What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

HSA MX5 Hill Climb Championship

Old posts and threads live in here for Track and Racing ,please feel free to have a nosey.
MrChrome
Serial Poster

HSA MX5 Hill Climb Championship

Postby MrChrome » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:38 pm

UPDATE: These are the HSA Dates:

http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/calendar.asp

The MX5 Championship is sponsored by Autolink MX5.... So look out there will be some tickets for each race up for grabs as prizes - More later...
Now at DoctorMX5...
Martin3

Re: HSA MX5 Hill Climb Championship

Postby Martin3 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:59 am

I have been meaning to attend a HSA Hillclimb event and ask these questions in person. We (my wife and I) are looking to take our first steps into motorsport. The MX5 Class A2.1 seems to be an ideal starting point, once we find a suitable vehicle.

I have read the Bluebook a couple of times and would appreciate some advice about the requirements and more specifically the intention of the requirements. I also read on Bob's blog that the louvred headlamp cover was not acceptable, which has confused me. The Bluebook states that wheel arch extensions and bonnet louvres are permitted provided the silhouette remains unchanged. I ask, as I don't want to be caught out by some regulation.

I appreciate that this is a road-going production class though it does appear that some modifications are permitted, such as alloy wheels and replacement suspension (providing that the suspension configuration remains "standard"). I am also mindful of the MX5 rolling so will be investing in a suitable roll-bar / roll-cage.

What about the exhaust (would a stainless steel system be considered a performance enhancing modification)? I couldn't find anything other than the engine must remain pretty much untouched. Also the Bluebook states that the gearbox and differential casing must be of the original type and material and remain in their original position, does this give me licence to replace the internals (gear / final drive ratios)? I would prefer to have a hardtop on the car as it will be my (almost) daily driver then remove the hardtop from the car for the event. Therefore I would like to remove the soft top, is there a view on the use of a removable hardtop in place of the soft top? As far as I can see it will not be a problem as the silhouette remains unchanged.
Colin S
Regular

Postby Colin S » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:43 pm

I have just had a quick look at 2012 Blue Book and there do appear to be some changes in series production, which is what the HSA Mazda MX5 class runs under

11.4 .4 and 11.4.5 have been deleted which means that wheel arch extensions bonnet louvres and aerodynamic devices are no longer allowed.

Exhaust/Induction systems are free

List 1a Tyres required.

Looks like 11.7 has been updated quite a bit and while the suspension design/pick up points must remain unaltered it looks as though you can use different springs/dampers/bushes and they can have adjustable spring platforms.

Transmission is more or less as before -not sure on reading it if it allows something like the Quaif ATB diff if it is in original casing...will need to ask about that.

On the hood point according to 11.4.6 all interior trim must remain (other than carpets) and 11.4.7 All working equipment fitted as standard must remain operable at all times (list includes "sunroof") it would seem that it has to remain.

Please note that I have only had a chance for a quick look and have not gone through them in detail, although I will probably have to before our first Sprint at North Weald in April.

There are also other events you can do such as Autosolos, which dont even need a competition licence, helmet or overalls, which makes it a little cheaper.

If you have any more questions ask -if I can't answer them I can ask people I know at the MSA
Racing Bronze Mk2 1.8iS
MrChrome
Serial Poster

Postby MrChrome » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Colin S wrote:I have just had a quick look at 2012 Blue Book and there do appear to be some changes in series production, which is what the HSA Mazda MX5 class runs under

11.4 .4 and 11.4.5 have been deleted which means that wheel arch extensions bonnet louvres and aerodynamic devices are no longer allowed.

Exhaust/Induction systems are free

List 1a Tyres required.

Looks like 11.7 has been updated quite a bit and while the suspension design/pick up points must remain unaltered it looks as though you can use different springs/dampers/bushes and they can have adjustable spring platforms.

Transmission is more or less as before -not sure on reading it if it allows something like the Quaif ATB diff if it is in original casing...will need to ask about that.

On the hood point according to 11.4.6 all interior trim must remain (other than carpets) and 11.4.7 All working equipment fitted as standard must remain operable at all times (list includes "sunroof") it would seem that it has to remain.

Please note that I have only had a chance for a quick look and have not gone through them in detail, although I will probably have to before our first Sprint at North Weald in April.

There are also other events you can do such as Autosolos, which dont even need a competition licence, helmet or overalls, which makes it a little cheaper.

If you have any more questions ask -if I can't answer them I can ask people I know at the MSA

The diff question is a tricky one. You need to read the Sprint and HillClimb rules as well as the main Blue Book. I'll have another read - I think you can run whatever you want providing it fits in the casing.

Tyres - I've competing in a Road Going Class this season and you are permitted to run any E Mark Tyre so List 1B tyres should be allowed too....

Hood - that's a tricky one - I know that you'd be able to get away without a hood if you had a hard-top

NOTE: You need to check the Champsionship Rules AND any additional rules imposed by the entering club or the venue....

REMEMBER: Not all events will be open to Non-Race National B licenmces - there are some that require a Non-Race National A or above..
Now at DoctorMX5...
MrChrome
Serial Poster

Postby MrChrome » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

[quote="Martin3"]I.

I appreciate that this is a road-going production class though it does appear that some modifications are permitted, such as alloy wheels and replacement suspension (providing that the suspension configuration remains "standard"). I am also mindful of the MX5 rolling so will be investing in a suitable roll-bar / roll-cage.
[quote]

Make sure it's a proper one - there are some that sell very well but aren't up to much. I will not name them on the open forum but it would worry me. I'd rather drive without one of these types.
Now at DoctorMX5...
MrChrome
Serial Poster

Postby MrChrome » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Oh and don't forget you actually need to register for the Championship to be included!
Now at DoctorMX5...
PaulH
Serial Poster

Postby PaulH » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Plus also be a member of the HSA !, I ran in this years championship & the Bugatti Owners Club "Porsche Cheltenham" championship HSA in Class A2.1, some very competitive people out there, Tony Thomas Mk3, Ken Morris quick 1.8 etc, remember the class is for MX5's 1600 - 2000 cc plus run on A1 tyres & quite a few mods allowed IAW the Blue Book, standard cars at a disadvantage but the BOC champs allow you to run in up to 1600cc class standard production car, believe next year this championship will be for absolutely bog standard production cars (induction mods & standard - sensible listed tyres, not from Taiwan or cheap retreads etc), scrutineering at BOC events looks for & concentrates at club level for safety issues as opposed to other events being to full Blue Book standards for the class, if I can pass on any info re the champs let me know, B Rgds, Paul H, Bicester.
PaulH
Serial Poster

Postby PaulH » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:08 am

Any body planning to register & compete next year, am planning to again as my 2012 season was cut short by an unplanned hospital visit (was leading the A2.1 champs up to that point), will endeavour to do all rounds next year in a bog standard 1600 Mk2. Paul H.
PaulH
Serial Poster

Postby PaulH » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:57 pm

2013 license renewal forms arrived today, going to upgrade to "A" National for next year, way round oversubscribed entries with HSA & BOC, REIS not confirmed as sponsors for next years HSA rounds but will do them whoever is coming forward, Paul H.

Return to “ARCHIVE:- Track / Racing”