What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Clutch replacement

Sammyj
Just Run In

Clutch replacement

Postby Sammyj » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:05 pm

Afternoon all,
I'm looking for advice on a replacement clutch for Wink as the slipping is getting worse daily to the point it is almost dangerous, I was sat happily cruising on the A1 on Sunday in fifth about 3500RPM when an Audi came storming up behind me in the left lane and I had nowhere to go but to boot it so I didnt get rear ended. I put my foot to the floor and the clutch slipped like crazy and the engine span up to about 6k RPM. A change of underwear was needed, scary stuff! :oops:

For those that haven't read my newbie post, Wink is a 1.6 Eunos with nearly everything still the original from factory so I'm surprised the standard clutch has lasted 79k miles!
So after bringing forward the time frame of doing this horrible job I have been reading a bit into clutches for the '5 and the choice is overwhelming, especially for someone not so mechanically minded as myself :sad:
I don't want to go mad and spend a fortune on some stage 4, 3 puck clutch designed for racing but I equally don't want to skimp and buy a plate that will wear down in a year. I like the look of the FM happy meal kit but its a bit much ££ for my liking, will take a while to get here and I CBA replacing the flywheel when it doesn't need doing. I've had a look at mx5parts and their cheapy clutch doesnt inspire confidence. What do you guys run/suggest? Doesn't get driven super hard as it's my daily but I do enjoy the odd blast down a B road.

What else is generally replaced when doing the clutch other than the spigot bearing and rear crank seal?
Is it worth replacing the clutch slave as preventitive maintenance, or the line for a SS one?
A parts list of everything I may need would be nice :cool:

Last question and I'll stop being annoying... for today :lol: I have access to ramps, air tools and a fully stocked workshop courtesy of VW, but only 6 hours on a saturday morning to work on the car. As previously said, I'm not that mechanically minded but if I approach something methodically I can usually figure it out. From past experience, you guys reckon I'm being overly optimistic about the time frame here? The tech's will just laugh if I ask for help :mad:
Also, do the bolts on the bell housing generally get seized at all? every other bolt on the car has so far! :roll:

Thanks in advance chaps :handgestures-thumbup:
I seem to wing fixing my car and keep my fingers crossed!
Sammyj
Just Run In

Re: Clutch replacement

Postby Sammyj » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:12 pm

This has already taken a back seat lol
Water pump/ aux belt just snapped on me on the way home
This car is a love hate relationship
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:13 am

Ho the joys of motoring :laughing-rolling:

Are you doing the belt/pump? as for the clutch standard clutch kit is more than up to the job, release bearing,pilot bearing,rear crank seal, slave and clutch kit, speak to Andrew at Autolinkmx5 for your discounts on all parts with being a member on here buddy.
when you do the cam belt , and pump, don't forget rocker seal,CAS seal ,Cam seal and crank seal.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Sammyj
Just Run In

Postby Sammyj » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:58 am

Mazda Mender wrote:Ho the joys of motoring :laughing-rolling:

I'm just glad it happened less than a mile from home!
I intended to take it to Milton Keynes last week for a work course, that could have proved disastorous :shock:

As for the belt and pump, I shall be doing it myself.. nervous
Won't be until atleast Saturday afternoon when I can start to get cracking though, better get the parts ordered pronto!
Ironically when I bought the replacement springs from Andrew I did buy his timing belt kit when I knew less about these cars, which meant I didnt buy any of the required seals :evil: (hint for newbies like me there Andrew!!)
Whilst I'm at it, gonna drop an alloy rad in there, the orignal has seen better days and can't be doing too much cooling
Roll on the weekend and props to HSBC for the overdraft :handgestures-thumbup:
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:41 pm

For someone who says they have no spanner img skills fair play to you.... :bow-yellow: take some pics as you go if you can.....
Good luck... :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4699

Return to “MK1 -1989 > 1997 (NA)”