What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

2002 Arizona Rebuild

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
Lumphammer

2002 Arizona Rebuild

Postby Lumphammer » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:21 pm

This is my 2002 Mk2.5 "Arizona" 1.8 VVT. The car is a fairly standard 1.8 Mk2.5, it's got Gaz Gold Pro suspension, roll bar and usual SE factory fitted stuff

car.jpg
car.jpg (460.18 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

I've owned it for about 14 years and it's a the car I drive every day. I've done a lot of servicing and maintenance on it over the years and it's the first car I ever did any work on. A few years ago I re-did most of the underside because several of the wishbones had rotten through.

Unfortunately this time round it needs a lot more. Both rear arches are totally shot, there's no inner wing anymore

Near side:

ns_rear_arch.jpg
ns_rear_arch.jpg (323.8 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

Off side is the worst of the two but they're both kaput:

os_rear_arch.jpg
os_rear_arch.jpg (393.12 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

Both rear lowers are gone, there's a hole in the near side and i reckon i could poke one in the other pretty easy:

ns_lower_rear.jpg
ns_lower_rear.jpg (387.04 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

os_lower_rear.jpg
os_lower_rear.jpg (420.36 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

Bubbling comes and goes along both sills, so they're shot too

Engine bay suggests the chassis rails are gone or near to gone:

bay1.jpg
bay1.jpg (479.92 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

bay2.jpg
bay2.jpg (425.2 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

Remarkably both sill end plates look alright, so i haven't bought any of them (yet..) but i've bought some genuine Mazda sills and aftermarket rear arch repair panels. Not massively happy with the repair panels biggest objection is the crease and fold where the panels tuck under the sill pieces

Mazda_sills.jpg
Mazda_sills.jpg (432.63 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

rear_arches.jpg
rear_arches.jpg (360.8 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

Learned a few things from the blue car - mostly that I'm never painting a car with rattle cans again! :lol: Spent a bit of time making a nice air setup

I got this big compressor for Ā£50 second hand, it's 14cfm with a 150 litre tank. Needed a new head gasket and a new soft start / pressure cutout switch but it works great now

big_comp.jpg
big_comp.jpg (425.2 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

And a small 8cfm compressor during the first lock down for Ā£20 that just needed a new rubber washer cutting for the blow off valve

small_comp.jpg
small_comp.jpg (465.54 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

I read that water can be a big problem with compressed air in a garage so I made a water separator out of 15mm and 22mm copper

water_sep.jpg
water_sep.jpg (426.69 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

The two lower legs are drained with these two ball valves

water_drain.jpg
water_drain.jpg (443.15 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

The big compressor is noisy as hell so put in an external hookup for it so it can run outside. Used a PCL Euro XF connector to get good flow and put in an external socket on a 16A radial back to the CU

PCL_Euro_XF.jpg
PCL_Euro_XF.jpg (566.45 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

outside_hookup.jpg
outside_hookup.jpg (554.8 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

Both compressors feed into the water trap so I can use the big one, small one or both if I want to do something like shot blasting.

Most of the time i'll be using the smaller compressor inside. At the angry end is a filter regulator then another filter and it splits off with one part going to an oiler for tools and another for clean dry air for paint

filter_reg.jpg
filter_reg.jpg (412.92 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

I'll need to fabricate several pieces including an inner arch as there's nothing left where it should be, so got some basic benders and a shrinker stretcher

benders.jpg
benders.jpg (484.16 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

shrinker_stretcher.jpg
shrinker_stretcher.jpg (462.13 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

I've had a go with the shrinker stretcher and i think it'll do a good job at making a new inner wing

Also got a couple of air tools - punch / flange setter for the large number of plug welds i'll need to do and a nibbler for trimming panels etc. Then just loads of cheap mole grips and a basic pannel beaters hammer set

tools.jpg
tools.jpg (535.49 KiB) Viewed 6757 times

Was going to start this weekend but I'm laid up with a cold. First thing will be to get it up on axle stands on the drive, remove bumpers / front wings and pressure wash everything to within an inch of it's life. Don't want to be bathed in road dirt dust when wire mopping like last time

Then get it inside and see how far down the rabbit hole i'll end up going. Appreciate there's no economic point in doing this but I like this car so it's getting done properly regardless of how much cost and misery it entails :lol:
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: 2002 Arizona Rebuild

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:20 pm

:coffee:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
graymattor
Regular

Postby graymattor » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:13 pm

You are a sucker for punishment Lumphammer lol!!

