What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

1996 Uk spec Rebuild (we hope)

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Re: 1996 Uk spec Rebuild (we hope)

Postby John&Luke » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:16 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:There is a good guide on here buddy.
M-m

Job all done. Went with EBC Ultimax pads and discs from Autolink

Very useful guide. My only comment would be the guide doesn't mention using threadlock on the carrier bolts when refitting.

I also used a laser tools wheel hub grinder attachment that fits over the wheel stubs and allows you to clean the surface of the hub free from corrosion so the disc runs true. Good bit of kit in my mind.
1996 Mk1 Classic Red 1.6 sorted
1995 Mk 1 White 1.6 in need of TLC
2015 Mk1 1.8 Exocet Mk1 on steroids
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:27 am

Glad the guide was of use, but.....

My only comment would be.....

You don't need thread lock, that's why it's not in the guide, where or who has told you that?,what are you reading? we know are stuff and been doing it a long time, if thread lock is required plus the strength of thread lock for the job in hand as there are many, it will be stated in the guides etc for what we are doing, so you all do the jobs correct.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:50 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:Glad the guide was of use, but.....

My only comment would be.....

You don't need thread lock, that's why it's not in the guide, where or who has told you that?,what are you reading? we know are stuff and been doing it a long time, if thread lock is required plus the strength of thread lock for the job in hand as there are many, it will be stated in the guides etc for what we are doing, so you all do the jobs correct.
M-m

Always used thread lock on the carrier bolts in the past. Cant see it doing any harm?
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:03 pm

Good day today, made some good progress.

First job was fitting our new exhaust

Went with a stainless steel IL Motorsport exhaust. Very pleased not to loud. :)

Finished job.

Need a new heat shield so made a template so I can make one up from either stainless or ali.

Then, MOT at local garage. Pass. no advisories :)
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:01 am

John&Luke wrote:Need a new heat shield so made a template so I can make one up from either stainless or ali.

Normal thing to see rotten rear heat shields, we have a ally one from Jass performance and a S/steel one i made on two of ours,make sure you fit some spacer washers between the shield and tub.
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:16 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:
John&Luke wrote:Need a new heat shield so made a template so I can make one up from either stainless or ali.

Normal thing to see rotten rear heat shields, we have a ally one from Jass performance and a S/steel one i made on two of ours,make sure you fit some spacer washers between the shield and tub.
M-m

Yes agree was planning on some 6mm rubber washers between the heat shield and tub to cut down on vibration.
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:29 pm

Been suffering with this steering wheel since day one. I guess you either love it or hate it.

Eventually found a decent condition and priced original steering wheel. Fitted this afternoon. Wow what a difference, both visually and from a driving point of view! Very pleased :)

Need to review my to-do list and take a stock check on what to do next>
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:09 pm

So decided that a carbon slam panel would be a nice addition. I had some carbon fibre sheet left over from a previous project. So first job was the template.

Used thin card for this and then transferred this to my carbon sheet. Once transferred, cut out the various holes and opening for the bonnet catch.

Then fitting with 3 self tapping screws. Overall a nice little project. Couple of photos of the finished panel. Just needs a Mazda Menders sticker to finish it.
If there was a demand happy to manufacture some more.

Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:30 pm

John&Luke wrote:Just needs a Mazda Menders sticker to finish it.

Hint hint :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: i'll sort some out they are in the process of new ones being made buddy. :handgestures-thumbup:
M-m

John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:05 pm

So got around to replacing my rear exhaust box heat shield. Old one was a bit rusted up.

Old shield with my card pattern.

And new one cut out of some stainless sheet and bent to follow the original pattern. Used 4 thick rubber washers between the shield and underside to limit heat transfer and any chance of vibration noise.

Nice little job for Saturday pm.
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:10 am

Ok so time to start my winter project.

Full respray!!!!.

So job No.1 not for the faint hearted. Rear arch and sill replacement. Nice new panel from the guys at Autolink :-D

The sill had a previous pack repair. Whilst the repair looked structurally ok the finish was poor. This suggested to me that it had be a patch instead of a prober restoration. Also three rust bubbles around the arch meant a full replacement was the best option. Good point was all the spot welds on the arch lip could still be seen so the likelihood was that his hadn't been attacked before. :handgestures-thumbup:

Started by pealing back the bottom sill section.

No real surprises the tin worm had been to work and suggested my plan of action was justified.

Bit more cutting and grinding left me this (sharpie lines are my next cut marks.

Getting quite involved now. I'm NO EXPERT, so any tips advice would be VERY WELCOME.

I plan on replacing the inner side with a home fabricated section as ÂŁ100 for a new inner sill that I will cut up to be just 8" long seems a bit steep! Thanks, look forward to the advice.
fujikun
Regular

Postby fujikun » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:32 pm

have a look at this guys, might help ya out.viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4888&p=49632&hilit=california#p49632
its currently in a council lock up waiting for my new garage to be built .
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:15 pm

fujikun wrote:have a look at this guys, might help ya out.viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4888&p=49632&hilit=california#p49632
its currently in a council lock up waiting for my new garage to be built .

Cheers Fujikun!, gives me confidence that I can tackle this job. Useful pictures as a reference to.

So by way of an update, had to replace a small section on the floor and return lip which I did over the weekend.

Treated the surfaces to weld through primer. Then tonight had a go at replacing the inner box section that I had cut out. managed to get the new section tacked into position before calling it a night. Nice having soiled new metal going back in.

In between cutting and bending the new steel, priming it, and waiting for it to dry. Remove my side reflectors and drilled the back plate so that I could then mount a 5w bulb holder. Wired this to the side lights and hey pressto side marker lights.

Very please with myself. :-D
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:33 pm

Couple more hours has resulted in the inner sill being finished off. All welded up and primed.

Then started removing the arch by drilling the spot welds and cutting the rotten section out following the contour of the wheel arch.

The leading edge of the inner arch is in good condition as shown below. :-D

But the back edge is going to need some more work. I will need to fabricate a new inner arch lip for this area. :doh:
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:37 pm

Sorry meant to ask. Don't suppose any member has a a sheet metal shrinking machine I cant hire/borrow for a small fee???

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”