What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Head work, Skim and simple porting.

agent_orange
Epic Poster

Re: Head work, Skim and simple porting.

Postby agent_orange » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:55 pm

Great thread! :text-coolphotos:

What tool are you using to make the ports nice & smooth?
2003 Mk 2.5 Euphonic Velocity Red Sadly died of rust cancer
1999 Mk2 VS
1991 Mk1
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:59 pm

Well its like sculpting metal and patience is also a virtue ! It's a good job i think, but not perfect. With more time i could improve it but this is a freebie so i'm drawing a line. Up to now 6-7 hours just to port the inlets. A lot of the work is just smoothing out the rough finish. But i have removed some metal where the port bends up to the valve and also a bit joining the inlet manifold.

If I do any more heads i would invest in some better tools, but as it is anyone could do this :-D ish.

Dremel (clarke) with a flexi extension. Some burs and sanders.

also 180 grit production paper and my worn out fingers.

so far.

I've been asked to do someone elses head already. Not sure about that though. Time is money and i simply don't have much time.

Oh notice I've taken a small amount off the valve guides too.
Mk1 1.6 Turbo. Gaz shocks. Tr Lane roll bar.
Garage Owner, Lincolshire
Helper to the Scunny track day crew and North Linc's Track Day Club.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Been At it a while now.
The inlet and exhaust ports are now done. smoothed out and opened up a little. :-D

NEXT IS VALVE SHROUDING

Here you can see the valve seat and combustion chamber. To the left you can see a machined area. This edge of the combustion chamber is very close to the valve as it opens and closes. So close that air struggles to squeeze through the gap and into the engine. ( thats the theory)
So i'm going to attempt to open out this gap. Marking with the head gasket i will know how far to go when removing metal.

Chamber before work

Now Ive had a go at removing so metal that shrouds the valve.

A better idea of where the metal is removed.

You can see there is more room past the valve

I know it's lots of pictures of ports and valves but they tell a better story than words.
Please remember I'm not a profesional head porter, Ive gone with common sense. We Won't know if it's any good until it's been on the dyno.

Up to now it's had around 15 hours work and i've not done the valves yet. I could probably knock 3 hours off that on my second one. :handgestures-thumbup:
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:40 pm

Did you put it on the dyno for a benchmark before the work?
Jon - UK Mk1 1.6 1993 Classic Red

Check out my MX5 mods and tools:
http://www.binarypunk.co.uk
Need spares? Go to Autolink!
http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:26 am

Last time on the dyno it had 116bhp at the wheels I think (brothers car)

This will also get the blink/piper cam regrind and my brother is also getting their megasquirt and rolling road package. So as a whole we can see the comparison but not just the head alone.

I could get the head flow tested. But it is what it is, and a flow test would only be for curiosity and cost money that could go elsewhere. If I sold these then people would want figures I guess, but this is a freebie. :-D
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:32 am

nedski wrote:I could get the head flow tested. But it is what it is, and a flow test would only be for curiosity and cost money that could go elsewhere. If I sold these then people would want figures I guess, but this is a freebie. :-D

Freebie!!!!!

That beats mates rates by some margin....

Am fascinated by this.... Keep the pics coming.....
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4699
Badknee
Serial Poster

Postby Badknee » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:56 pm

I was talking to that bloke in pie land oop norf near me, forget his name but he does a bit of work on 5's now and then, Wayne I think they call him, anyway we were talking about just this type of thread.

I have been a member of different sites covering cars and bikes for ages but none of them have so much sensible information and friendly people as Mazda Menders, I would never take on a job like this one but seeing it in picture form is brilliant, thank you.

Wayne has suggested I do a how too thread on my up and coming service and fluid change, I think it will be more of a "don't do as I do" thread. :laughing-rolling:
Paul & Angela.
'93 1.8 in Super Silver
Fully blinged up (thanks M-m)
Lowered into the weeds hung on Gaz Gold Pro's.
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:02 pm

"Don't do as I do" lol that I can appreciate..... Been there..... :laughing-rolling:
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:51 pm

Only phone pics but i just click away. Glad you like it. I know a fair bit but i'm no expert in any particular field.
anyone can do a photo thread about anything i'm sure. Lot's of people find it better than watching the sh#tty tv we have nowadays.

Valves will be next on here. :handgestures-thumbup:
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
agent_orange
Epic Poster

Postby agent_orange » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:17 am

nedski wrote:Only phone pics but i just click away. Glad you like it. I know a fair bit but i'm no expert in any particular field.
anyone can do a photo thread about anything i'm sure. Lot's of people find it better than watching the sh#tty tv we have nowadays.

Valves will be next on here. :handgestures-thumbup:

Speaking of sh*tty tv, we are big on videos showing how things are done too [handgestures-thumbsup]
2003 Mk 2.5 Euphonic Velocity Red Sadly died of rust cancer
1999 Mk2 VS
1991 Mk1
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:16 pm

VALVES
Cleaning them up, and lapping them in.

They are fairly well coated in carbon/soot. I've simply stuck them in a pedestal drill, spun it up and rubbed them down with fine emery/wet dry. Being carefull not to go up the stem into the valve guide area if possible.
Before and after.

These are before and after of inlet and exhaust also. Notice the speckled slightly pitted valve seat that will be cleaned later when lapping in.

Exhaust

So now the carbon is cleaned off its time to lap them back onto the valve seat in the head for a good gas tight seal.

Tools. The grinding paste seems to be older than me. :-D probably form the steam engine era !

So the valve is spun against the valve seat with a grinding paste to clean both surfaces up and also to match them together. When they are done there will be a smooth matt grey area with no pits or marks.
Oh when I cleaned them I also just smoothed some sharp edges either side of the seat area.

Notice the now clean grey matt band where the seat touches.

Also the seats in the head are a clean matt grey instead of that shiny chrome finish.

Before shiny chrome seats.

After with clean fresh matt finished seats.

These are now all done and ready to be installed back into the cylinder head.
I guess we have reached the corner where things get put back together. :handgestures-thumbup:

Now for your delight and delectation a video :eek:
Lapping in a valve.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZMv_mN1ZaY[/youtube]
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:19 pm

:bow-yellow: :handgestures-thumbup: :coffee:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Badknee
Serial Poster

Postby Badknee » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:01 pm

:text-thankyouyellow: :text-coolphotos:
Paul & Angela.
'93 1.8 in Super Silver
Fully blinged up (thanks M-m)
Lowered into the weeds hung on Gaz Gold Pro's.
Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:04 am

That is tv worth watching..... That takes more than a bit of knowledge. Keep them coming. The engine is going to be like new. :clap:
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Getting there slowly
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:13 am

I remember doing that on my old mini's A-Series. Now that was rewarding porting and skimming...must have got a good 10% uplift just with a dremel and some sweat!
Jon - UK Mk1 1.6 1993 Classic Red

Check out my MX5 mods and tools:
http://www.binarypunk.co.uk
Need spares? Go to Autolink!
http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/

Return to “MK1”