What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
MASSIVE THANK YOU to our sponsors for 2018.... JASS PERFORMANCE........ http://shop.jassperformance.com/
And Autolinkmx5..... http://www.autolinkmx5.com/mazda-mx-5-parts-8-c.asp

Members and searchers please be aware that some of our 'how to' guides do not currently show the intended help photos. This is because photobucket wants to charge a monthly amount for us to view our own pics. The photos are currently being replaced. If you need one of our guides and it is missing pics please let one of the Admin team know and we will make that one a priority for you.
Regards
Admin

Car-19 and the road to recovery

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
Hamish
Serial Poster

Re: Car-19 and the road to recovery

Postby Hamish » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:34 pm

So then... holes. Lots of them...different size ones too. Problem is.... how to make them :think:

Lets make some tools... good bit of fettlin and more importantly, no cost. Rummage... ah-ha, this will do.... ohh, so will this :geek:

Need to make neat holes like this.

Socket, vice, file...go to work:

Let's sharpen this hollow point punch too:

Let's test:

Alreet but to no big stottie... some fine adjustment needed:

Result :dance:

Woo-hoo all cut nice and neat like

Job done:

Now to crack on making the KGW surround and fit all me lovely pilot bulbs....
Regards, Hammy.
1990 Eunos 1.6 Classic Red, soon to be a different colour
DavesBRG5

Postby DavesBRG5 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:39 pm

That looks damn fine :handgestures-thumbup:

:text-goodpost:
DAVE

1992 ROADSTER 1.6 Tanabe Sustec suspension, Cusco bracing, Momo Prototipo steering wheel, Mike Satur TT Hoops, Jass Performance interior bling.

nedski

Postby nedski » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:27 pm

:handgestures-thumbup: top marks
Mk1 1.6 Turbo. Gaz shocks. Tr Lane roll bar.
Garage Owner, Lincolshire
Helper to the Scunny track day crew and North Linc's Track Day Club.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:55 pm

Does anyone know what the current draw is from the standard w5w bulbs in the binnacle?

Reason I ask is that I am testing various bulbs, but as I am doing it on the bench I am using a 12v charger (for a torch) to illuminate the binnacle - the output is 12v 200ma. So the ordinary bulbs in the binnacle are dim when all 4 are lit. LED's are no problem... but I am after the warm glow of 'old' style bulbs.

Sorry for poor quality pic... but I prefer this old warm glow as opposed to cold white LED. Can you get LED's that look normal instead of bright white...? Sure I saw somewhere you could get them

Nice vintage glow (but dim due to lack of power)

Cold White LED

If I remove two bulbs, this is how I think the normal bulbs look still vintage and not bright white. If I could simulate this with LED's I would be happy :)
Regards, Hammy.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 pm

Get some Phillps blue vision 501 bulbs ,also bang some in as your side if they are not detangoed, :handgestures-thumbup:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 fettling,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 being rebuilt,
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 (claimed by daughter)
Mk 1 Eunos 96 1.8 blue B2...being fettled
Mk1 Eunos 93 1.6 black S special **gone**
http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:39 am

Big win today... spent the past 8 hours stripping most of the car in the engine bay, cleaning and putting back together. I was putting off oily bits... but prepped underneath last night and since 4pm today, been underneath, in the bay...and even changed the oil and the (god dammit) easy to get at oil filter...

Worst job was getting 20 odd years worth of grime and oil and crap from the steering rack and subframe... no other way, it has to come off... clean, and put back together. Must remember to bleed this.

Need to fit my new cam cover and the air filter and air filter gubbins... but I was well knackered by midnight so came in. It's not to my usual standard, but that is for another day....

Some pics...

From this...part way through stripping down:

Many hours later....ti this (ignore the cut off aircon pipes - they will come out when I remove the heat exchanger inside the cabin :) )

Well pleased, it's presentable... but will be done again when I whip the engine out over winter.

Biggest win was getting the underneath done. This has about an inch thick load of crap all over it... could barely make out the rubber boots. The subframe, sump...everything under there was covered, solid. Good old gunk to the rescue followed by tarpaulin down and wash... some spanner work and it's all looking nice and.... clean :)

Right...sleep.

Night drivers :)
Regards, Hammy.
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:43 am

Also removed permanently the carbon catch can and bridged the vent pipe :)
Regards, Hammy.
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:57 am

Found a tiny split at each side just behind the B pillar in the hood, right at the bottom when I had it apart. Had a brainwave last night how to repair it cheaply....will post later on.
Regards, Hammy.
paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:42 am

Looking good. Some serious dedication there. :handgestures-thumbup:
Niall

1997 1.8i Roadster in Black
- Induction kit, Stainless Exhaust System, Lowered Springs
1998 1.8i S MX-5 in Silver
- Under restoration

Also into taking a few pictures - check out my website.
flea
Site Admin

Postby flea » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:32 pm

That looks lovely H :bow-yellow:
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Thankyou kind folk :)

Monumentally HUGE milestone reached today..... I am soooooooooo excited... I wanted to achieve this today and I ahve. Much prep.... in fact loads. I got all the Gravitex on the bottom half of the car, the arches, fuel tank, underneath..... yeeeehaaaa.

After a lot of prep and a lot of sanding and masking (including finding a use for the car cover the previous owner left in boot) I got my big air gun with 2.4mm nozzle, warmed the gravitex up in hot water and set too.

It is hard to photograph, but I think I ahve the manufacturers texture back.... just need to to dry now. First coat was neat, the next coats were watered down with a drop of tinners on each coat, to get the final coat which was ...how can I say... the right amount of 'bobble' ::lol-1::

Some pics...

Now when I say prep - I mean anal prep. To the extent I took all the previous stuff off so the spot weld thingys appeared on the bottom of the sills... anal I know. However, you can see it all looks neat :)

I am not doing the black line on the sills as it's going to be all red, apart from the very lower edge of the sills - the bit that sticks down...they will be black.

Right, shower, then beer

::beer::
Regards, Hammy.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:50 pm

:handgestures-thumbup: :clap: :coffee:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 fettling,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 being rebuilt,
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 (claimed by daughter)
Mk 1 Eunos 96 1.8 blue B2...being fettled
Mk1 Eunos 93 1.6 black S special **gone**
http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Hamish
Serial Poster

Postby Hamish » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:52 pm

Well, today I took the engine area apart again... and finished it properly :) refurbed loads of bits, fans, bottles, coil pack, inlet, air box, pipes, polished bolts, fitted my gold cam cover, cleaned properly the ht leads...had a fantastic day fettling with this. Really enjoyed myself... got a bad back now though..

So it now looks like this (strut brace not fitted but in place just to see what it looks like :)

Also went through all the paperwork that came with the car.... found the receipt for the timing belt and water pump kit which was done only 5km ago last year :) WHooppee...saves me a job.
Regards, Hammy.
flea
Site Admin

Postby flea » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:14 pm

She's looking well nice mate :handgestures-thumbup:
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:23 am

That's impressive. :handgestures-thumbup:
Niall

1997 1.8i Roadster in Black
- Induction kit, Stainless Exhaust System, Lowered Springs
1998 1.8i S MX-5 in Silver
- Under restoration

Also into taking a few pictures - check out my website.

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”