14 years of ownership, impressive, and a decent spec as well, judging by the results of the last one, this one can only be better..

Really looking forward to seeing your updates.

PS i would love to see more info on your water loop for the compressor, and i would love to pipe mine in copper around the garage too so i dont have pipe running all over the place.. I too have a 150l 14CFM compressor, i am hoping its man enough for the equipment i have and paint spraying, its an old beast that could do with a service but works well, (i was considering an air receiver tank (or a tank from another compressore that was beyond repair).. I think a shrinker/stretcher and bender is on my list to get next! i really want to start mine but im SOOOOO hesitant with not doing anything like this before!! mine would never be to the detail and depth of your builds, i really just want to do it right so the Mrs can use it next year :-)

Keep the updates coming
S-Ltd - Ongoing project, far from standard!
J-Ltd - (Mrs's) - New project, staying standard (ish)
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:26 pm

graymattor wrote:You are a sucker for punishment Lumphammer lol!!

14 years of ownership, impressive, and a decent spec as well, judging by the results of the last one, this one can only be better..

PS i would love to see more info on your water loop for the compressor, and i would love to pipe mine in copper around the garage too so i dont have pipe running all over the place.. I too have a 150l 14CFM compressor, i am hoping its man enough for the equipment i have and paint spraying, its an old beast that could do with a service but works well, (i was considering an air receiver tank (or a tank from another compressore that was beyond repair).. I think a shrinker/stretcher and bender is on my list to get next! i really want to start mine but im SOOOOO hesitant with not doing anything like this before!! mine would never be to the detail and depth of your builds, i really just want to do it right so the Mrs can use it next year :-)

Keep the updates coming

Then make a start and do it bud...we are here to kick your ar*e if your stuck or slacking.
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
graymattor
Regular

Postby graymattor » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:26 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:

Keep the updates coming

Then make a start and do it bud...we are here to kick your ar*e if your stuck or slacking.
M-m

Thanks, i need it!! i am 'hoping' to spend the Christmas break working on the Mrs's car, i've just finished the bathroom renovation so i am going to have a bit of time off the house while i work on some garage projects (i hope)
S-Ltd - Ongoing project, far from standard!
J-Ltd - (Mrs's) - New project, staying standard (ish)
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:40 pm

Well we are here if needed...it's making that initial start...once started there is no turning back to finish , we can share our knowledge to help and brush the UN confidence away...
If you personally need me , you can get me easy enough.
M-m

blackyb

Postby blackyb » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:14 pm

Cant wait for some new reading material for 2022.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:05 pm

Keep the updates coming

It's just a simple water separator, the increase to 22mm drops the flow which helps separate water suspended in the air and the copper has a big surface area so the warm water vapour condenses on the walls and dribbles down. The two ball valves get opened periodically to release any condensed water. I copied the design from YouTube videos if you search for DIY water separator although it's a bit smaller than most because I didn't have much space to play with - hopefully it works... :-D

Had a good weekend taking stuff off and pressure washing the filth off - it was cold!!

Not found great stuff, many holes, sills are worse than I'd expected

ns_front_sill.jpg
ns_front_sill.jpg (469.96 KiB) Viewed 6519 times

os_front_sill.jpg
os_front_sill.jpg (445.5 KiB) Viewed 6519 times

Pretty bad. The inboard sill piece looks bad and the front girder bit is gone.. poof..

sill_hole.jpg
sill_hole.jpg (421.89 KiB) Viewed 6519 times

This is what it's supposed to look like when it's a bit rusty but still exists (still from a YouTube video)

zz_normal_sil.jpg
zz_normal_sil.jpg (495.11 KiB) Viewed 6519 times

Rear inner arches i thought would need a bit of farbication but nope, most of them is gone poof too! :lol:

ns_inner_arch_rear.jpg
ns_inner_arch_rear.jpg (500.38 KiB) Viewed 6519 times

os_inner_arch_rear.jpg
os_inner_arch_rear.jpg (573.55 KiB) Viewed 6519 times

This is how the rear inner arch is supposed to be formed (still again from YouTube video). Might be tricky to fabricate.

zz_normal_inner_arch.jpg
zz_normal_inner_arch.jpg (385.44 KiB) Viewed 6519 times

Front of the rear arches isn't as bad but the rot is still there. Probable need to get some new sill end plates

ns_inner_arch_front.jpg
ns_inner_arch_front.jpg (510.5 KiB) Viewed 6519 times

os_inner_arch_front.jpg
os_inner_arch_front.jpg (506.45 KiB) Viewed 6519 times

Battery tray is a bit furry but will be fairly straightforward to remake

battery_tray.jpg
battery_tray.jpg (438.59 KiB) Viewed 6519 times

First thing to work out is how to make a jig to fabricate a new inner arch as everything is rotten and I need a lot of access :think:

