What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

bad misfire

GlennyGills

Re: bad misfire

Postby GlennyGills » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:15 pm

With the help of Percy Verance it managed swap the old coil pack off. So after changing coil pack,plug leads and spark plugs I still get some misfire around 1500 rpm when under load. :sad:
Not quite back to square one, but nearly.

BTW. If you use the aftermarket coil pack from Autolink, be aware that you can’t use a ring spanner on the driver side upper bolt
'96 Gleneagles MeisterR Coilovers - engine bling stainless mx5parts full exhaust
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:15 am

:sad: Well after much knuckle bashing I finally managed to get the oil coil pack off and replaced it with a new one and still some misfire. Does not last as long - but that was only one trip. so new coil pack, plugs and leads and still a misfire.

Keep looking.

Two points though
1. The under bonnet lights are a great bonus - definitely worth fitting I worked in the dark with the lights and forgot it was dark.
2. The Aftermarket 3 pin Mk1 1.8 Coil pack from Autolink has a minor niggle. The upper driver's side bolt needs an open end spanner as a ring won't fit.
'96 Gleneagles MeisterR Coilovers - engine bling stainless mx5parts full exhaust
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:12 pm

A misfire is miss spent fuel, so check the wires to the packs, connections, plugs and injectors, just an after thought but is your timing ok?
I know those lights are great, owners without them will never understand the ease and benefit they give, more should fit them..
as for the coil pack frame ,you should of swapped the new packs onto the old frame, thats what i would of done .
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:26 pm

I will see how it goes over the next few days. But yesterday after say 2 mins of struggling, it came alive and was perfect for the drive.
I will check the wires and see if there is a dirty contact.
I will check timing.

Thanks
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:52 pm

I put mthe MX5 Tech diagnostic tool on the car and tested the base revs and found they were around 425rpm, with the engine struggling. I corrected the base revs back to 850rpm and today I tested and got no misfire. I can’t check too much as the car has failed mot on emissions.
Currently awaiting parts to correct lambda issue.
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:46 pm

That MX Tech diagnostic is a must have for all early 5s with OBD1. Saves so much messing about and good to do a test once in a while to make sure alls ok.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:47 pm

Car passed the annual Cat convertor replacement test (MOT). I had to fit new Oxygen sensor and new cat convertor on and it is purring like a kitchen now. No misfire anymore.
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:09 pm

Alls good then for another year of miles with smiles
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:03 pm

Get the decat back on.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:04 pm

I am taking the car for a run today and then will test the oxygen sensor again. I want some confidence in the sensor. Definitely will be using it for those smiles.
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:23 pm

Well took the car for a long drive,got the engine up to temp. I then tried th MX5Tech oxygen test and got nothing even after running at more than 3000 rpm for3minutes and still nothing. I guess next thing is testn the wiring.
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Thu May 25, 2023 12:43 pm

So I have cured the misfire - I now believe that the issue was that the Base Idle was somehow set ridiculously low and the car would not idle under testing mode. Strangely once warm the idle was fine. I guess there is some kind of switch over that uses one idle for cold and perhaps the ECU then takes over.
Anyway setting the Base idle mode to around 850, the misfire has gone.

Return to “MK1 -1989 > 1997 (NA)”