What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

1991 Eunos V-Special Mod thread 2

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
71notout
Regular

1991 Eunos V-Special Mod thread 2

Postby 71notout » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:48 pm

OK, Photobucket have changed their business model and want to charge me $400 to continue hosting my photos so i've switched them to Imgur. Unfortunately I cannot edit my original thread to fix the links so i've been told to start a completely new one. I will just cut and paste from the old one for ease...

I thought it was about time I documented everything I have done to my wee Eunos since I bought her in March 2015.

She was bought from Goodwood Sportscars in Berwick as a fresh import from Japan and I am the first UK owner.

She's a 1991 Eunos Roadster, V-Special in Brilliant Black.

Before I bought her, she had:

Replacement long nose crank engine
New mohair hood with glass screen
Retrimmed seats
Replacement doorcards
Respray
New exhaust backbox
New battery
Full service

The front bumper had no holes drilled into it so I asked Steve if he would fit an offset plate rather than drill holes in the bumper, and to be honest, I am not a fan of the black plastic plinths a lot of 5's have.

Here she is after getting her home and giving her a good wash:

First things first, replace the MX-5 badge for a proper Eunos one and the obligatory PH smiley!

Then the spending started :D

I bought some Koni shocks and Eibach springs from a guy on MX5 Nutz and had them fitted.

I couldn't really get on with how the car sat on these. She was a bit too high at the rear, and too low at the front (we have loads of high speedbumps around where I live) so a search for new suspension was on.

I bought a windbreak from a mk2 as I find them pretty useful and make a big difference to buffeting in the cabin.

I also fitted a new headunit - the old one was a real mess of wiring and the new one is USB input only so is only half the depth.

I bought a gearshift boot kit from MX5 parts and fitted that as the old one was pretty torn up.

I then saw a group buy over on MX5 Nutz for Meister-R Zeta S coilovers.

These get great feedback so I decided to go for some - they really are beautiful things, almost too nice to hide under a car :D

I also bought some mirrors to replace the OEM chrome ones as the spring on my drivers mirror has broken and the mirror won't stay in place. To be perfectly honest, they weren't the best but would do for the timebeing.

Sitting on Meisters and new mirrors:

I saw a guy on one of the MX5 Facebook groups making reinforced door stops so decided to go for some as they apparently help a little with stiffening things up.

Next up was a replacement exhaust - Moss had a deal on and it was too good to pass on - the car had a new OEM exhaust fitted when I bought it but I wanted something with a bit more burble...

I spent an afternoon in the local scrappies, looking for some wee bits of trim my car was missing and struck lucky with the only mk1 that was in there! It's the small things..

Bonnet trim

Headlight trim

Then came another big spend - I had been looking for some aftermarket alloys. I knew I didn't want to go too big, and in the end decided to stick with 14" although went up from 5.5 to 7" width. I absolutely love these alloys!! Note: Still not fitted, need to get them coated i G-Techniq C5 and some tyres on them ready for this year.

How light?!

Around the end of September the weather was turning and my thoughts were towards making sure my wee Eunos didn't rot away to nothing (not that she sees many inclement weather days to be honest). So I took her through to Preserve & Protect in Johnstone for a full Dinitrol underseal - what a great job!

Next up were some retro toggle switches for the hazards and headlights from Revlimiter. Adam makes some really cool stuff and these had been on my list for a while!

I then decided to de-tango the sidelights, and sand off all the raised letters on the outside of the lights/indicators/reflectors - stops wax getting stuck in amongst them and freshens everything up a bit too.

I also fitted some LED sidelight bulbs and silvatec indicator bulbs.

I then saw some lovely Zoom bits for sale on Nutz - I missed out on the Zoom filler cap but I did get my hands on some lovely carbon mirros to replace the dodgy ones I had fitted previously.

I bought an induction kit (cone filter and heatshield) from a guy on MX5 Scotland - I am in the process of fitting this currently.

Next up were some matching window toggle switches and built in cup holder from Jass Performance. I also bought some brushed metal vent rings.

Whilst she has been in the garage over the winter, I have been attacking her with my dual action polisher and loads of wax:

Which brings me up to this month.

I have had the car in the garage, up on my new CJ Autos adjustable car ramps as I wanted to remove the aircon (I also have an annoying oil leak to source/sort). This never worked, and with it being old, illegal gas required, I decided to junk everything - the pump, radiator, condenser, pump bracket - all that lot weighed in at around 18kg of weight savings! I have sourced a non-aircon crossover pipe to connect the heater to the blowers behind the dash.

