What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

S-Ltd - "The Black Lemon"

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
graymattor
Regular

S-Ltd - "The Black Lemon"

Postby graymattor » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:40 pm

Hi All,

Well i have been threatening to post a build thread for my Eunos S-Ltd for a few years now! so here it is! (don't get too excited and its not one for purists, sorry!)

I purchased my S-Ltd in June/July 2017, it was quite a well known S-Ltd between the regular collectors, unfortunately when i came to purchase it most of the rare additions had been stripped. I purchased the car from a collector who is no longer in the MX5 scene, at the time i knew very little about MX5 and was looking to get one but one that interested me never came up, until this one and it was from a friend i had known for quite a long while, so i didn't hesitate and pulled the trigger (having not seen the vehicle). This is where things take a bit of a turn! when the car was delivered i almost cried! it was in such poor cosmetic condition inside and out, that coupled with the amount i paid, i was devastated!! there was no doubt over the years it had had some amount of money spent on the car, but it needed a re-spray and a retrim, big money i didnt have! so my heart was not in it from the beginning, to this day i think i have only driven the car about 15 miles and that was when i moved house from one house to another! since then i have 'tried' to get in to the car but i just struggled so much!! but i plodded on! tinkering with the bits i could!! NOW disclaimer! not knowing much about how rare these cars were and the car was already modded when i bought it, i have carried on down the modified route, so if you are a puriset look away now!!! and sorry if i have have waffled/waffling on!

These are the pictures of the car when i received it (believe me looks are deceiving).

I know what your thinking!! it doesn't look that bad at all!!

The hard top that came with it was smashed to bits, this needed a MASSIVE amount of work!!

Soooooo then after we moved house i headed down the path of improvement!! (so i hope any way!) :???:

SO initial purchases made were

1) GC Fabrication Roll Bar
2) Carbon Miata (Jubride) style arches
3) GV Style Rear Light Panel - i have made some custom seals to prevent water ingress
4) TSI's i cannot recall what make there were but i have custom made the
indicator area (which i may re-do again)
5) Rear strut brace
6) wider wheels which i will change for something better but doing the job at the moment
I also invested in a re-trim (in 2018 and still not gone through with it), seats are made which they have used at demos and they are just waiting for me to complete the car to send it down to them to be re-trimmed! i hope they honor what i've already paid! im sure they will lol!!
7) hard top spoiler (if i use it)

All the interior was stripped including the full dash (this will be trimmed)

So i set to with a few tweaks!

1) all mechanical switches for doors and bonnet were swapped out for magnetic reed switches in a bid to go for a smooth finish (don't ask, i dont know but they work well), these are wired to additional relays for under floor & seat lighting as well as trunk
2) Toad Ai606 full closure alarm installed
3) Installed central locking which works on the Toad Ai606
4) set to and installed the remaining two central locking solenoids for the boot release and also a petrol cap release, both of these are wired to push buttons at the dash and also to the two spare tiggers on the Toad Ai606, so i can pop the boot open and also the fuel cap without going inside the car
5) i also deleted the cables for the boot and fuel cap from the central area, these have been relocated under the passenger seat for emergencies
6) relocated the battery, well i turned it so it would sit flush to the boot opening so when its re-trimmed it will be fully enclosed.
7) Created my own wiring loom for electric mirrors

Some photos to break up the text!! (in no particular order)

Custom hard top mounting brackets to get around the fact you cannot use arh mounts with a fixed roll bar, well you can, but you really really struggle removing the hard top so it become a permanent fixture which i don't want.. oh my plan is to run without a soft top and just a bikini top (which i have purchased), teh car will only ever be used in the fine weather so a bikini top will be fine or a hard top (this may change i am not sure yet)

I also set to and removed the front subframe and fully refurbished, the reason why is the the very few miles i drove the car is drove awful! well after some investigation it turned out that the drivers side lower arm must have taken a hard knock in its previous life and was very badly bent, the wheel was not in the centre of the arch! so it was all sand blastered and painted up, i also upgraded the bushes to IL motorsport and skidnation camber bolts, i then designed and made a few custom parts, rack risers, engine mount risers and a sump guard (still needs modifying) i also upgraded to 1.8 brakes

S-Ltd - Ongoing project, far from standard!
J-Ltd - (Mrs's) - New project, staying standard (ish)
graymattor
Regular

Re: S-Ltd - "The Black Lemon"

