What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Mk2 Suspension Rebuild to Standard Spec

drumtochty

Mk2 Suspension Rebuild to Standard Spec

Postby drumtochty » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:58 am

Friends 1998 MK2 IS is on standard suspension. No faults but the car has done 110,000 miles with one broken rear spring and no leaking shocks but they must be getting on. Parts will be on the expensive side to do all round.

Let's start

New shocks around £60 each for Mazda, say £45 each with VAT from Andrew for after market. What would you go for.

Springs, Mazda parts say £300 a set, Andrew has his built for £100 a set, I would tend to go for Andrews springs what are the panels thoughts.

Rubber parts.

Replace bump stops and gaiters or would you leave if looking OK.

There are rubber cushions top and bottom of springs, replace as you are in there, Y or N.

There is a cushion between the top hat and the body again do you replace as a matter of course.

Shock Absorber top and lower rubber bushes that are fitted with the curved washers two off replace, Y/N. If the washers are ok reuse, Y/N

I assume replace the top hats as the bearings will be past their best.

Nuts and bolts .

Assuming the bottom bolts come out without a fight, is there any reason to replace undamaged damaged lower bolts or the nuts at the top of the units.

:text-thankyouyellow:
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: Mk2 Suspension Rebuild to Standard Spec

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:07 pm

I would replace just the two rear springs. Everything else is ok to reuse...copper and red rubber grease in the correct places on re build ..all good.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks Wayne
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:09 pm

I'm with the man, just replace what you have to replace.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:22 am

An other Mk2 on the ramp.

If you replace all the whishbone bushes from Mazda via MX5 parts circa £480, same but IL Motorsport suspension bushes, according to MX5 parts and the Guys at Rowland Gill, stiffer but no loss of ride comfort.

Is it worth the extra for The Madza ones that have lasted over 20 years or are the cheaper ones as good.

Apart from some of the bushes looking tired at their ends is there any real way to test them prior to replacement.

Using an induction heater all bolts out without getting them red hot. Therefore no need to replace the bolts which you should do if the bolts get red hot.

Certain wishbones on the car have holes in them, so replace those whishbone and bushes.

Wayne has advised that not all will be worn but do you just replace them all if there is no real way to test them for wear.
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
graymattor
Regular

Postby graymattor » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:29 pm

I cannot really comment on the performance of the bushes, but i have seen the IL Motorsport ones as an 'upgrade' (there are also Mazdaspeed ones but they are more expensive, i assume the IL Motorsport ones are based on the Mazdaspeed ones)..

I have/am just upgrading all the bushes on my MX, i didn't want poly, hence why i went for the IL Motorsport ones, they seemed like a good middle of the road, not soft like standard but not hard like poly, i have also replaced my diff bushes and there was a certainly a visual difference between standard and IL Motorsport, so i am hoping that is was all worth while.

As for replacing bushes, when, etc i think if one had gone i would be inclined to replace with a set, for example if one of the upper arms had a failed bush i would replace the upper arm bushes on both side with you, IL MOtortor sport sell them as a set, (upper and lower), i guess they are like springs, i f one had broken i would replace the opposing one as well.

PS - shameful plug - if you are looking for some IL Motorsport Bushes i have a full set of front bushes (upper and lower arms, both sides) for sale, they are brand new in the boxes and plastic bags are unopened, i had to buy a full set to get just the rears! i would sell for £110 inc postage
S-Ltd - Ongoing project, far from standard!
J-Ltd - (Mrs's) - New project, staying standard (ish)
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:20 pm

Going over all the arms and bushes in detail on Sunday and Tuesday, give me a day or so I may well take you up on that offer
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:42 am

Greymattor,

Reading your post again I am confused. You first said that "
I have/am just upgrading all the bushes on my MX".

Therefore how do you have a complete set of front bushes spare?

eddie
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red

Return to “MK2/2.5 - 1998 > 2000/ 2001 > 2005 (NB)”