What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Rear caliper woes....

Got a problem, need some advice ?
Get in here and ask the pros. There will always be one to bring you the correct answer, quickly.
Please bare in mind advice offered by some may not be correct. Pay attention to user ratings and status for a better idea on their knowledge.
timb
New

Rear caliper woes....

Postby timb » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:12 am

Hi all, I'm having some struggles with my OSR caliper :confusion-confused: .. car is a 91 Eunos that I've had for a few months, so not fully aware of the service history although I know the PO changed pads regularly as he did a lot of track days etc., it's fitted with Skuzzle braided lines and filled with Motul RBF 600 fluid if that makes any difference!

Anyway, I noticed it was dragging 5mins into a drive at the weekend, so decided to see if I could sort it myself - never worked on disc brakes other than bleeding and adjusting the handbrake (although done the drums on my mini) so armed myself with a few youtube videos and the guide on here.

It seems the piston is stuck - the allen bolt adjuster is working in the sense that if I tighten it, I can't turn the hub by hand and when I loosen it I can but only with a fair bit of force so I guess it's only moving back a tiny bit. I've eliminated the handbrake lever being the culprit (I think?) by disconnecting the cable and checking the movement of the sprung lever - it springs back nicely to where it should be, and again if I pull on it with my fingers it locks the brake well. I've undone the brake fluid reservoir cap and also let a little fluid out of the bleeder valve to check it's not overly pressurised or having an issue returning fluid due to the flexi hose. I've got the bottom slide pin out no problem, but the caliper just won't swing up at all....what's the next step? I am thinking whacking it off with a hammer and drift, is that sensible or are there any other options?

Many TIA,

Tim
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: Rear caliper woes....

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:57 am

It sounds like there is more than one issue at fault here , the worm drive and the dry seized top slider pin.
If the worm drive is fudged , then its a new caliper, do not get the cheap Chinese rubbish as you will be throwing money away for a dangerous ill made copy, either new or refurbished from the likes of autolinkmx5.
Now as for the fused slider... It does not sound like the PO was doing all that he said bud, that means its fitted dry and water as gotten past the dust boot seal and its rust, you now need a good penetrating oil like plus gas "NOT WD40" , using the straw, lift the dust boot and spray under the dust boot towards the caliper and work it in up and down spraying as you go and with a lot of man grunts and swearing it should slowly free up and come off to be able to swap the caliper, you might need to help with a drift and hammer ,but you do need to be careful with where you whack, i'll get a pic to show you,Worste case is undo the carrier bolts and remove the whole thing from the upright.
Clean up the slider pin and invest in some red rubber grease and copper grease to be fitted correct and also with protection against this happening again.
But this is a case of not being done correct in the first place by the PO, so take what ever big ups they have said in a pinch of salts bud.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
timb
New

Postby timb » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:41 am

Thanks Wayne, I've hit it with some plusgas this morning so lets see if I can get it to budge when I have a chance to look at this evening. :handgestures-thumbup:

There was red grease on the bottom slider and I saw some on the top slider when I pulled back the boot to get the plusgas straw in, I do trust the PO that he did what he said, whether he did it correctly though is another matter! :???:
timb
New

Postby timb » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:09 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:If the worm drive is fudged , then its a new caliper,

Hi Wayne, any reason why I couldn't fix it with a new wormdrive screw and piston (I'd do the seals at the same time)? Or is it just less hassle to replace the caliper completely?
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:59 pm

Far easier to just replace it than the hassle of stripping it all down , by the time you have paid for the parts ,it's not far off the same price as a OE refurb.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
timb
New

Postby timb » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:41 pm

Mazda Mender wrote:Far easier to just replace it than the hassle of stripping it all down , by the time you have paid for the parts ,it's not far off the same price as a OE refurb.
M-m

Well I got the caliper off now, slider pin looks ok so think it was just the piston holding it on, it's definitely not winding in/out apart from a very small amount....just put an order in with Andrew for a reconditioned one so hopefully I'll be back on the road soon :auto-layrubber:

Thanks for all the advice, will make a donation shortly.
GlennyGills

Postby GlennyGills » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:40 am

Good work - well done. :handgestures-thumbup:
'96 Gleneagles MeisterR Coilovers - engine bling stainless mx5parts full exhaust

Return to “Problems”