What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

1995 G-Limited ***RESTORATION***Rebuild

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Re: 1995 G-Limited ***RESTORATION***Rebuild

Postby John&Luke » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:41 am

Good work on the boot. Think you are doing an amazing job.

Well done.

Out of interest how many rattle cans of base and lacquer have you got through so far. Did you have a big batch mixed or are you buying as you go along?
1996 Mk1 Classic Red 1.6 sorted
1995 Mk 1 White 1.6 in need of TLC
2015 Mk1 1.8 Exocet Mk1 on steroids
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:17 pm

Thanks Blacky & John, I'm getting better at it I think.

It's pretty bad - based on what I'm using so far, when complete:

Colour coat, 24 cans for the body presumably which will have been mixed as one batch. I did the engine bay and scuttle in an additional three cans but it doesn't matter if they don't match exactly. So 27 total.

Etch primer, probably around 7 cans.

Grey primer, I think it'll be around 36-40 cans.

Clearcoat, I expect to use around 30 cans.

It's quite frankly a stupid idea to paint a whole car in this way, i'd never advise anyone to do it - seriously!!
Last edited by Lumphammer on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:24 pm

I started dry sanding the bonnet to get the peeling clearcoat off it this evening, it started to rain heavy so changed to using 180grit wet and dry in the rain.

Worked quite well, soaked to the skin tho

bonnet_wet.jpg
bonnet_wet.jpg (520.41 KiB) Viewed 8376 times
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:36 pm

Overdid the water a bit, didn't you. :laughing-rolling:

You need to mow the lawn now
'96 Gleneagles MeisterR Coilovers - engine bling stainless mx5parts full exhaust
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:14 pm

Painted the bonnet, came out alright. There's a lot of surface area on a bonnet :lol:

bonnet_painted.jpg
bonnet_painted.jpg (344.46 KiB) Viewed 8278 times

Made a good start on the pop up light covers but didn't take any pictures. After they were wet sanded back to remove the old paint, just etch prime and normal primer on top.

I've rubbed back the door mirrors and I might do the covers gloss black with the little plastic cowls that mount on the door body coloured, I think it might look nice because the wheels are gloss black
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:46 pm

Done the light lids and the door mirrors are fully prepped.

lid_1.jpg
lid_1.jpg (406.29 KiB) Viewed 8254 times

lid2.jpg
lid2.jpg (428.7 KiB) Viewed 8254 times

The small bits are great because I can take them inside and wet sand in the kitchen sink :-D
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:24 pm

Painted the door mirrors first thing this morning with Upol gloss black with clear coat on top - They've come out really well, like black glass :-D

Sanded the ball mount bracket back to Alu, etch prime and black

The little plastic covers were done body coloured to match in with the doors etc

wet_sand.jpg
wet_sand.jpg (357.65 KiB) Viewed 8236 times

door_mirrors.jpg
door_mirrors.jpg (512.18 KiB) Viewed 8237 times
Last edited by Lumphammer on Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:43 pm

:bow-yellow: You’re getting good at painting with rattle cans!

What happens when a proper spray gun arrives under the Christmas tree :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:49 pm

John&Luke wrote:What happens when a proper spray gun arrives under the Christmas tree :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Santa had better have a good line in compressors
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:21 pm

Going from the promo stuff i've seen the G-Ltd would have originally come with rear mudgaurds, and i think they look nice so these came from a local breakers. They were off a truly rotten 1990 car, so not quite right but good enough and the price was excellent! :-D

They have a lot of scuffs and one had a break

Spats_rep_1.jpg
Spats_rep_1.jpg (425.1 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

I used a soldering iron to "stitch" it back together in the right way

spats_rep_2.jpg
spats_rep_2.jpg (457.2 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

and then fibreglass on the back after scratching / scuffing the hell out of it to give a key

spats_rep_3.jpg
spats_rep_3.jpg (421.29 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

I've wet sanded them back to take off the layers of bad paint (looks like a murder scene..)

spats_2.jpg
spats_2.jpg (421.08 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

But they will paint up OK and fit the rear bumper

spats_1.jpg
spats_1.jpg (522.96 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

spats_3.jpg
spats_3.jpg (536.23 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