Postby graymattor » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:41 pm

Then!! some Tuckin99 arches came up so i thought WHY NOT!! well they didn't fit all that well with the aftermarket front bumper and skirts!!! but i could possibly do something

THEN!! a Dcuatro rear bumper came up!! so i had to have it to match the front bumper, and this has put the nail in the Tuckin99 coffin, they will never fit now (so will be putting them up for sale, i really don't want to but i have no choice, so i am going back to the rev9 jubride style arches, these need some slight mods but nothing major, so here are some photos from earlier today when i dragged myself out to do a bit!!!

i have removed the KG Works spoiler, i am thinking it needs something more aggressive, now it has the rear bumper (which i didn't realise how much it is like a duce bumper, its very square), i think i like it! but its more a needs must because of the front bumper! i will never find or afford a Dcatro spoiler, but i think it needs something than a small ducktail spoiler, i'm open to ideas, i have seen a few but not sure if they are too extreme or not!

I am hoping that i can get this in to a paint booth (finally) at the end of January/start of February so i had a few hours trying to re-accommodate myself with the car, i have forgotten so much that i have done or need to do, etc!! hence the build thread!! i am hoping this will help me gain some enthusiasm, help me remember what i have done and need to do, and pester you guys for help!

Sorry for the long thread, there has been quite a few years to squeeze in! it has been a very long and difficult road!!
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:59 pm

It's your MX so you make her into what you want her to be.

From what I have seen and read so far, she is going to be one smart modded out MX5.

Enthusiasm I have in buckets, know how in small tins which is just as well as mine is a bog standard 91 1.6 Eunos.

If I had the time, money and space would love to buy another and have a go at super charging one, so till then I will be just content to read your write up and dream.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:05 pm

:text-coolphotos: :handgestures-thumbup: :coffee: :coffee:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
graymattor
Regular

Postby graymattor » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:28 pm

blackyb wrote:It's your MX so you make her into what you want her to be.

From what I have seen and read so far, she is going to be one smart modded out MX5.

Enthusiasm I have in buckets, know how in small tins which is just as well as mine is a bog standard 91 1.6 Eunos.

If I had the time, money and space would love to buy another and have a go at super charging one, so till then I will be just content to read your write up and dream.

Thanks Blackyb, your post is the exact reason I have posted this thread on mazdamenders, there is no judgement!! There are far to many keyboard warriors out there and I am far from confident in ANYTHING I do to my MX, its a lot of trial and error trying to make to my taste (whatever that is) so if I got battered by a keyboard warrior, some of who are knowledge and respected with the mx community I'd end up scrapping the car, ive come close many times over the years...

You sound very much like me, except I struggle with enthusiasm! Mainly because of my lack of knowledge and experience! I'm fairly good with electrics and but only so,so with mechanics as long as not to technical but, I doubt myself so I give up! But I can't afford to hand the keys over to a pro to do it for me, so just muddling a long which kills the enthusiasm even more (plus I'm renovating the house we live in, which takes priority) but one thing I am is patient lol

I am hoping the end result will look OK, im still not totally sure, its just grown arms and legs, but im way to invested financially to really give up on it, whether once done I keep it, I dont know lol!!!

If I do keep it I would like to super charge it, maybe turbo but a supercharger sounds a lot easier and will be more than enough power, but will need to be a bolt on kit lol!!

Fingers crossed 2022 sees it back on the road (if I can remember how to put it all back together!!!!)

Thanks M-M, I'm hoping there will be more to come!
graymattor
Regular

Postby graymattor » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:47 pm

What's people's opinions on a paint colour?

It's an S-Ltd, sooooo interior is going to be full red with some black and stainless

Exterior im not sure with being an S-Ltd I was going PZ black.... but I hate owning black cars, it's an awful colour to live with! I'm quite OCD so the slightest mark would destroy me!! And black shows EVERYTHING!!

SOOOOO I'm considering a colour change (excluding engine bay and boot) but obviously needs to be complimented by red interior!! Or I stick with black? Thoughts?

