What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Transmission noise and diff mounts

AleX-5
New

Transmission noise and diff mounts

Postby AleX-5 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:27 am

I've been trying to track down the source of some transmission noise for a while now and noticed something yesterday which may or may not point to the cause... When I jack the car up from the diff (with a wooden block to prevent damage) there's quite a lot of movement from the diff before the car moves. When the car is off the ground, the left hand wheel is 14mm higher than the right. Is this intentional to compensate for torque or do I need to replace the mounts?

Bit of info on the transmission noise that may or may not be related:
Noise only occurs under load
Noise occurs in any gear but changes with Road and engine speed
Sounds like a ticking at very low speed, a rattle at low ish speed, a buzz at medium speed and a hiss at high speed
Sound is particularly bad under 2000 rpm and may be worst in 4th but I'm not sure if I'm imagining that

I've changed the diff oil and couldn't see any metal in there. Car is a mk2 1.8 is with 51k on the clock.

Anyone know if the lopsided diff mounts are normal or have any advice on the noise?

Thanks,
Alex
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: Transmission noise and diff mounts

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:13 pm

The " higher on one side" sounds like at some point someone as fitted suspension wrong, as for the noise are you sure it is not a UJ or wheel bearing.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
AleX-5
New

Postby AleX-5 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:55 pm

I'm fairly sure the suspension has never been changed.
Not only is one wheel higher but the left hand sill is higher than the right when jacked up by the diff. When I'm putting axle stands under the sills there's a bigger gap on one than the other (yes the axle stands are the same size :p)

Noise could well be UJ. Any way to check this or check if it's a drive shaft or prop shaft? I would expect a wheel bearing to be noisy the whole time rather than just under engine load...
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Something doesn't sound right. When I do jack ours up by the diff (use a 3in1 scissor lift now) she goes up nice and square, as for the noise, as Mm says, sounds like something on the drive side off the transmission, get her up in the air and have a pull and push all the various components and see if there is any difference from one side to the other.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
AleX-5
New

Postby AleX-5 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:08 am

Thanks, I didn't think it seemed normal but it's helpful to know for sure. I'll take a look at the manual to see if I can find what's likely to have failed to allow the extra movement on the right hand side. My thinking is that this could be misaligning the gearbox and diff so putting extra strain on the prop shaft UJ. It's probably still not a very big angle though compared to what the drive shafts have to deal with.

I tried giving each driveshaft and propshaft a shake but nothing was obviously loose. Not a great deal of play in the diff either but I'm not entirely sure how much is normal. It does sound like there are some tiny metallic particles inside the propshaft but not enough to make significant noise. There's also a faint ticking noise from the gearbox if I rock the propshaft rotating one way then the other but again this could be normal.

Return to “MK2/2.5 - 1998 > 2000/ 2001 > 2005 (NB)”