What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Rear high intensity lamp

chadz
Regular

Rear high intensity lamp

Postby chadz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:10 am

Hi Guys, Well it's MOT time again and I am determined this year not to have the same old argument/discussion regarding the rear high intensity lamp (sometimes mistakenly called the rear fog light). The importer from whom I bought the car did the usual conversion of the offside reversing light and put a bulb in that had been stained red 'ish'.
The MOT stations around me do not like this set up and always moan about the colour. I've even stained the outside lens cover using a red permanent marker but this dual attempt to make a reversing light into a high intensity lamp is never going to 'cut the mustard', not around here anyway.
So how do I get around this problem. What have others done? I have bought an aftermarket lamp and I intend taking a power supply from the previous conversion that has a switch already installed.
But how do you install it to meet the reg's? No lower than 250mm or higher than 1000mm and not nearer than 250mm from any brake light. The back of the car is just pliable fibre glass and is curved.
Anybody fitted one of these aftermarket lamps? Any advice much appreciated. I fancy locating it to the offside rather than slap bang in the middle.

Chadz :text-thankyouyellow: :confusion-confused:
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Re: Rear high intensity lamp

Postby The Captain » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:53 am

Just buy a high intensity bulb
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:19 am

Which Mk is it?
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:22 am

Must be Mk1. Mk2 onwards has the fog high intensity light built into the light clusters.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
chadz
Regular

Postby chadz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Mk 2 eunos. Had two reversing lights one of which was converted by the importer to a (pinkish useless glow) doubling up for a high intensity lamp for extremely poor visibility conditions. Never fitted with a proper HIL. Stained red bulbs do not a HIL make!
Could use some advice from somebody that has mounted one of these aftermarket lamps on the 'flimsy bumper' in accordance with the measurements quoted in my opening submission.

Chadz :confusion-confused:
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:58 pm

Why mount a horrible looking lamp on the bumper, when all you need to do is buy a fog light bulb and replace the painted one you currently have.
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:18 pm

There is no Mk2 Eunos. If its a Mk2 JDM then I'll be a Mk2 Mazda Roadster :wink:
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Lazza wrote:There is no Mk2 Eunos. If its a Mk2 JDM then I'll be a Mk2 Mazda Roadster :wink:

Which will have had the conversion, so all it needs is a bulb. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulb-12v-21w- ... 5d465f3369
chadz
Regular

Postby chadz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:56 pm

Not sure what you mean by putting a high intensity bulb in place of the reddish one, all that will do is give a very bright WHITE light to the rear doh! :???: As for the model of car I have all I can say is it's not an MX5 or a Miata so by elimination it must be a Eunos. It isn't a Mk1/2.5/3 so by elimination it must be a Mk2. Add them both together and that gives a Eunos Mk2 :angry-tappingfoot:
Please read my original posting. Their is no facility for simply replacing the bulb with a 21w white bulb to give a rear high intensity lamp (fog or otherwise).

Chadz :violin:
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:05 pm

Put a red bulb in.

What you have is a MK2 Roadster, the same as I have, not badged an MX5 but neither is it badged a Eunos, there was no MK2 Eunos, its a Roadster. The link I added is for a red bulb, so that will undoubtedly glow red.
chadz
Regular

Postby chadz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Already got one of those and it is the cause of endless debate from the MOT testing fraternity. They just do not like the output, especially the colour. How do these bulbs manage to get a clean bill of health?
I do appreciate the concept of coloured bulbs as in indicators etc that seem to work ok but for some reason the red ones are pretty useless.
As my car was produced for the home market it is without doubt a Eunos. Perhaps Mazda decided to badge cars Mazda roadster to enhance home sales.
'A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME' blah blah blah. It matters not one jot what they are, Eunos/mx5/miata. Apart from the badge they are all the same give or take a few bits and bobs. The cars imported from Japan (so called grey imports) usually are to a higher spec than other imports made for the uk market.

Chadz :handgestures-thumbup:
Last edited by chadz on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:30 pm

If she is a MK 2 Roadster, why not just fit a UK spec drivers rear cluster with the red fog lamp in it, job done no pinkish glow? and no more moaning about pi**ing rear fog lamps and MOT's, job done.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Doogledog

Postby Doogledog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:58 pm

Id agree with Waynes plan and just use a UK cluster
Former owne of Eunos Roadster VR-Ltd comb B - lots of mods
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:36 am

The other option is to get an LED fog light bulb, easy to find on eBay.

Sorry to argue, your car is still not a Eunos.
chadz
Regular

Postby chadz » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:12 am

Wayne that's the best advice yet. Thanks. I have the wiring already to go so providing I can get a cluster and it fits ok then that should solve the annual debate.

Chadz :text-goodpost: :text-thankyouyellow:

Return to “MK2”