What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Help :(

Anything goes in here.. within reason
azzeer
Regular

Help :(

Postby azzeer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:05 pm

Struggling on getting the drive shafts out either end :(
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Re: Help :(

Postby flea » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:12 pm

One end is just the four nuts & bolts but the hub end is a whole new ball game & ain't that easy. Why are you trying to remove the hub end?
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
azzeer
Regular

Postby azzeer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:35 pm

azzeer
Regular

Postby azzeer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:36 pm

That's the diff end , want to get the diff out
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Oh its a different one than i thought.
You'll need to undo the top hub bolt & the bottom one then it will pull out
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
Tangoman
Serial Poster

Postby Tangoman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:37 pm

You can get the drive shaft out with a pry bar, but make sure you drain the oil first!
Image Image

1991 Asbo orange 1.6 Eunos Roadster T-Spec
azzeer
Regular

Postby azzeer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:31 pm

Thank you , next problem now :( Image
azzeer
Regular

Postby azzeer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:32 pm

The diff Dosnt want to slide out the support :(
paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:59 pm

As it so happens I just took the differential out of my car today so hopefully I can help...

When you say the 'support' do you mean the aluminium 'Power Plant Frame' (PPF) that connects the differential to the gearbox or do you mean the bolts that secure the differential to the subframe?

Both of these have their own little quirks as follows.

The PPF is secured at the back by two bolts and at the front by three bolts. To remove it start by supporting the PPF somewhere in the middle, as otherwise the whole weight of the PPF will be pulling down on your gearbox (not good). Remove the two rearmost bolts that hold the PPF to the gearbox and loosen the front one to allow the PPF to pivot. Then remove the two bolts that secure the PPF to the differential. Now you might think that's all she wrote but oh no, it's much more complicated than that. Firstly the forward of the two bolts has a collar that needs to be removed. There are two flats on it but I find that a hammer and chisel is the way to go - just make sure you don't damage it.

Reach up over the top and you will feel two domed 'nuts' that the bolts thread through. These 'nuts' are actually collars similar to the ones you removed at the bottom, expect they have splines and are pressed into the top of the PPF/differential. You can't separate the two until these are removed. You need to grease up the bolts then wind them back in. Wind the bolts in until the ends are are flush with the top of the 'nuts'. Now hit the end of the bolt with a hammer until the collars pop out then remove the bolts and the collars. This is what you should end up with.

The metal piece at the bottom is what the splines go into but you can't remove it until the PPF is off the differential as there is another collar between the two. But now that you have removed the bolts and collars you should be able to hammer the PPF sideways to release the differential. You may have to remove the plastic cover for the fuel filter - I had to as the PPF got caught on it.

With that done you need to separate the differential from the rear subframe. It might look like you do this by removing the two 17mm nuts, one on either side, and you do indeed need to remove those but you also need to remove the four 14mm nuts, two on each side, so that you can remove the differential bushes. Obviously MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A JACK UNDER THE DIFFERENTIAL before you start removing any of these nuts.

The two differential bushes look like this (hopefully yours are in better condition).

Once you have removed the bushes you can gently lower the differential. It will probably catch on the PPF at various points and it's going to try to fall off the jack at every opportunity. I strongly recommend getting an assistant to lower the jack while you reach in through the O/S wheel arch and guide the thing.

That should be it - hope the description helps.
Niall

1997 1.8i Roadster in Black
- Induction kit, Stainless Exhaust System, Lowered Springs
1998 1.8i S MX-5 in Silver
- Under restoration

Also into taking a few pictures - check out my website.
azzeer
Regular

Postby azzeer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Thank you so much , it's finally off now but with a mistake ImageImageImage
paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Ouch. I'm guessing that's because you hammered the PPF off without removing the collars at the top? I don't know if that can be welded but given that the PPF connection to the differential is important to the overall stability and handling of the car I wouldn't personally want to put it back together like that.

But then I'm not exactly an expert so let's wait and see what the others say.
Niall

- Under restoration

azzeer
Regular

Postby azzeer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Yeah that must of happens when I thought it was stuck :(
paggers
Serial Poster

Postby paggers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:43 pm

azzeer wrote:Yeah that must of happens when I thought it was stuck :(

The moral of the story is when you are stuck don't resort to BFI, instead give Wayne a call and he will tell you how to fix it. I have been on the phone to him at least twice this weekend with different issues.
Niall

- Under restoration

azzeer
Regular

Postby azzeer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:00 pm

paggers wrote:
azzeer wrote:Yeah that must of happens when I thought it was stuck :(

The moral of the story is when you are stuck don't resort to BFI, instead give Wayne a call and he will tell you how to fix it. I have been on the phone to him at least twice this weekend with different issues.

:) lesson learnt , yeah deffo will next time :coffee: thank you

Return to “General chat and banter”