What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Jacking points for Hydraulic jack and Axle stands

Anything goes in here.. within reason
steffydog
Serial Poster

Jacking points for Hydraulic jack and Axle stands

Postby steffydog » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:50 pm

As above, I've got a 2002 Mk2.5 and I'm not sure where to safely jack from, and place my axle stands, front or rear.

I will try and take some images tomorrow of the underside, as technical names won't mean a lot to me. Unless anyone has some nice underside images and can pop some lettering arrows etc....That's what I need tbh. I'm aware of the scissor positions now, thanks to you guys, but i've now invested in the above.

Linky Low profile jack for car and bike.
MX-5 1.8 S-VT Sport 1.8 2002/02 Finished in Starlight Silver with matching hardtop

I'm learning.........Slowly!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: Jacking points for Hydraulic jack and Axle stands

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:46 am

Don't know about arrows, but i might be able to manage a pointy finger.
I'll do one on sunday with pics to follow.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:37 pm

When I get around to doing the full service on my car (also a Mk2.5 Sport) I'll take loads of pictures including the jacking and axle stand points I use. Don't hold your breath though, I'm notoriously bad at getting around to doing any real work on my own car :whistle:
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:11 pm

That's fair enough, thanks. Ill look on net for a good underside shot in the meantime :)
MX-5 1.8 S-VT Sport 1.8 2002/02 Finished in Starlight Silver with matching hardtop

paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:23 pm

The picture below shows the underneath of my Mk2 at the front. The engine under-tray has been removed obviously. If you look in the middle, just below/behind those rusty pipes, you will see a horizontal piece of metal with large round holes in it. This is the front subframe. It supports the engine and is connected to the front chassis rails so it is by far the best place to jack your car at the front. As your engine under-tray is likely still in place it's even easier to find - it's just behind the back edge of the plastic tray.

The picture below is under the back of the car. In the middle you can see two bolt heads close together - they are through a light grey metal section which is the 'Power Plant Frame' (PPF) which connects the differential to the gearbox. I tend to stick the jack under those two bolts as that's a fairly solid point. Some people jack under the differential itself but as the back section is aluminium that is something I avoid just to be safe.

Regarding axle stands, I use the regular jacking points but as you can see from the picture below I place a piece of 50x25mm wood across the jacking point and then place the axle stand under that. This way I avoid the risk of the axle stand damaging the underside of the car.

I hope this helps - sorry I wasn't able to draw any arrows on but hopefully my description is clear enough. If not just say so and I'll try to be more precise.
Niall

1997 1.8i Roadster in Black
- Induction kit, Stainless Exhaust System, Lowered Springs
1998 1.8i S MX-5 in Silver
- Under restoration

Also into taking a few pictures - check out my website.
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Thanks, ill try and get my head around that cheers.

RichW
Just Run In

Postby RichW » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:04 am

Theres some good photos here ---> http://www.billswebspace.com/Raise_Your_Miata.pdf

I like the idea of using the wooden blocks too that paggers has - i was wondering how i could utilize the axle stands i have and thats just the ticket :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Grew up on fast cars and bikes, bought a house and there it ended! GSXR 750 k5 and a Silver 2.0 Sport - both summer toys and long may the fun continue!

paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:10 am

I also have a section of fence post (never measured it but it's probably 100mm square) about 1/2 meter long that I use to give me extra jacking height where I need to raise the axle stands higher. I just stick it on top of the jack pad and under either the front or rear jacking points that I described earlier. That usually gives me the extra lift I need to get my axle stands up to full height. (Obviously I jack the car normally, installing the axle stands at a lower height, then use the piece of wood to lift a bit further and raise the axle stands.)
Niall

- Under restoration

steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:07 am

So your saying:
1. Jack up
2. Pop axle stands under
3, Drop jack a bit and pop a piece of wood on top of jack
4. Jack up the extra height
5. Lift axle stands a bit higher

Is that correct?

I guess you could pop a piece of wood under the jack, same result?

paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:52 am

Yes you have got it right. However, sticking the wood under the jack is not ideal as when you lift the car the jack needs to be able to roll forward slightly to allow for movement of the arm (you will see what I mean when you try it). So if works much better if you just stick the block of wood on top of the lifting pad.
Niall

- Under restoration

Yolo
Epic Poster

Postby Yolo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:55 pm

RichW wrote:Theres some good photos here ---> http://www.billswebspace.com/Raise_Your_Miata.pdf

I like the idea of using the wooden blocks too that paggers has - i was wondering how i could utilize the axle stands i have and thats just the ticket :obscene-drinkingcheers:

I like this. It really help explain things. Thx guys. :text-thankyouyellow:
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4699
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:08 pm

Spot on /good find :text-goodpost:
But that roadster is in standard form and looks high,some will struggle with being lowered, i have made some wooden block ramps for that reason, plus not all the roadster are solid in that area, i will show another way to get her up and hold her.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
RichW
Just Run In

Postby RichW » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:08 am

mazda-mender wrote: plus not all the roadster are solid in that area, i will show another way to get her up and hold her.
M-m

All my past cars i've just jacked them up and put the axle stands under the box section, surprised to hear they will bend on the MX. Is that the case with the NC too? Its a stiffer chassis than the previous models after all??
Grew up on fast cars and bikes, bought a house and there it ended! GSXR 750 k5 and a Silver 2.0 Sport - both summer toys and long may the fun continue!

Tangoman
Serial Poster

Postby Tangoman » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:20 am

The chassis rails on the MX5 aren't structural and are made of cheese! However either end of the rails are double skinned and you can place your axle stands here, the alternative would be to buy some of Jass Performance's stainless steel chassis rails and fit them, then you can jack, place your axle stands any where aping the lengh of the rails!
Image Image

1991 Asbo orange 1.6 Eunos Roadster T-Spec
steffydog
Serial Poster

Postby steffydog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:14 pm

Just so i'm clear i've popped some coloured parts on the images, I know its trivial, but im unsure, and I don't want to die rather than ask!

Front:
I need to jack on the Orange line, can I jack on the Orange stars or the arrows?
What about the blue?

Rear:
I need to jack on the two nuts in the Orange square?
What about the Black or Blue stars?

Axle stands:
If I don't have wood, can I go lengthways where the Black rectangle is? and how do I do this if the jack is there? or do I jack from back or front now, not the side, jees im so dim on cars, sorry guys, ask once, don't wanna die or damage my car..... :confusion-confused:

Return to “General chat and banter”