What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
********We would like to take a moment of your time in thanking everyone that as helped us keep this forum going, from donations, sponsorship, hands on help and all the members that have used us, as it was built to help follow owners keep their passion on the roads, as we step into 2020 we hope all your hopes and dreams come true, we need to heart felt thank the owners that have given donations to help us carry on already so early into the new year and believing in what we are trying to do for everyone , it is also with great pride we thank AUTOLINKMX5 Mr Andrew Stott for sponsoring us again for this year, Andrew is not only a business but a very passionate petrol head and is always there to help fellow members in need regardless, the monthly discount code is always updated every end of the month with a fresh code so jump on getting it cheaper from us and Andrew , looking into this year we are hoping to arrange mazdamenders tech days/weekends this year to become the norm to meet and get our hands dirty all together, drive her like you stole her and weld that smile in place. *********
The mazdamenders team

Mk2 2000 Cranks but wont start.

Got a problem, need some advice ?
Get in here and ask the pros. There will always be one to bring you the correct answer, quickly.
Please bare in mind advice offered by some may not be correct. Pay attention to user ratings and status for a better idea on their knowledge.
Kohen

Mk2 2000 Cranks but wont start.

Postby Kohen » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Hi guys, long time listener first time caller.

So my car usually starts fine, but currently cranks but wont start.

It has always had a unstable cold idle since I got it a couple of years ago. I've tried a bunch of stuff to fix that to no avail.

last weekend i was doing some stuff with a spare iac I have trying to plug it in to the loom whilst i started the car so i could see if it was working. Anyway I'm sure it started fine after id put everything back together. But now it won't start so i may have buggered something. It cranks and gives a slight burble but no running. I have checked that it has spark and I can smell fuel. I'm wondering if is possible it could be an immobiliser thing? or if perhaps in messing around with my intake sensor bits if the Cam position sensor has died. This was on my list of things to try and change for the cold idle problem so I have already ordered a cheap one from mx5 parts.

Some additional information, I have recently swapped the coil pack, for a new cheap one also from mx5 parts. This made an improvement to how the car ran.

I also swapped the 02 sensor but haven't been able to test that properly ( due to the no start thing) so swapped back to the original. I don't think that this is causing the no start though...

There doesn't appear to be any codes. I pulled up the passenger carpet and didn't see any obvious moisture but may need a more thorough look.

I have looked over the fuses and cant see any obvious problems.

I have one of these http://www.mx5tech.co.uk/ diagnostic tools. That is what i have been using to read the codes. You can use it to turn on the fuel pump and i can hear it priming in the engine bay when i do so, so yeah pretty sure it has fuel.

I haven't touched the crank angle sensor.

Anyway apologies for the ramble. Suggestions would be great; but equally if you have any recommendations of a good mobile auto electrician or anyone else who could help me in north London, i'm based in Loughton.

Thanks very much,

Kohen
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: Mk2 2000 Cranks but wont start.

Postby Mazda Mender » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:32 pm

Evening Kohen
What mark, engine size, Jap import or uk mx5, is she standard or upgraded, is Mx5techs code reader giving you nothing?
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 being rebuilt,
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 (claimed by daughter)
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ...being rebuilt

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
blackyb

Re: Mk2 2000 Cranks but wont start.

Postby blackyb » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:32 pm

Welcome , better late than never or so they say.

I am into Hondas but the two wheeled versions that said I always wanted an S2000 but got an MX and the bug bit me.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (Why did I sell it - cos the wife said so!!!!)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!

Return to “Problems”