What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Mk 4 with lifeless steering

Got a problem, need some advice ?
Get in here and ask the pros. There will always be one to bring you the correct answer, quickly.
Please bare in mind advice offered by some may not be correct. Pay attention to user ratings and status for a better idea on their knowledge.
Lazza
Site Admin

Re: Mk 4 with lifeless steering

Postby Lazza » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:34 pm

Way back in 98 I bought my first 5, a Mk1 1.8i Berkeley. I had to have the alignment done after a couple of months because, although it was fine in a straight line, it turned sharply left but very heavy right. Turns out I had negative camber one side and positive the other.
I was told that whether a new car gets a full alignment before sale (as it should according to their own check list) depends on whether the dealer has the equipment or not. Most don’t. I doubt it’s changed that much.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:55 am

Agreed ...never trust a car from anywhere...take her to a good place with alignment equipment that know what they are doing...get the fast road motorway settings on her and you will fell a major improvement.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
F1 10AE

Re: RE: Re: Mk 4 with lifeless steering

Postby F1 10AE » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:They spent a lot of cash trying to get the electric steering to feel like the MK1's fluid steering, and to be fair when i test drove one it is not bad, there was a couple of things i would of designed different with the roadster, but other than that they have not done bad with the feel and position, the only major worry of mine was the underneath and box sections,,there is a lot of plastic under there and once removed there is a lot of pressed holes on the sections to save weight but are also water traps.
If you are thinking of keeping her for some time to come ? then invest in get her fully protected, sooner than later.
M-m
Totally agree Wayne but rather than considering future proof protection just if it's going to be a keeper for some time I would say for the benefit of any future owners and the longevity of the mark that all new owners should consider spending a few hundred quid from day 1 to get that all important cavity wax and underseal applied regardless of how long they plan on keeping the car...and find out how to clear any drain holes early on....with hindsight there'd be a lot more potential classics on the road today so given what we now know everyone should try and protect these little beauty's as they will potentially be tomorrow's classic.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
MK1 '89 (Shell for Project MK1.2.5 - Originally classic Red, resprayed badly in Ford ST Orange, currently being stripped back for respray)
MK1 '94 UK White 1.6 (First Mx-5, now used for track days, will be kept and handed down to my boy)
MK1 '95 Eunos 1.8 Type II Silver Stone Mica S-Package
MK2 '99 10th Anniversary (Reg:FI I0AE - Flyin Miata Turbo)
MK2 '99 Sport Special Edition - A Future Resto Project
MK2.5 '03 sport - Splash Green (Donor running gear/Interior for MK1.2.5 project, shell now scrapped)

Gone but not forgotten
MK2 '99 10th Anniversary (reg:R 10AE - donated to and restored by my bro)
Shadgrind
Serial Poster

Postby Shadgrind » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:12 am

Hmm, Mk4 lifeless steering, is that the one with the electric power steering? Never driven a 5 with electric steering. However, in my previous life as a driving instructor, I had the chance to drive a good few cars with that system. Tends to take the life out of the steering. More importantly why a 1.5? Surely a 2.0 would be better?
Mk4 Machine Grey 2.0 184BHP, SE-L + Nav and Apple Carplay
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:33 pm

I found it very close to the Mk1 and 2...alignment will make a massive difference...and to be honest...i personally would go for the 1.5cc...i found there was more character to the drive and feel than the 2.0cc...just like the early mk1 1.6cc..
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:31 pm

The 2018 cars will have a few mods. One is a new electric power steering map to improve feel, tweeks to the anti roll and as of the beginning of November 2017 production a version 4 gearbox. Version 1 was the original box. Versions 2 late 2016 and version 3 spring 2017 were for the 2nd 3rd gear problem and this months version 4 is for the first gear problem upgrade.

For the avoidance of doubt the gearboxes being used by Mazda UK to replace failed boxes are not version 4 boxes and in certain cases version 2 boxes.
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire

Return to “Problems”