What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Head work, Skim and simple porting.

BenF
Epic Poster

Re: Head work, Skim and simple porting.

Postby BenF » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Any idea on lifts mate? I can see they're a pair of 270's
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:13 pm

Yeh a fast road or stage 2 cam as they quote. No info on lift. I think personally maybe the 285 cam would have been better. But Best no forget this isn't an out and out track/race car, it still needs to behave well on the road for his Mrs to go to the shops in, or out for a picnic.

If I remember I'll get a dial gauge out.

The Orange beastie of my lads is running once again. Next is the ECU swap and suspension/brakes.

If anybody is going to have a go at porting you need lots of time and patience.
This video is also quite handy.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cXoxvkDOHE&list=LLAOwT-MMfyIeiG2cP-jpE4Q&index=2[/youtube]
Mk1 1.6 Turbo. Gaz shocks. Tr Lane roll bar.
Garage Owner, Lincolshire
Helper to the Scunny track day crew and North Linc's Track Day Club.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
BenF
Epic Poster

Postby BenF » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:05 pm

+1 and do lots of research first :-)
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:21 pm

Here we are Benf. The lift on the exhaust cam at least.

So that's both engines back together. :handgestures-thumbup:

Then it was time fro the lap top and the megasquirt. And everything was going so well ! :confusion-confused:
Plug and play my backside. On the bright side it's not my problem :-D It's my brothers :laughing-rolling:

He might be smiling now.

Once the computer stuff is working it's off to the rolling road for some figures.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
Pinky1984
Regular

Postby Pinky1984 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:55 am

Enjoying reading this on here. ahhh Megasquirt wasted a lot of my life fffing with ms on various cars
1989 Eunos Roadster

BenF
Epic Poster

Postby BenF » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:42 am

ah! I should pay more attention - they're re-grinds! Minimal meat off the base circle hence less lift than I was expecting. On the off-chance, do you know the lash limit of the stock HLA's? I'll be interested to see the curves those babies give :bow-yellow:
IMO I reckon you could run up to 10mm on a road car and still have good manners (big duration is what makes them snotty) although you'd need a closer eye on the build to make sure you don't foul the piston crowns, you'd probably want a non-stretchy rod, and non-interference would be a thing of the past.

Being a bit geeky :laughing-rolling: I find cams pretty interesting as you think you can predict them, but it rarely works out like that and you're on a knife-edge most of the time (easy to do not enough or go too far). From what I know so far I'd say 280's would be an absolute 'pop-to-the-shops' limit, being almost 40° over stock duration. As I expect you know a big part of selection is ramp angles which piper may quote? Being a bit of a loony myself I must confess I'm considering having another grind done for me by Cat. I was looking at around 295-310° & 13.5 although my gut feeling is to go with accepted wisdom in that 300+ is rally boys only; and the other little detail of having no idle and making the cam swap a requirement for MOT!
FWIW you've actually got more duration that my current pair there BTW :cool:
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:28 am

Apparently the 1996 ECU is an interim odd ball as mazda made a halfway house when introducing oebd2. This means the loom into the ECU is slightly odd and plug and play is harder. Normally you would cut the loom and re wire in.

But all credit to BLINK :handgestures-thumbup: They are sorting out this problem and specifically making a plug and play for this year. :bow-yellow: "Thanks Guys". :clap:
I know electronics are moving on from head and porting but I might as well keep going till we have figures and a feel for it on the road :handgestures-thumbup:
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:00 pm

I haven't been back to update this thread and how things worked out.

So My lads Orange one feels very nimble due to the weight savings he made. This along with some power gains to the engine make it quite a handy little car.
This is the rolling road print out from the mobile unit that was at the Blyton OC weekend. Very roughly up around 10/15bhp on standard.

This is it's first outing on track.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Vs90mTG_M&list=UUAOwT-MMfyIeiG2cP-jpE4Q[/youtube]

My brothers Green mk1 with fast road cams and megga squirt as well as head skim and porting made 152bhp at the flywheel.
This engine has now had a bottom end rebuild due to excessive oil consumption and a 4/2/1 exhaust. this might add another 5/10 bhp
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
BMB
New

Postby BMB » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:36 pm

What grit sand paper was used to do this and was it done using a dremel? Looks amazing!
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:52 am

Yes a dremel with the fibre drum for the majority. If you want to take out a large amount of material then a die grinder first but be careful with those. Once you are close to where you want to be I then finish with 180 wet and dry by hand.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk

Return to “MK1”