What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Turret Oil Replaement

Got a problem, need some advice ?
Get in here and ask the pros. There will always be one to bring you the correct answer, quickly.
Please bare in mind advice offered by some may not be correct. Pay attention to user ratings and status for a better idea on their knowledge.
Gary Beale
Just Run In

Turret Oil Replaement

Postby Gary Beale » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi all
I want to change the turret oil (shifter) do I use the same gearbox oil?
1991 Mariner Blue. Rear Spoiler, L.E.D Sidelights, Lexus Rear Lights, Hard Top, Style Bars, Flash to Pass, K&N Air Filter, Magnacor 8mm HT Leads, Strut Brace, SS Exhaust, Decat, LED running lights, Front Splitter, Deep Dish MOMO Steering Wheel.
Lazza
Site Admin

Re: Turret Oil Replaement

Postby Lazza » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Use any oil you have spare. Gear oil, engine oil, olive oil... It doesn't mix with the gearbox oil and only has to lubricate the linkage, not meshing gears so there is no requirement for anything special.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:06 pm

:text-imwithstupid:
Mk1 1.6 Turbo. Gaz shocks. Tr Lane roll bar.
Garage Owner, Lincolshire
Helper to the Scunny track day crew and North Linc's Track Day Club.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Lazza wrote:Use any oil you have spare. Gear oil, engine oil, olive oil... It doesn't mix with the gearbox oil and only has to lubricate the linkage, not meshing gears so there is no requirement for anything special.

:text-goodpost: :text-imwithstupid: :handgestures-thumbup:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Gary Beale
Just Run In

Postby Gary Beale » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks for the help.
1991 Mariner Blue. Rear Spoiler, L.E.D Sidelights, Lexus Rear Lights, Hard Top, Style Bars, Flash to Pass, K&N Air Filter, Magnacor 8mm HT Leads, Strut Brace, SS Exhaust, Decat, LED running lights, Front Splitter, Deep Dish MOMO Steering Wheel.
renagade
New

Postby renagade » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:03 pm

How do I get to my Turret to oil it. My gear stick is a little stiff. :think:
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:33 pm

Take the centre arm rest out, remove the upper gearshaft boot 4 x 10mm bolts lift it up and you will see the lower gearshaft boot held in place with 3 x 10mm bolts, remove those and lift the gear shaft out, but some oil in and fit everything back up, all this is under the case of your boots being in good condition and can be reused? check the boots first before doing this so you can order them in if needed.
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
andymaxwell
Just Run In

Postby andymaxwell » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:33 am

Good information here.

NOTE: If you have a 6-speed gear box you won't have the 'turret' to put the oil into. You'll just be pouring oil into your gearbox and wondering why 85cc of oil won't fill it up. DONT add an extra litre of oil like I did (although Mazda did say it wouldn't cause huge problems).
------------
1998 Mk2 1.8 6-speed Jap RS
See a Picture
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:09 pm

andymaxwell wrote:Good information here.

NOTE: If you have a 6-speed gear box you won't have the 'turret' to put the oil into. You'll just be pouring oil into your gearbox and wondering why 85cc of oil won't fill it up. DONT add an extra litre of oil like I did (although Mazda did say it wouldn't cause huge problems).

:laughing-rolling: sorry but good point :handgestures-thumbup:
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:44 am

NOTE:-....it is not just the six speed.
M-m

andymaxwell
Just Run In

Postby andymaxwell » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:

NOTE:-....it is not just the six speed.
M-m

Ah, interesting Mr Bond. :bow-yellow: Which other boxes are we talking here? :think:
------------
1998 Mk2 1.8 6-speed Jap RS
See a Picture
71notout
Regular

Postby 71notout » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:44 pm

I bought a turkey baster for £1 from Morrisons (other supermarkets are available) which made removal of the old oil and insertion of the new stuff much easier.

I also needed to fit the upper/lower boots and nylon ball on bottom of gearstick - I bought a refurbished kit from mx5parts.
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:12 am

Mazda Mender wrote:Take the centre arm rest out, remove the upper gearshaft boot 4 x 10mm bolts lift it up and you will see the lower gearshaft boot held in place with 3 x 10mm bolts, remove those and lift the gear shaft out, but some oil in and fit everything back up, all this is under the case of your boots being in good condition and can be reused? check the boots first before doing this so you can order them in if needed.
M-m

A rebuild kit and new boots should definitely be considered. Also if we choose to go by the book, we must use 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil in the turret.

I took this opportunity to fit a short shifter, new boots & a rebuild kit from MOSS Europe.
Screenshot_2016-03-25-01-07-01.png
Screenshot_2016-03-25-01-07-01.png (593.08 KiB) Viewed 26216 times
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:21 pm

<Also if we choose to go by the book, we must use 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil in the turret.>

Which book specificaly staets that.
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:47 pm

drumtochty wrote:Which book specificaly staets that.

By that i meant we use leftover transmission oil (turret is technically a transmission component). Yes i know any lubricant could be used as there is almost no friction/wear here but GL4 (75W90) is thick and the viscosity is barely affected by temperature change, which means the gear selection always feels the same.
20141114_140331.jpg
20141114_140331.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 26207 times
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!

Return to “Problems”