What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

1995 G-Limited ***RESTORATION***Rebuild

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: 1995 G-Limited ***RESTORATION***Rebuild

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:27 pm

Where are you Tom..
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:18 am

Sweet work as ever. Well done.
1996 Mk1 Classic Red 1.6 sorted
1995 Mk 1 White 1.6 in need of TLC
2015 Mk1 1.8 Exocet Mk1 on steroids
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:04 pm

I got a neutral switch for the 6-speed - brand new from a Mazda garage, I couldn't believe it myself. Cost ÂŁ55 but still amazed they could get it, from Belgium :-D

switch.jpg
switch.jpg (336.01 KiB) Viewed 8978 times

Put it in very carefully, used a tiny smear of RTV on the flange

Most of the weekend was spent tidying the storage area - aka underneath the car.

I put the propshaft in, I used the alignment instruction in the 2002 workshop manual which from memory states 66mm +/- 5mm between the PPF just after the second bolt to a straight edge across the frame rails. I dropped it a mm because I replaced the frame rails and they were a touch further out than standard. I put the driveshafts in and clipped the battery loom to the PPF. I swapped the reverse switch bullet connectors on the MK1 loom to the blade type on the 6-speed.

Just filled the diff with oil and so far none has come back out - so that's good...? :lol:

under_car.jpg
under_car.jpg (473.08 KiB) Viewed 8978 times

Put the rear brakes back on, need to put the new lines on and I think the N/S handbrake needs some fettling but it's starting to look something like a car :dance:

rear_brakes.jpg
rear_brakes.jpg (370.22 KiB) Viewed 8978 times

Need a new small nut for the NS driveshaft. Although the driveshafts are essentially the same, the NS has the smaller nut just because that's the original one and not the OS which was rebuilt

Hopefully I'll be able to get the brakes bled and working in the evenings this week
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:40 pm

Have been a bit slow, still haven't got the brakes working.

Made a clamp for the intake pipe crossover tube. It came with a bent bit of steel and a big jubilee clip to support it - well shonky. Made this from nylon and bent a bracket from 3mm alu. There's a top cap, not pictured.

clamp_01.jpg
clamp_01.jpg (298.52 KiB) Viewed 8782 times

Clamp fitted, holds it quite nicely. I've estimated the angle of dangle on the crossover tube, i'll make a shield to reflect exhaust manifold heat at some point

clamp_03.jpg
clamp_03.jpg (494.79 KiB) Viewed 8782 times

Fitted the exhaust 2.5" all the way back. It has a "fake cat" piece although this car I believe doesn't need to have a cat to pass an MOT in any case as it's an unlisted '95 JDM import. The mid section is resonated to try and keep the noise down a bit, no idea if it works

exhaust.jpg
exhaust.jpg (445.47 KiB) Viewed 8782 times

The exhaust was one of the few off the shelf parts to have a removable "dB killer" for strict tracks like Bedford. Two screws hold it in.

db_killer.jpg
db_killer.jpg (404.64 KiB) Viewed 8782 times

Starting to look remarkably like a functional engine bay :-D

clamp_02.jpg
clamp_02.jpg (547.46 KiB) Viewed 8782 times
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:49 pm

If only I had the talent on show here.

Excellent attention to detail and presentation.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:55 am

Stunning :bow-yellow:
1996 Mk1 Classic Red 1.6 sorted
1995 Mk 1 White 1.6 in need of TLC
2015 Mk1 1.8 Exocet Mk1 on steroids
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:34 pm

I haven't done a lot for a while, had some other things I had to do and been feeling a bit down. Did a bit today which was nice, there's been a few occasions where i've wanted to put a bead on small diameter steel tubing for hoses and stuff. I know with small stuff you can usually get away with a tight fit and a hose clip but a bead is a nicer way to do it.

Trouble is with 10mm and 12mm OD tube it's getting a bit small so I got inspiration from this ingenious thread on a landrover forum:

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/98599-be ... all-bores/

I decided to use the machines to needlessly over complicate it, it's pretty much the same with the addition of a bronze bushing for the die which itself is made from drill rod (pretty hard). I had some skateboard bearings for the idlers and the spacing is adjusted with packing washers.

bead_roller2.jpg
bead_roller2.jpg (337.65 KiB) Viewed 8420 times

bead_roller.jpg
bead_roller.jpg (286.28 KiB) Viewed 8420 times

I'm driving the die with a drill because it's quicker, lashed up with cable ties including one on the drills trigger. Medium ish speed on the slow setting.

using_thing.jpg
using_thing.jpg (605.01 KiB) Viewed 8420 times

The result is superb, you support the rotating piece with one hand whilst winding in the screw to close the gap up with the other. This is some 11mm OD by 1mm wall steel tube from the junk pile. Took under a minute to do.