The rear bumper had a few bit of damage, the worst one was this. I did it a while ago but only just got back onto the rear bumper - i used the copper stitching to pull it into shape and then fibreglass on the back

bumper_repair_1.jpg
bumper_repair_1.jpg (418.6 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

[
bumper_repair_2.jpg
bumper_repair_2.jpg (433.42 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

It's sanded back well and appears strong, more importantly everything lines up!!

bumper_repair_3.jpg
bumper_repair_3.jpg (447.25 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

Used flexible plastic filler to smooth it in

Bumper_repair_4.jpg
Bumper_repair_4.jpg (402.56 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

There was also stuff like this where mounting tabs had been ripped off. I put a plate behind to get the shape and then shaped the cured fibreglass it to "about right" once set (need to drill out the holes)

bumper_rep_tang.jpg
bumper_rep_tang.jpg (320.97 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

The bumper has had its first lot of sanding to take off the old unstable paint and now need to build back up and fill all the little holes and dents. I think it will come out alright.

bumper_wet_sand.jpg
bumper_wet_sand.jpg (590.61 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

The front bumper has been guide coated and i've put on another coat of primer that i need to to wet sand before paint

front_bumper.jpg
front_bumper.jpg (370.87 KiB) Viewed 8190 times

Also picked up some original boot furniture after Waynes help - so now i've got a spare wheel inc. cover and fixings, battery clamp, ashtray and a replacement door switch because mine wanged itself off into oblivion when i removed it months ago :-D
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:07 pm

Finally got the front bumper painted. The first time I got a really bad "haze" or milky look on the top of the base coat, I don't know for sure but I think it was something to do with humidity. It was raining heavilly outside and it's my best guess, there wasn't anything else different :???:

I sanded the base coat with 600 grit wet a few days ago and then re-did it early this morning and thankfull this time it's come out alright.

The car will have one of the offset rectangular number plates so the front had to look smooth :-D

painted_2.jpg
painted_2.jpg (379.77 KiB) Viewed 8078 times

painted_1.jpg
painted_1.jpg (373.12 KiB) Viewed 8078 times
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:39 am

Hi buddy, yes your ‘haze’ is likely to be blooming where moisture is absorbed before the paint is dry.

Looks the part now. Did you have to fill any screw holes for the old number plate? I had 6 different self tapper holes to fill in mine.
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:40 pm

It's an import so I had a couple of sets of Japanese holes and then a couple of sets of UK holes, it was 11 in all. Fibreglassed behind it because thought the number and size of holes (some were 1/2"..?! :???: ) might have weakened it.

Starting to prep the hardtop, got most of the parts off - is there a way to remove the two rear catches that mount onto the frankenstien bolts? There are two small screws on the underside on each catch but even when removed the catches won't pull out. Any ideas? Would make prep and painting a lot easier with them gone.

I fear they might be bonded in
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:44 pm

They are bonded in but you can remove all the hard wear.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:53 pm

Thanks Wayne, ironically they've come in handy - decided it was going to be really hard to paint this thing flat so had to make a stand to hold it for painting.

I've done all the big prep - Usual peeling paint, stone chips / other odd chips, low spots. Sanded it back and filled them.

This is the stand i've made, mixture of offcuts of stud timer and pallet wood.

stand.jpg
stand.jpg (498.85 KiB) Viewed 7975 times

The top is held on these two lugs made from a stack of M10 nuts, penny washer and a screw through the middle. Wrapped in a s**t ton of electrical tape to avaoid scratching the metal lugs.

lugs.jpg
lugs.jpg (403.3 KiB) Viewed 7975 times

It's pretty good, the center of gravity is a bit far forwards but it'd be massive otherwise. Going to have to paint the hardtop last because nothing else will fit in the garage with this thing and all the other stuff in there :lol:

roof_stand.jpg
roof_stand.jpg (521.32 KiB) Viewed 7975 times

Rear bumper has had a good coat of primer and is ready for guide coat and wet sanding

bumper.jpg
bumper.jpg (371.73 KiB) Viewed 7975 times

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”