What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

The Perfect One

Old posts and threads live here for Mx/Roadster chat and banter, please feel free to have a nosey
The Slickster
Just Run In

The Perfect One

Postby The Slickster » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:15 pm

Probably been done on other forums, but what do you think would make "The Perfect 5".

Which MK? - Which engine? - Which gearbox? - What colour? - What toys? - Would it be Standard,Turbocharged or Supercharged? - What is possible, and whats not?
You know the dance ;)

But lets have a bit of meat on the bone with your answers, and let us know why.

I'm preparing my list of what my 5 would be, and its something - if I get the time - that I wouldn't mind having a go at......... or, is that maybe a bridge too far?

Its questions questions questions with me.

The post is not drug or alcohol fuelled.
No more 1996 Ex ministerial Jaguar Sovereign - The "estranged/venomous one" has it - hey ho, onwards and upwards
1990 Custom paint MK1 Eunos - A joy to drive
1994 Black MK1 Eunos - Track Dawg
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Club Cab Pick-up
The Slickster
Just Run In

Re: The Perfect One

Postby The Slickster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:34 am

Just been to Skuzzle - What was I thinking :shock:
No more 1996 Ex ministerial Jaguar Sovereign - The "estranged/venomous one" has it - hey ho, onwards and upwards
1990 Custom paint MK1 Eunos - A joy to drive
1994 Black MK1 Eunos - Track Dawg
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Club Cab Pick-up
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:29 am

For me....
Best built shell.....Mk 1
Electrics(loom), runnig gear, engine and all subframes etc from a Mk 2.5 1.8 VVT
Suspension... meister R's
Mk 2 interior from a V.S or SE
Colour ...not sure on that? red or a deep blue?
Boot floor welded in from the Mk 2/2.5
Super charged
Made into a fast back, with an opening gate?
And a shed load of fettling :D
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:48 pm

For me the question would be, how would I improve my car...

Get the tuning spot on across the range, hot and cold, get idle spot on, remove the stock ecu, get rid of MAF etc.
Get the paintwork sorted out properly and shielded.
Find the perfect suspension. I'm not sure it exists though. Something like Tein with external fluid reservoir and separate bump/rebound adjustment would make it easier. There isn't much that's going to be great on road and track without compromises.
Get my 17" OZ wheels refurbed. Swap the 15" Rotas for Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 in Anthracite.
Find some after-market bucket seats that I can bolt to very low rails that allow for full seat slide that give the comfort of stock seats but holding me in properly on track.
Swap my HD Deuce roll bars for something that easily allows harnesses to be used.
Cover the interior plastics with lightly padded leather.
Fit a mohair hood.

If I could do all that while losing 200Kg of weight but retaining all the creature comforts then I'd be very happy 8-)

I can't think of much else. I don't want a body kit of any sort. I don't want a different engine. I don't want pop-up lights. I just want my car but better :mrgreen:
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
Andrew
Site Sponsor

Postby Andrew » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Having had a few of these now, this is my list:

Car:
mk1 (best build quality and materials)
1.6, late 1990 or 1991 (strongest engine, lightest shell, long nose crank)
import (I like the a/c and viscous LSD)

Mods:
galaxy grey colour (I like it)
watanabe 14" wheels (light)
toyo 888 tyres (not found better yet)
HKS induction kit (best noise)
decat pipe
unsure about the rear exhaust, have tried lots, Racing Beat maybe, but I'd like to get the sound of AT's old red 1.6 which may have had a Mongoose, but I can't remember for sure.
Meister-R suspension (not found anything better yet, regardless of cost)
1.8 mk1 brakes, haven't found the ideal pads yet (don't like the mk2.5 'big' brakes, too heavy)
leather seats
Raybrig headlights
S-Spec braces
6-speed gearbox from mk2 RS
mk2.5 soft top, rain rail & frame (vinyl)
standard engine though, no turbo or supercharger.
Regards.
Andrew
www.autolinkmx5.com
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:06 am

I've seen that mentioned before and I have no idea where it comes from but the mk1 1.6 is NOT the strongest engine. From what I've seen all MX5 engines, Mk1 1.6, 1.8, Mk2 1.8 8 Mk2.5 1.8 all have pretty much the same power & torque potential. No engine is any stronger than any other. The 1.8 is easier to get bigger power from and the Mk2 head flows better than Mk1 so is a better choice. Mk2.5 engine has VVT, improved flow, higher compression and a much better manifold so makes more power with the same modifications so is a better choice again.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:18 am

Lazza
That info from Andrew would of come from all the years and experience of owners bringing their roadsters to him, and repairing or replacing engines, so those years of production are the least to be offerd to him for any engine work.
Personally all the Mks have their own traits from what I have had to deal with, good and bad, the Mk 1 1.8 is a far better engine than the Mk 2 1.8, but the the Mk 1 version is let down with the coil/ecu faults, the Mk 2.5 vvt engine is a far better engine than the Mk 2 which got changed in production because it uses oil and if unchecked runs out and good bye engine, so was not just cosmetic changes as bleated about across the forums, there was a big reason for that change, as in the same reason the SNC was changed in the first years of production to the later LNC, because the engines were failing with crank shaft wear.
The Mk 3 is ford-based and I await to see the issues/traits from them
We can go on and on and on about the traits of these roadsters and what each Mk,engine, years,electrics,body tubs, build quilty(thanks ford), but without the different models and Mks we would not have the wide range of ownership and owners.
And as for the different traits well I think that is where we come in to help owners with them so they can still be enjoyed
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Andrew
Site Sponsor

Postby Andrew » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:22 pm

I reckon the 1.6 mk1 (short crank excepted) is the strongest engine. They are more tolerant of being overheated than any of the 1.8's, particularly the mk2 BP4W which usually makes the head scrap as there isn't enough meat on it to skim once it's been cooked.

1.6 mk2 engine should be good, but I've seen quite a few smoky ones, percentage wise, far higher than the mk1 1.6.

1.8 VVT has the mysterious inlet cam problem causing non-starting which I'm still not absolutely sure why it happens.

The highest mileage cars I've had have all been mk1 1.6's (mine has over 290,000km on it for example).

The early 1.6 always feels to me a sweeter engine, it seems to like to rev more than the later or larger engines.

Andrew
Regards.
Andrew
www.autolinkmx5.com
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Fair enough. I can't argue with experience :D

My view was coming from a different direction with regards to engine strength i.e. which engine will handle the most power in which case there is little difference between any of them but with that power being easier to find with each step bigger/newer.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats

Return to “ARCHIVE:- Mx/Roadster Chat and banter”