I decided to keep the aircon fan for some additional cooling to the engine should I need it.

Quite a lot to remove:

Those car ramps..

With the aircon rad removed, my main rad was in the firing line for any stray stones, so I have fitted an IL Motorsports grille.

I removed the washer reservoir and header tank to clean them (dishwasher tab & boiling water works wonders!) but when I filled my header tank I noticed water coming out a hairline crack in the corner so a replacement was sourced from Autolink.

I saw someone selling a silver strut brace, the same as the yellow one fitted to the S-Special, I had never seen one in silver and was lucky enough to nab it.

I have also got some silicon coolant hoses from Stoney racing.

[Image

So, what's next?

Well the car will be taken off SORN in April and MOTed.

I need to get the new tyres fitted to the Enkeis and get them on the car.

Hopefully fix the oil leak and cure the gear lash that she suffers from on overrun as well.

I still have further plans and will update this thread as and when they happen.

Thanks for viewing, apologies for being a bit of a photo whore :D
71notout
Regular

Re: 1991 Eunos V-Special Mod thread 2

Postby 71notout » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:49 pm

I fitted my new Zoom filler cap yesterday - been after one for ages to go with the Zoom mirrors!

Love the look of these, although I did strip the threads on the remote opener when putting it back on so a wee call to Autolink tomorrow methinks.

71notout
Regular

I fitted my replacement filler cap release tonight (bought from Autolink) and everything closes nicely now.

I finally got my induction kit fitted - I know about heatsoak and all that, but I love the induction roar you get with these so i'll run it for a wee while to see how it sounds.

I just need to refill the coolant system and get everything nice and hot to check for leaks.

Then it's to be booked in for a fresh MOT and get the ting off SORN and on the road for the better weather.

71notout
Regular

So, after passing her MOT last week with no advisories, I thought it was a bout time I got my new alloys on.

I went through to Skidz in Falkirk to get the tyres fitted yesterday, decided on 195/60/14 Vredestein Sportrac 5 and really glad I went for the slightly wider tyre and bigger sidewall - I love the retro balloon tyre look.

The wheels look ace, I gave them a coating of G-Techniq C5 before fitting. The only slight issue is the balancing weights are just skimming the brake callipers (running 1.8 brakes) so I need to take a wee bit off them to stop this.

Makes a massive change to the car and I am completely chuffed with how she looks now.

**Warning - loads of photies ahead :D **

71notout
Regular

Postby 71notout » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:50 pm

So I finally got round to filing down the front callipers slightly to prevent the wheels weights from rubbing against them.

There is now a slight gap,I believe the official measurement is a bawhair :lol:

Gave the filed areas a coat of the g-techniq c5 polymer coating I put on the alloys to kep rust at bay.

I also checked my drain channels using my new trombone cleaner but nothing came out as they are clear which is peace of mind!

71notout
Regular

Postby 71notout » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:50 pm

I finally got fed up of my glacial electric windows so decided to have a go at cleaning/regreasing everything to see if it improved things.

I also used the opportunity to fit the sound deadening and new speakers.

Before I started, the line up of required products:

White lithium grease for the metal runners, silicon spray for the rubber channel attached to the quarterlight

Door card before I attacked it:

Attachments removed:
[Image

Doorcard off:

Inner waterproof barrier removed (really messy glue used):

Rear channel view from above, note missing guide wheel!!:

Lower window until these three screws are visible (removed in pic) this holds the glass on to the window mechanism:

Remove the 2 white plastic stoppers as well and the window should be able to lift out of the door:

Store it out of the way!:

Front runner/channel:

Runners are held on by these 3 14mm nuts:

And these 3 on the bottom edge of the door:

I decided not to remove cables from front runner, rather just lay it on the top of the door and clean in situ:

Whereas I completely removed the rear runner for cleaning:

Lots of lovely old, hardened grease (white spirit and q-tips make light work):

Replacement rear guide wheels sourced from a Mk2 at the scrappies Sunday morning (thankfully found one with manual windows so I could manipulate the glass to remove):

Found the old one sitting in the door!:

Started fitting the sound deadening before reassembly:

Fitted some around the speaker hole to help absorb vibrations:

Passenger side done as well:

Refitting is the reversal of removal, just be careful when putting the glass back into the door and sliding it down to meet with the holding bracket.

