What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Mk 4 with lifeless steering

Got a problem, need some advice ?
Get in here and ask the pros. There will always be one to bring you the correct answer, quickly.
Please bare in mind advice offered by some may not be correct. Pay attention to user ratings and status for a better idea on their knowledge.
paulcroft
New

Mk 4 with lifeless steering

Postby paulcroft » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:48 am

I have a 1.5 litre Sport Nav bought new in March last year and the steering has no feel in the straight ahead position.  Worse, when travelling along a straight road I can never relax my concentration for a second because the steering has a small amount of stiffness and doesn't self-centre over the last few degrees of steering so, if I unintentionally apply a small amount of steering to right or left of straight ahead, the car will happily continue to follow a curved path unless I correct it.  This was apparent when I bought the car new last March but it was not particularly stiff and I put it down to newness and assumed it would improve over time. However, I got used to it and it was only when I had a test drive of the new RF the other day - whose steering was exactly how I expect a car's steering to be - that I was reminded to get mine sorted while the car was still under warranty.

I took the car back to the dealer where I bought it for its first service last week but their after-service sales manager took a lot of convincing that there was a problem (even though we went for a longish test drive) and, when I went to collect it two days later, he told me that he had updated the car's software and it was now fine. I asked him if he had checked the car's tracking and he said no, that required use of the MoT bay and it was always busy but he didn't think it needed doing. Needless to say the car's steering is still exactly the same.

It goes without saying, I hope, that the car has never been kerbed or been in an accident and the car's tyre pressures are correct.

Has anyone on this forum heard of this before and got any suggestions?

Many thanks for any advice

Paul
drumtochty

Re: Mk 4 with lifeless steering

Postby drumtochty » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:08 pm

It suggests the castor is outwith spec and that the car may be improved by a full geometry check and adjustment.

Seems a bit OTT that the dealer did not check it for you.

I would comlain again and tell them they have to check the tracking. The service manager will do the most for those that shout and a good bit less for those who are reasonable as they are easy to fend off.
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire
paulcroft
New

Postby paulcroft » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:19 pm

@drumtochty
I'm not sure they have the equipment to do a decent check on the tracking if they have to use the MoT bay so I am of a mind to take it somewhere where I can get a full alignment check done and then take it from there. However, I thought that before I did that I would ask around to see if anyone else had experienced this before and come across another cause.
Paul
drumtochty

Postby drumtochty » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:30 pm

They need to use the MOT lift as that has the sliding plates that allows wheel movement to measure the castor angle.

How do y0u know whether they only have the tracking gear or full laser 4 wheel gear if you have not asked them.
1999 Mk2 Silver
2008 Mk3 Copper Red gone
2018 Mk4 GT+ Red
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire
paulcroft
New

Postby paulcroft » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:57 pm

That's fair comment, I don't, but the workshops and MoT bay are visible to visitors, they have the appearance of brick built sheds from the 50s and 60s and I see two four-poster lifts. Somehow I expect them to be more modern if they house modern laser alignment gear, in keeping with what I've seen when I've had alignment done before.
Paul
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:16 am

Take it back to the dealer and throw the keys at them, and tell them to check the alignment.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Also ask for a Before and after printout, to see if there is any significant change
'96 Gleneagles MeisterR Coilovers - engine bling stainless mx5parts full exhaust
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:38 pm

The dealer is obviously going to deny anything is wrong, but as the gang suggest stick to your guns and tell them that its not acceptable.

Had a bloke in last week with an 18 month old Peugeot with a starting fault, local dealer said nothing wrong, no codes etc etc.

No codes maybe but a leaking fuel filter seal was easily diagnosed. Replaced the filter and no starting issues since (they serviced it last but it wasnt nothing to do with them)

Give them hell.

You could do like I did a few years back, took my Ford to another Ford dealer who went out of his way to sort it, resulted in us buying a new car from him later (that was years ago mind) not had an issue with our VWs since 2004, well apart from the emmissions scandal and now the government telling me I am killing the world by driving a diesel :laughing-rolling:
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
paulcroft
New

Postby paulcroft » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks all for your advice. Returning to the dealer and stamping my feet is of course the logical option but the round trip, driving there and using public transport to get home, takes two hours so two journeys, one to deliver the car and the second to collect it, takes four hours. As well, having been treated in such a cavalier way I have lost confidence in their ability to do the work properly, if at all.

Instead, I made an appointment and went to Wheels in Motion this afternoon (two hours there and back) where I explained the problem, then they did the work and explained the process throughout. Half the settings were 'in the red' before adjustment and now all settings are 'in the green'. Problem solved.

The director of the firm from whom I bought the car will get my letter in the next day or so and I will use a different dealer for my next MX-5. In the grand scheme of things this may or may not be more effective than stamping me feet but it saves me time, I know for certain the car is now properly set up and, further down the line, the dealer who supplied the car will not be getting the profit from supplying me with my next MX-5.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:10 pm

So did alignment cure the fault?
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
paulcroft
New

Postby paulcroft » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:57 am

As per the end of paragraph two, yes problem solved. Having said that there is no doubt that the electric power steering has a somewhat dead feel to it in the straight ahead position compared with cars I've owned before with conventional hydraulic power assistance.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:40 am

They spent a lot of cash trying to get the electric steering to feel like the MK1's fluid steering, and to be fair when i test drove one it is not bad, there was a couple of things i would of designed different with the roadster, but other than that they have not done bad with the feel and position, the only major worry of mine was the underneath and box sections,,there is a lot of plastic under there and once removed there is a lot of pressed holes on the sections to save weight but are also water traps.
If you are thinking of keeping her for some time to come ? then invest in get her fully protected, sooner than later.
M-m

paulcroft
New

Postby paulcroft » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:53 pm

I have no experience of the Mk1 but I do now have experience of the new RF as well as the Mk4 because I test drove one as soon as they were available for test. The roof's clever but, when all's said and done, it's not for me, the Mk4 is so much more handsome with the roof down, not to mention the price increase. However, they have definitely fixed the steering's dead feeling in the straight ahead position because there was none in the car I drove and if I pulled the rim of the steering wheel even half an inch off straight ahead, at any speed, then released it, it returned immediately to the central position. I discussed this with the Mazda guy alongside me and he confirmed the steering mechanism of the RF has been re-engineered but this has not yet been revised on the Mk4. The difference, however, is so fundamental to the feel of the car that I really hope they include it on the ND and, when they do, I'll trade my current one in.

As an aside, I won't be changing from 1.5 to 2.0 litres. I drove both before purchase and thought long and hard before I opted for the 1.5 last year; the RF was 2.0 litres and it reminded me that, for me, the smaller engine is more balanced with this gorgeous light chassis than the bigger one.

So, come on Mazda, upgrade the steering of the ND to what you've put into the RF and you've got a confirmed buyer waiting already.
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Being as I am, I would send a covering letter with a copy of a before and after alignment printout to the dealer and to Mazda UK identifying the said dealers cavalier attitude to yourself and your Mazda. From past experience I know the Top Dogs don't like the little terriers sacking of potential return customers.

Glad its all sorted.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
CliveH

Postby CliveH » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:43 am

Hi to all
I have just joined after finding the MK4 1.5 dead steering thread, I have exactly the same problem and it is spoiling the driving experience , it is unsafe also in my opinion . The car is going back in soon as has a warning lights glitch but the dead ahead steering is much more of a problem . I will see if they can check it all .
Can I ask is your car now holding a straight line completely without veering off so easily?
Many thanks

Return to “Problems”