And then get this thing less rotten. Probably end up putting it on the rotisserie again, it's got to the point where if I don't fully strip it then it won't last another 5 years

car.jpg
car.jpg (472.91 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:15 pm

I just see standard issues , cut out, treat, replace ,protect...
M-m

Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:30 pm

Found that the battery tray rust was a bit worse than expected :lol:

01_rust.jpg
01_rust.jpg (530.13 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

Marked out the rust bit on the outside

02_mark.jpg
02_mark.jpg (367.05 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

Made a template and cut from 1.0mm steel

03_template_cut.jpg
03_template_cut.jpg (378.58 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

Put the return bend in first to give it a bit more rigidity and because it wouldnt have worked any other way then used an offcut of hardwood ply to make a crude bashing jig, clamped it down to stop warping and hit with a square faced hammer

04_form.jpg
04_form.jpg (530.95 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

Part came out pretty well

05_shape.jpg
05_shape.jpg (388.02 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

06_shape.jpg
06_shape.jpg (400.73 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

Tacked it into place on the car, was able to build to what was left of the metal & rust tray

07_tack.jpg
07_tack.jpg (378.26 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

With that tacked in I've got something to build to so I could remove the rest of the tray. Drilled out the spot welds holding the back part of the tray and then separate part of the lower rear arch

08_cut_tray.jpg
08_cut_tray.jpg (405.02 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

Load of rusty bits, but it's feasible to work with now

09_bits.jpg
09_bits.jpg (457.31 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

Made several templates for the tricky parts

10_temp.jpg
10_temp.jpg (324.61 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

This one was a sod. Used the shrinker stretcher quite a bit, it's pretty easy to work with

11_tap_parts.jpg
11_tap_parts.jpg (313.08 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

This is the patchwork quilt of of the rebuilt tray. It's alright, not mega pretty but it's solid. Will dress it back a bit but not overly fussed - it's a battery tray

12_tray.jpg
12_tray.jpg (424.9 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

13_tray.jpg
13_tray.jpg (462.76 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

Fits in well. Got the tray and the removed rear panel held together with clamps at the moment

14_tray_fitted.jpg
14_tray_fitted.jpg (398.02 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

15_tray_fitted.jpg
15_tray_fitted.jpg (403.81 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

Going to weld the inside cut line from hole provided by the removed panel. The outside edges will be plug welded from the outside of the car because it's easier

16_tray_fitted.jpg
16_tray_fitted.jpg (414.03 KiB) Viewed 6442 times

I've no idea if this is the right way to do it, couldn't see any other examples on the internet.

Got a bit more work to do on it, the removed panel has some rust that needs to be cut out but and fixed but that's fairly straightforward as it's all on one plane.
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:12 pm

Finished the panel thing, the top bit was a bit fiddly as it's got a step and a funny curve

panel.jpg
panel.jpg (475.05 KiB) Viewed 6410 times

fits well. Need to drill the plug weld holes and weld it in but will hold off a few days in the hope i can give both parts a shot blasting before painting

panel_fit.jpg
panel_fit.jpg (462.41 KiB) Viewed 6410 times

This bit on the near side looks sketchy af

rust.jpg
rust.jpg (534.95 KiB) Viewed 6410 times

It's buggered. Shouldn't be too bad to replace because both parts are flat and there's a convienient cut point around the spare wheel tray

more_rust.jpg
more_rust.jpg (548.16 KiB) Viewed 6410 times

Bet there's other rusty stuff under that tho. Probably do the off side too, can't imagine it's far behind. Rear chassis rails look OK tho.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:22 pm

You might be better getting some chemical on the underneath on and around the tie down hoop.
M-m

Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:27 pm

Going to try blasting and painting it when the backs off, i imagine it'll be horrifically messy :lol:
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:47 pm

It's not that bad, lots of the lips will need replacing, the jack storage tray lip is gone

removed.jpg
removed.jpg (450.64 KiB) Viewed 6401 times

Rails are good at least :-D

rails.jpg
rails.jpg (332.16 KiB) Viewed 6401 times
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:22 am

Lot easier to sort with that back panel off.
M-m

Return to ā€œMembers Mx-5/ Roadstersā€