What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Plastidip

Tell us what you have done or want to do, or any problems you have hit that we can help you with
steffydog
Serial Poster

Plastidip

Postby steffydog » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:13 pm

Not sure how many of you have used this stuff, but it's the latest thing...rattle cans or liquid. Basically its a spray on/easy peel off plastic covering...lots of clips on YT..

So, I thought id give a rattle can a go...£19 delivered, and I also bought a rattle can spray gun, gives a nice even spray and costs about £5, obviously you can re-use the gun on almost any rattle can.

My reason for buying was that my car had a horrid shiny chrome surround on the radio and gear selector, I removed and sold these on, not my bag!

Problem was that the sticky back part of the chrome took the lacquer off of my radio and gear surrounds, doh! so its been nagging me for a while, do I replace, £30 odd try Plastidip.......

I'm rubbish at DIY and stuff, but thought its not the end of the world and at the worst was I can peel it of or replace the bits for £30 odd

Mark can be seen on right of radio

First step was to remove the surround and the heated seats switches etc, cigar lighter came apart too:

Ready for spraying in the garden, in the shade, good rattle on can, very light first coat

After 2 coats

After the final 4th coat

Gave it a few hours to dry, (20 mins between coats on a warm day worked for me), then popped it all back together

As you can see the marks have been covered, and its left a rather nice finish, almost sparkly, orange-peel effect, i'm a happy bunny!

I'm going to do a few other parts, as soon as I can get them off, as i've got loads left in the tin....I hope!

Lots of colours available btw, so wheels etc or anything you want....
MX-5 1.8 S-VT Sport 1.8 2002/02 Finished in Starlight Silver with matching hardtop

I'm learning.........Slowly!
BenF
Epic Poster

Re: Plastidip

Postby BenF » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Never used the stuff, but have seen whole cars painted with it! Good job on the write up too mate :coffee:
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Cheers, it covers the marks really well, ill try and get a better picture tomorrow.

My next task are these green things:

And I think I'll do those hard top catches too.
MX-5 1.8 S-VT Sport 1.8 2002/02 Finished in Starlight Silver with matching hardtop

Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:58 pm

:handgestures-thumbup:
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4699
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Good write up :handgestures-thumbup: :pray: :clap: :coffee: , but it is not new on the market and as been around for a long time now in god knows how many colours, easiest place to get some has they will have the full range and under coats is B&Q if you want them quicker :handgestures-thumbup:
It is very friendly paint, i think paggers did his hard top a couple of weeks back with the stuff,i have used it for many years to refurb the Mk 1 V.S dashes.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Good write up :handgestures-thumbup: well done
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
al_p

Postby al_p » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:01 am

seen plasticote which is 1pak for plastics in b&q never seen plastidip which is like a rubbery type paint if your sure its plasti dip thats great :)
I remember the days when ‘Blue Ray’ was an elderly gentleman who drowned in our local swimming pool.
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:55 am

al_p wrote:seen plasticote which is 1pak for plastics in b&q never seen plastidip which is like a rubbery type paint if your sure its plasti dip thats great :)

Thanks, I thought it was just me :)

Note to ones self, stick up for yourself more.

steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:56 am

This is how they came out:

I did the roof lathes too:

Tangoman
Serial Poster

Postby Tangoman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:11 am

Looking good!
Image Image

1991 Asbo orange 1.6 Eunos Roadster T-Spec
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:15 am

Tangoman wrote:Looking good!

Thank you Tango :)

paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:24 am

Looks good. May have to try some of this stuff myself.
Niall

1997 1.8i Roadster in Black
- Induction kit, Stainless Exhaust System, Lowered Springs
1998 1.8i S MX-5 in Silver
- Under restoration

Also into taking a few pictures - check out my website.
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:01 am

It's cheaper now. £15.30 a can on eBay, less per can if you want more cans.

al_p

Postby al_p » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:41 pm

i like that plasti dip idea the american scene is addicted to it :)
I remember the days when ‘Blue Ray’ was an elderly gentleman who drowned in our local swimming pool.
RichW
Just Run In

Postby RichW » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:22 am

Looking good - how durable does it feel?

I've seen wheels done in it - would it be suitable do you think??
Grew up on fast cars and bikes, bought a house and there it ended! GSXR 750 k5 and a Silver 2.0 Sport - both summer toys and long may the fun continue!

Return to “Your mods”