What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Help...Engine turns over but won't fire up

Got a problem, need some advice ?
Get in here and ask the pros. There will always be one to bring you the correct answer, quickly.
Please bare in mind advice offered by some may not be correct. Pay attention to user ratings and status for a better idea on their knowledge.
MADzaMIKE

Help...Engine turns over but won't fire up

Postby MADzaMIKE » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:44 pm

My 2002 2.5 NB has me pulling my hair out...which is becoming a problem, as I don't have much left to start with. Story so far...

Car was stood, uncovered for about 8 weeks in November/December without being used. On trying to start the car battery was flat...no problem, off with the battery, out with the charger, all should be good!!! Well...in theory!!! Car would only turn over and wouldn't fire up at all. This has never happened before (always started first turn of the key) so checked all fuses, fuel, any loose connections, sprayed around plugs etc with WD40...still no joy, car turns over but won't fire up.

Tired over several days and nothing, didn't have time to investigate further so put it's cover on and left for another couple of weeks. Had a nice sunny (but blinking cold) day so took cover off and tried again after charging the battery again...couldn't believe it, she fired straight up. I left it running for 20 minutes or so and decided to take hwer out for a run, but was worried she may not start again, so I switched of the engine, went to start her again but to my horror...she wouldn't, and hasn't started since.

I have tried several things after looking at forums. Firstly i cleared out the garage (no small feat) and pushed the car, single handed (and with one or two minor 'cuss' words), up my sloping drive, and into the garage. I have stripped out the passenger side and wasn't surprised to find very wet insulating panels in the footwell underneath the carpet...aha, thought I, this is the problem, a wet ECU. I dried everything out overnight with an electric heater, but couldn't get behind the plate to the ECU, so put a dehumidifier in the car for 2 days to see if this helped. It didn't, so I purchased nut removal tools and eventually got the plate off. On inspection, the ECU doesn't look like it has any signs of water ingress, and no damp at all. Darn it...I though I had got it solved.

I don't think the transponder in the key is the problem, as I have both keys, and car won't start from either. I now suspect it could be the immobiliser, after reading up on it, apparently the immobiliser symbol on the instrument cluster, should light up when switch is in acc or on position, and go out once car is started...it doesn't light up at all. I have tried the double lock procedure and it does light up to indicate that the procedure has worked and it is double locked, so the bulb is definitely working.

I now have a car that won't start and am missing her like mad

If anyone can help me to sort this, I would be eternally greatful, is there anyway I can test if it is the immobiliser, or the ECU, I am aware that they are paired with one another, and the keys, and that I can't just replace one or the other.

Yours hopefully...

Poorly MX5 owner
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: Help...Engine turns over but won't fire up

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Damp can give issues to a ECU.....but have you tried a OBDII reader yet before we condemn the immobilizer or ECU...it could be a faulty sensor like the cam or crack sensor at fault...
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
seagryhill
Regular

Re: Help...Engine turns over but won't fire up

Postby seagryhill » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:59 pm

I had a similar problem recently. The engine would fire but not idle and there was no response to throttle. The only way to deal with it is to work through the symptoms in a logical sequence. As M-m suggests, always start by looking for fault codes. If you have a MK2.5 you can buy an OBD bluetooth connector (for not much money) that will drive freeware on a smartphone or tablet. In my case my car is older so it only had the diagnostic block so you need an LED. If you have codes - fix them (but make sure to clear first and then retest otherwise you could be seeing old problems). If you don't have codes - move on to the next bit.

In my case I wasn't sure if it was fuel or ignition. Looking back it was all about what I saw on the plug leads. I put a timing light on each lead and I could clearly see a spark on all 4 cylinders but they were very erratic. That pointed to the fact that something was wrong in the timing system. A process of elimination eventually tracked it down to a failed crank angle sensor. Once that was changed it ran like a top. It's worth noting that the crank sensor is exposed at the front of the engine near the pulley and so gets all sorts of stuff thrown at it. In may case I suspect a leaking steering rack (that's since been replaced) had coated the sensor and caused it to foul up. Removing the power steering belt makes changing it a bit easier.

As an aside I first tried changing the camshaft angle sensor - because that is really easy to do. A new unit was used and in fact, made the problem worse. With a new aftermarket CAS in place the car would not fire at all. With the old unit in place it would at least fire a bit. Even after I replaced the crank sensor, putting in the new cam sensor stopped the engine firing at all. I guess looking back, the fact that a failed new unit changed the problem told me I was on the right track.

If it's not ignition then changing FP relays and the fuel pump are not too difficult providing you're a contortionist with very small, very strong fingers.

These problems can be very annoying but you just have to stick with it and work the problem. Let us know how you get on.
Mk1 G-Ltd Eunos 1.8 (well sort of, all the bits except the shell)
Mk2 1.8 restored (was dead, now it's alive)
Toyota Hilux for towing MX5s on trailers

Return to “Problems”