I've thought grey! I know, common as muck these days but i quite like the porsche agate grey? My brother said cream! Not sure about that! Any other suggestions? (Blue has already been done)

IMG_0168.jpg
IMG_0168.jpg (101.2 KiB) Viewed 4287 times

MacanandGT301.jpg
MacanandGT301.jpg (348.13 KiB) Viewed 4287 times

IMG_34265large.jpg
IMG_34265large.jpg (575.68 KiB) Viewed 4287 times

108616351.jpg
108616351.jpg (415.4 KiB) Viewed 4287 times

woXh_37730062_302420460304747_4703870499229270016_n.jpg
woXh_37730062_302420460304747_4703870499229270016_n.jpg (554.71 KiB) Viewed 4287 times

v92WrDC.jpeg
v92WrDC.jpeg (250.22 KiB) Viewed 4287 times

Unfortunately this is the biggest decision of them all!! And I'm really not good at decisions (generally because 99% of them are wrong!! Lol

One other thought if I did stay black was some sort of livery, most have been done before like advan, etc, however I do like the look of the below with the red and gold, but may not work with the arches blocking the lines on the wings

FB_IMG_1627812572874.jpg
FB_IMG_1627812572874.jpg (451.94 KiB) Viewed 4287 times

FB_IMG_1620767673600.jpg
FB_IMG_1620767673600.jpg (563.08 KiB) Viewed 4287 times

FB_IMG_1620767683679.jpg
FB_IMG_1620767683679.jpg (560.65 KiB) Viewed 4287 times

:think: :think: :think:
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:23 am

Metallic black...give the correct look and uplift....
If you are stuck for confidence we are here to help and if needed to execute a good kick of motivation if needed.
We are always here if needed buddy.
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:47 pm

This looks like an outstanding project. Looking forward to following it. I’m with Mm I like the black especially with red.
EEFF9F60-E3E7-4F48-A5A2-2009834CC7DF.jpeg
EEFF9F60-E3E7-4F48-A5A2-2009834CC7DF.jpeg (564.97 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
FD9E9E4B-5F50-4DB9-B022-EEB60FDE75EC.jpeg
FD9E9E4B-5F50-4DB9-B022-EEB60FDE75EC.jpeg (509.63 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
my last daily :-D but the Porsche Grey is a great alternative.

Some serious work going into this I especially love the electrical parts, something that I’m rubbish at….

I just bought a turbo kit and am struggling at each point…. But I want to challenge myself so I’ll chip away at it.
:text-goodpost: :text-coolphotos:
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4699
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:11 pm

Really like it, the arches and bumpers are nice. Wide arches might be useful with the extra power from the turbo.

For the paint colour it your choice. The Porche grey looks good. Personally I think the Audi white from a few years ago (the one with the slight blue tint) would look very nice on an MX5

Great work!
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:49 pm

I'm with MM, red interior has to have a nice deep metallic black outer shell.

However, the wifes eco boost Fezza Titanium is in artic white with red flashing on the interior and it does look good.

Sure you'll work it out.
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)

graymattor
Regular

Postby graymattor » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:53 pm

Thanks All for your replies...

Colour wise, I think your all right, Black it is, may look for for an alternative to PZ but will go gloss/metallic black... I think I would regret a colour change, even though living with a black car will be awful (my daily is black!)

So yesterday I set to and attacked the rear subframe removal, it wasn't too bad bit on your own its tricky and my body knows about this morning!!!

Overall the subframe was pretty clean, but the suspension legs are really grotty! (2x rear lower wish bolts needed, had to take the blow torch and big hammer to them - ordered).. the under side of the body at the rear is pretty good, never been treated, but no surprise there (everywhere else has with some seriously thick and rubbery shultz (I think)) so while it's off I'll remove the surface rust, treat where necessary and probably shultz (or is there something better?)

Having had a good look underneath and a prod, it's all really solid, just one area that needs attention, however it's a mess where ppl have jacked in the wrong place, etc, but little to nothing I can do about that! The frame rails are battered and bruised, but I have skidnation frame rail stiffners to fit which will help...

