What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Get you Oil Pressure Gauge Working!

Shadgrind
Serial Poster

Get you Oil Pressure Gauge Working!

Postby Shadgrind » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:11 am

As most of us know the gauge in the Mk2 is rubbish, it just sits in one position.

How to fit Mk1 oil pressure gauge in Mk2

Firstly get hold of a Mk1 gauge and sender. Autolink has these..Image

and

Then you need a 1/8 npt to bsp adaptor. If your car is anything like mine the OEM oil cooler that the filter is screwed into has a pipe coming out of it at about the 10 o'clock position that means the large body of the sender cannot be screwed in as it gets in the way, besides this, the thread in the block is BSP. And the sender is NPT.

Put some sort of sealant on the threads just to make sure that it doesn't leak.

Then it's on to the gauge, you need to get the instrument binnacle out, take the top of the steering column shroud, it just clips off. Then pull back towards you on the surrounding cover of the binnacle. Once it's off, you can get to the four screws that hold the binnacle in. Remove them and then unscrew the three connectors. If like me you have any aftermarket stuff in the back of the panel, you can either remove it, or work around it. I did the latter.
Then you have to unclip the front of the panel, push down on the clips and pull back on the clear cover, remove the black plastic from the front of the dials, NOT just the clear cover!

Then go to the back of the panel and remove the three screws that hold the pressure gauge. Put it to one side. Then you, solder short lengths of wire about four inches, onto the three terminals on the back of the Mk1 gauge. After first unscrewing the long brass nuts.

Next, go back to the old gauge and butcher it a bit. Pull off the needle, unscrew the two black screws pull of the gauge face and the clear Perspex. Use the Perspex on the replacement gauge. You will have to modify it a bit to get the screw holes to line up, Dremmel time! I tried just drilling them bigger but it didn't really work.

You can then, solder the other ends of the three wires onto the correct places on the back of the instrument panel. It's fairly obvious but, caution they are not in the same position as the old gauge.

This image was pinched from the net! I actually pushed the individual wires through the screw holes rather than making a hole for all three! Looks better!

Once done, the tricky bit. You have to persuade the gauge to line up. I used the Perspex we just butchered. To help with this, so the gauge is lined up roughly sans needle and face it doesn't matter which way up it is as while the needle is off its just a "turney" spindle that rotates clockwise when it gets a charge!

So with the gauge loosely in and the Perspex in front of it, the fiddly bit. Put the face back on the gauge, it's a bit of a faff as the gauge moves around a bit! . Then, reconnect all the connectors. Start the car and push the needle back on with car running! Place it about a third up the scale.

Then give the throttle a blip.... IT MOVES! Towards the top hopefully, if not inspect you wiring!

If it goes too far then pull the needle off and try again, setting it slightly lower to start.

Then you'll have to tidy up the install, I used a combination of hot melt glue (glue gun if you have one, mine broke) and epoxy glue. Test fit the front of the panel at times to make sure it still goes on.

Sit back, have a beer! And a smoke, if you are a sad nicotine addict like me! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Last edited by Shadgrind on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mk4 Machine Grey 2.0 184BHP, SE-L + Nav and Apple Carplay
drumtochty

Re: Get you Oil Pressure Gauge Working!

Postby drumtochty » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:44 pm

Good work there. :text-goodpost: :text-coolphotos:
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire

Return to “MK2/2.5 - 1998 > 2000/ 2001 > 2005 (NB)”