Don't fully tighten the 14mm nuts on the guides until you have checked operation of the windows, then when you are happy, nip them up.

Car rides so much quieter now, no doubt helped by replacing the missing rear guide wheels and the sound when closing the doors has improved dramatically :D
71notout
Regular

Postby 71notout » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:51 pm

It was great to actually get in and give this wee car the drive it deserves yesterday!

Absolutely loved the spin up to Braemar for Scot5 2016, and loved being in amongst a bunch of likeminded dafties in their MX5s :D

Really pleased with how she behaved, and I have confidence that I screwed everything together correctly after my winter fettling.

Managed to sneak a couple of wee shots of the car at Glenshee on the way home.

71notout
Regular

Sat 3rd Sept marked the 25th birthday for this wee car so I bought her some new door cards, crash pads and an HVAC panel as a birthday treat!

I have always wanted door cards with teardrop speaker covers, and I really like the small handle versions made in 1993-94 so when a set came up for sale I bit the guys hand off!

Today I finally got around to fitting everything.

I am really pleased with the difference fitting all these has made to the car.

Old crash pad removed - it had been stuck on with some serious glue and unfortunately I had to break it to get it off :(

New door cards:

New HVAC panel:

Overall, much brighter in the cabin!

71notout
Regular

I decided to head out today as I start back at work from Monday (been a man of leisure for 5 weeks - could get used to it!).

I thought i'd head over the Whiteadder via Duns to Berwick and pop into Goodwood Sportscars to catch up with Steve as he hasn't seen the car since I bought it a year and a half ago.

I also hoped i'd get a couple of decent photos whilst I was at it.

I also fitted a pair of Googly Eyes so she can dress up for halloween :D

[Image
71notout
Regular

Postby 71notout » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:52 pm

Time for some updates...

Firstly I made myself a slam panel cover out of aluminium sheeting, but I wasn't happy with the look so I bought some carbon fibre wrap and covered it with that. I am really happy with the way things turned out:

Next up I decided to fit an enclosed air filter and take a feed from the scuttle area as it is a high pressure area so lots of nice cold air and the induction roar is very addictive! I had to remove the OEM washer bottle to drill a hold in the firewall where it used to sit.

Now this meant I had no washer bottle so I ordered one from Fast5 that sits up in the other side of the scuttle area. I had to wire in an external pump as well and reroute my washer hoses to the other side.

I then cleaned the engine bay in prep for a car show I have in 3 weeks time, showing the Eunos for the first time!

(You may notice I have painted the exhaust heat shield in VHT black as well to clean it up a bit)

And the outside got a quick wash down in prep for some serious polishing and waxxing to come in the next couple of weeks.

The next update (in a week or two) should be a bit Marmite as it concerns these:

71notout
Regular

Oops,forgot all about the retro side repeaters I had fitted!
You can see them here -
71notout
Regular

Finally got my side stripes fitted today. Really pleased with how they make the car look now!

71notout
Regular

Postby 71notout » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:53 pm

Another update!

An item i've been after for ages came up for sale on one of the MX5 Facebook groups last week so I had to buy it - got it from a guy in Bournemouth, posted Friday and arrived Saturday!

It's an IL Motorsport rear view mirror and I love it. OK, it vibrates above certain revs which means you see double out of it but it's definitely a case of form over function :D

I also took the car to my first classic show on Sunday, Thirlestane Castle in Lauder. I had lots of interest and loads of folk came up for a chat about the car. Unfortunately I was parked under a tree all day so came home covered in sap and bird poo :( Had to wash the car as soon as I got home, but thankfully with all the wax on her it came off pretty easily.

Some photos at the show:

Being judged...
71notout
Regular

Postby 71notout » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:53 pm

I have fixed my image hosting issues!

Basically Photobucket are saying i've gone over my 3rd party hosting limit and want me to pay $400 a year to continue so time to move everything lock, stock to another host.

They seem to be working, so fingers crossed!

Some latest photos of the car at a Central Scotland MX5 club meet in Falkirk last week (photo credits to Ryan Gilhooley).

71notout
Regular

Postby 71notout » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:45 pm

Latest addition, a bit more security to hopefully deter any casual thieves...

NRG short boss and quick release.

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”