sand them......then paint them - black and gunmetal.

Bored a bit, I decided to match the front face of me horn to the wheels - just to balance it out of course, so black, gunmetal, black again.... champion, look better than new now - well, I couldn't put those manky bits back to the front could I? :)

I did them properly, front and back and in between:

Once they hardened off, lube the catch with some copper ease.

Hmm.... still not completely satisfied with me horn - (a gentleman's horn must look presentable at all times as you never know when anyone will look) so laquered it :)

[img src="http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u68/Nippy47/Smilies/shades.gif" alt=" "]
Regards, Hammy.
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sat May 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Wishbones never noticed until I got them off and next to each other but one of them looks like it has taken a knock sometime in it's life.

I reckon I gotta replace a top and a bottom. Have a look at the pics and let me know what you think. Strange this is, the top wishbone on the o/s and the lower wishbone on the N/s are bent.

O/S lower on the floor - sits flat:

N/S does not sit flat on floor:

The bend highlighted with a straight edge - this is on the top edge:

The good one in the same place:

The top wishbone - this one the good one which is N/S

The bad one:

Reckon they both need replacing?
Regards, Hammy.
Daktana
Regular

Postby Daktana » Sun May 05, 2013 4:54 pm

Not sure about the wishbones sorry, but I am enjoying reading this, thank you and keep up the good work.
:cry: My 5 is deaded :cry:
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sun May 05, 2013 9:27 pm

..got two new wishbones and they are off to be blasted. SHould get them back next week.

So today...an early start - 6:30am. this was due to Mrs H warning me that Monday she wants this done, that done, the other done and I had better make the most of Sunday fettling. So I did just that.

I could choose to either stay in my cage and do some stuff in there or I could enjoy a beautiful day in the sun.

So I decided to fettle my replacement bumper and the back bumper and the bit in the middle where the rear number plate goes. First up the number plate thingy. It was OK, but I decided it would be better fettled, prepped and painted. SO did that. When it's dry tomorrow will flat it back and give a machine polish. This has had 5 coats.... wet on wet.

Then spent about 6 hours prepping the front and rear bumpers. The front had one of those sticky number plate things on, but thankfully no holes. It was hiding a depression in the centre - so I spent ages, sanding, filling, sanding, filling - 6 times to get it how I wanted it:

Numerous amounts of water tests to make sure lines are straight and no more depression/dent.

You can just see reflection of roofs nice and ...well nice and straight :)

Then came a job I was dreading..but I had to make the most of the day. Time to tackle the manky plastics: wheel arch liners, undertray, thing behind bumper and things at each side of bumper. Spent about two hours scrubbing these clean. Now it was time to make them look like new.

No paint allowed here cos it's plastic.... so, get some orange oil, lemon oil and WD40. Mix together in a tub and apply with a paintbrush. Allow an hour or so to penetrate. Wipe off.. now comes the fun bit. Using a hot air gun (not a hairdryer) turn up to full and heat the plastic - being very careful not to melt the plastic.... heat up small area at a time and you can see the plastic coming back as new - you actually see it turning black...at this point, stop, otherwise you melt the plastic....

The good things is, you get the natural texture back as you can see on the arch liners.

Really pleased how these turned out and they look as good if not better than new:

Original texture back:

This one I heated up a little too much you can just see on the left where it looks cloudy. I'll do this bit again with orange and lemon oil.

Undertray looks brand new

That's me done for the day... knackered and ready for a beer :)
Regards, Hammy.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun May 05, 2013 11:51 pm

:clap:
:handgestures-thumbup:
:coffee:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Daktana
Regular

Postby Daktana » Mon May 06, 2013 12:12 am

Dogs danglies mate, well done, keep it up.
:cry: My 5 is deaded :cry:
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Mon May 06, 2013 9:06 am

Looking good there mate
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8

Return to ā€œMembers Mx-5/ Roadstersā€