Some photos

20211231_172211.jpg
20211231_172211.jpg (346.76 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

20211231_172200.jpg
20211231_172200.jpg (282.29 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

20211231_172152.jpg
20211231_172152.jpg (262.33 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

20211231_172143.jpg
20211231_172143.jpg (269.18 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

20211231_172136.jpg
20211231_172136.jpg (337.54 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

20211231_172126.jpg
20211231_172126.jpg (337.07 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

20211231_172105.jpg
20211231_172105.jpg (335.99 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

20211231_172052.jpg
20211231_172052.jpg (360.88 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

Next stage is to blast all parts, paint up with Eastwoods, Hammerite, galvanise spray, new bushes, strip and rebuild calipers, I think I'll redo the rear copper brake pipes as well

Questions.
1) what underseal and cavity protection do you recommend?
2) I guess while the diff is out I should also change the bushes, and probably the diff rubber washers, what do you recommend? IL Motorsport has been my go to because I didn't want stiff polly, the IL Motorsport seems a good middle of the road, but for the diff I'm not sure? Superpro heritage don't seem too badly priced? Thoughts?
3) what size copper pipe and fitting do I need for an MX?
4) any other jobs you recommend I should do while the rear is in bits?
Last edited by graymattor on Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:43 pm

Underseal wise, I use Shultz, cavity wax wise I was using Supertrol but after Mm's reccomendations changed to Sunox for the MX5.

Bushes, I would stick with what you know or even just standard, poly are good for track cars but a bit crashy for an everyday road car, well that's my opinion.

Copper brake pipe and fittings, no idea on the actual size, I just borrow from my mates garage (by borrow I mean acquire) even make them up there as he has all the tools.

Ready to read tomoorows update !!!
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)

Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:53 pm

Get the dinitrol on, as for the black have you look at the 2.5 black with a light dark purple sparkle , it looks flat until the sun hits it and it pops 28W, there is also 35N and 41W....you will be able to leave under the bonnet etc PZ and it will still look fine..I am painting the SU red MK1 soul red so the under bonnet etc can just stay red as is and will look fine...
M-m

graymattor
Regular

Postby graymattor » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:56 pm

blackyb wrote:Bushes, I would stick with what you know or even just standard, poly are good for track cars but a bit crashy for an everyday road car, well that's my opinion.

Ready to read tomoorows update !!!

I will admit i am not used to anything, it was only from some research that the IL Motorsport bushes were middle of the road, better and firmer than standard but not as firm as poly, which is what i am looking for from a ride point of view. The Diff is a little different, not sure if i should go poly with the possibility of extra power in the future, in the instance of the the cost, the IL Motorsport ones are quite a bit more expensive than superpro! which is surprising

No update today, however i have re-added the photos that weren't working lol!

Mazda Mender wrote:Get the dinitrol on, as for the black have you look at the 2.5 black with a light dark purple sparkle , it looks flat until the sun hits it and it pops 28W, there is also 35N and 41W....you will be able to leave under the bonnet etc PZ and it will still look fine..I am painting the SU red MK1 soul red so the under bonnet etc can just stay red as is and will look fine...
M-m

i do have a couple of tins of Dintrol with the extra long nozzles that i were going to use on the Mrs's car, but will use on my cavities, not sure if 2 tins will be enough! i was going to get a borescope to have a better look.. with shultz on the outside would you prime before (galvanising spray or red oxide, etc) then shultz?

Thanks for the colour tips, LOVE the 28w - Black Cherry Mica, what a great colour, almost a merlot! ive been looking at vids trying to work out if black or more purple, however purple with red interior doesnt look as bad as i thought it would!! going to look at it a lot more, its really different but has a wild side :cool: (i will also have a good look at the other colours as well, but i would like something with a twist) - on the fence, some look good some i am not sure! are there any Black Cherry Mica MX's on MM?

rb0dwJ2l.aU5mvea_T-(edit).jpg
rb0dwJ2l.aU5mvea_T-(edit).jpg (392.28 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

IMAG0176.jpg
IMAG0176.jpg (312.4 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

cd95bd201b37e1f06d6e3d270e152d2a.jpg
cd95bd201b37e1f06d6e3d270e152d2a.jpg (412.35 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

090411004.jpg
090411004.jpg (299.44 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

011.jpg
011.jpg (400.21 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3z75B4Ld/2005-mazda-mx-5-miata

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LQ2_Tm33u4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cmu8ojo5Cw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRAFxVzCimA
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:26 am

I have one that comes here, it's not a mad colour, it looks black until th sun hits it and bam,and with it being a OE coulor you are still in keeping, I am sure a shot a vid the last time it was here, I'll check, but it is a lovely colour .
If I remember right? After the last couple that came back from the paint shop ..the process is a base coat, then the sparkle, the a black clear coat to give death, that's way it pops in the sun...
The last I had done was a G ltd blue but pops purple and a late Sspec blue but pops green, same process oe correct colours, makes the shape and curse really stand out better.
M-m

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”