bead_01.jpg
bead_01.jpg (359.24 KiB) Viewed 8420 times

bead_02.jpg
bead_02.jpg (199.49 KiB) Viewed 8420 times

It can go down to 10mm OD by 1mm wall tube, which is pretty small and will be very useful for making professional looking hardlines

Apart from that i put a catch can in, i'll be redoing the hardlines when some new tube arrives - i foolishly forgot to incorporate enough flex for engine vibration

catch_can.jpg
catch_can.jpg (486.55 KiB) Viewed 8420 times
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Mon May 03, 2021 6:07 pm

I was pretty happy with the standard radiator but a chap local was selling a big alu. radiator with a pair of slimline Mishimoto fans for a good price so i couldn't resist. Made some new brackets for the fans, the ones with it were ok but I didn't like the look of them, re made them in 3mm alu. - red fans ruins my color scheme a bit but hey ho :lol:

The second fan is connected to the old A/C fan connection which i found i can control to come on with the main fan in the ECU which is nice. Had to put the old A/C relay clutter back in but it's not too bad.

side.jpg
side.jpg (544.6 KiB) Viewed 8174 times

Decided the hardlines to the catch can were a PITA with vibration so got rid of them, not quite as neat but it'll work better

over.jpg
over.jpg (519.43 KiB) Viewed 8174 times

Apart from needing to buy a few washers, seals and other stuff i forgot about I'm pretty much ready to start the engine for the first time - exciting times! :-|
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon May 03, 2021 6:55 pm

I might have some blue ones to swap for the red ones to finish the colour scheme...
But lets get the engine started, :handgestures-thumbup: :coffee:
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Natehd9
Regular

Postby Natehd9 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:24 pm

I'd been trying to find a beading tool for making my new fuel lines but don't have access to a lathe so have had to resort to ordering a dual purpose pipe flaring kit from the states.

Excellent work Tom, this will be the best track car in the UK by the time you're finished!
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Fri May 07, 2021 8:34 pm

A cracking show car with the attention to detail being applied.

Wish I had half the skills on show.
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)

Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sat May 15, 2021 7:39 pm

Thanks Nate, i copied the one from the landrover forum and just made it a bit better with machines - the original is brilliant and i think the guy made it with just a few different drill bits and a grinder.

It won't be a show car blacky, i'm not sure it's going to be purely a track car - more like a fun project car. The Mk2.5 is my daily car and that takes all manner of abuse - hauling building materials mainly (did you know an mx5 can comfortably carry 275kg of sand / cement and 325kg at a push?). This won't be doing that :-D

Got the brakes done today! Me and my friend bled them all through, no issues. I think we did about 4 cycles around all four corners, the pedal feels nice and rigid - i think all the air is out, everything is clear but will give it another bleed after it's been on the road a bit. Used Mobil DOT4, it was a totally dry system so i thought of using a DOT5 or a high temp DOT4 - but then decided a good quality DOT4 will be fine.

rear_brakes.jpg
rear_brakes.jpg (409.65 KiB) Viewed 8017 times

front_brakes.jpg
front_brakes.jpg (371.16 KiB) Viewed 8017 times

If anyone is interested - a totally dry NA8 fitted with "big brakes" uses about 0.6l of brake fluid

The clutch was an absolute sod, after over an hour of "pedal up / pedal down" with nothing happening i decided the master cylinder was somehow faulty, despite being rebuilt in the autumn. So i drained it out and took it to bits

clutch_ms_apart.jpg
clutch_ms_apart.jpg (372.5 KiB) Viewed 8017 times

Nothing wrong with it at all... ffs... the clutch just gets a massive air lock when dry, probably all those bendy coils of tubing. Got it working eventually by using one of the huge diff. oil syringes to pull enough vacuum on the bleed nipple to prime the master cylinder. And then it works fine. Definitely a learning experience.

clutch_slave.jpg
clutch_slave.jpg (409.21 KiB) Viewed 8017 times

Apart from that, the car now has coolant and 10 litres of jungle juice in the tank, going to have a play with the ECU tomorrow

fluids.jpg
fluids.jpg (530.73 KiB) Viewed 8017 times
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Sat May 15, 2021 9:49 pm

Well I am no qualified judge but the standard of work on show is something to be proud of and well worth showing off.
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)

Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat May 15, 2021 10:18 pm

On a fresh slave etc or dry brakes we use a fluid sucker and pull through on the bleed nipple,so much faster and better, as you have found out with a dry slave system....all you had to do was ask Thomas....;0) lol.
We have already struggled so no one else needs to xxxx
M-m

Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sat May 15, 2021 11:15 pm

Well, I get that but the brakes were fine, exactly as I expected. It was just the clutch... what a pain!

I've just been fiddling and the oil pressure is now reading correctly when cranking and whilst there's no nice running it is making some encouraging pops and bangs. I suspect the timing is wappo but i've taken the battery off to put on charge - call it a night

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”