What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Rust on sills - Which products?

This is the section to see what is hidding behind those panels, and how to get rid of the tin worm, cutting out and welding in fresh metal, protection and paint.
dogrosie
Just Run In

Rust on sills - Which products?

Postby dogrosie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Hey all.
This is my first post :-). I have a 1992 Eunos, which I bought in September 2012 in order to gain some DIY skills.

I have some surface rust on the sill. (Had a long conversation with Wayne last night about it - Thanks for your time it was very helpful!).

He recommended sanding back the black sill paint so that the rust was gone and I was back to clean metal, apply some Korust, then paint over the whole sill (not just the sanded back area).

What products do I need aside from the korust?
I already have a small tin of hammerite satin black but I have no idea whether that is suitable. Wayne recommended some Hammerite smoothrite paint.

The aim of this car is for me to do DIY on it in order to keep costs minimised, and fun maximised!
1992 Eunos 1.6 in 3L silver.
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Re: Rust on sills - Which products?

Postby flea » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:28 pm

dogrosie wrote:Hey all.
This is my first post :-). I have a 1992 Eunos, which I bought in September 2012 in order to gain some DIY skills.

I have some surface rust on the sill. (Had a long conversation with Wayne last night about it - Thanks for your time it was very helpful!).

He recommended sanding back the black sill paint so that the rust was gone and I was back to clean metal, apply some Korust, then paint over the whole sill (not just the sanded back area).

What products do I need aside from the korust?
I already have a small tin of hammerite satin black but I have no idea whether that is suitable. Wayne recommended some Hammerite smoothrite paint.

The aim of this car is for me to do DIY on it in order to keep costs minimised, and fun maximised!

Hi ya & welcome. May be a good idea to post in the newbie section to say a little about yourself :wink:

Can you post some pictures up but not the one where you have jacked on seams :whistle:
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
dogrosie
Just Run In

Postby dogrosie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:00 pm

I will post an introduction tomorrow :-D .

ImageImageImageImage

There are two rust spots, surface only. One is a spot due to the paint being scraped off in the past. The other is a thin brown lone, origin unknown. The inner lip off the sill is clean.

A good Googling suggests I should sand the area down, treat the rust, then apply stone chip paint rather than the hammerite. As I already have the hammerite I could just sand back the affected areas, treat with kurust and paint with the hammerite, but this is not stone chip proof and will get damaged quickly I think!

I plan to visit Halfords tomorrow afternoon as I have a ÂŁ10 voucher and a trade card as well, but I am a little new to stuff like this and literally need everything spelling out for me! I can repay any help by taking photos of what I do :-).
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Masking tape, smoothrite black paint, paint brush, sand paper, korust, mole grips or rubber hammer to strighten sill lip, small screw driver to check/clear drainage points on sill lips.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
roadster1980

Postby roadster1980 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:47 am

^^^^ as above really or you could throw on some aerosol stonechip then go over with black paint
td-05 turbo@.6bar 190.8hp
Build thread
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1399
dogrosie
Just Run In

Postby dogrosie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks for the replies :-) Do I need any primer to go onto the bare metal?
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:07 am

Just for the sake of accuracy the stuff you need to apply to bare metal is called Kurust, made by Hammerite http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001C43UO6/? ... B001C43UO6
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Postby The Captain » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:04 am

dogrosie wrote:Thanks for the replies :-) Do I need any primer to go onto the bare metal?
Not if you are using Kurust and then Hammerite Smoothrite

EDIT: Just checked and Hammerite claim that you can apply direct to bare metals with no need for a primer.
Last edited by The Captain on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogrosie
Just Run In

Postby dogrosie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:10 am

what about if I use stonechip paint before the hammerite paint?
roadster1980

Postby roadster1980 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:10 am

As far as I'm aware you need to use a etch primer on bare metal
Build thread
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:28 am

Not with hammerite/smoothrite Ste, but i get where your coming from.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:46 pm

This is direct from there site so it should tell you everything :handgestures-thumbup:

Abrade smooth surfaces and remove all loose rust and flaking paint with a wire brush.
Remove dirt, dust and grease with diluted detergent. Rinse with clean water and allow time to dry.
Paint a test patch of Hammerite Direct to Rust Metal Paint Smooth onto painted surfaces and leave for 1 hour. If there is no reaction apply Hammerite Direct to Rust Metal Paint Smooth directly to surface.
If there is a reaction, remove all paint before applying Hammerite Direct to Rust Metal Paint Smooth.
On bare zinc, aluminium and galvanised surfaces apply Hammerite Special Metals Primer before applying Hammerite Direct to Rust Metal Paint Smooth.

Ideal application temperature 8-25degC.
Lightly stir before use. Do not mix vigorously.
Do not mix paint from 2 tins or mix colours.
Brush application: Do not thin. On previously painted metal in sound condition, 1 coat should be sufficient. On bare/rusty metal 2 coats are required. Ensure that all edges and corners are adequately covered. Do not over-apply as sagging will occur.
Coventional spray application: Thin with Hammerite Brush Cleaner & Thinners at a ratio of 15% Thinners to Paint. Set spray gun at 25/35psi and use full fan spray at maximum volume. Apply 4 thin coats. Allow 1 hour between coats. Refer to spray equipment manufacturer's guidelines for the correct and safe use of sprayers.
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
dogrosie
Just Run In

Postby dogrosie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:02 pm

Many thanks for the replies everyone!

This weekend I straightened out the sill lips with mole grips and rodded out the drain holes with a coat hanger (one hole a bit tight so used paper clip). They had a touch of mud on them but no water came out at all, so I am glad that they were not blocked!
The mole grips took a bit of paint off the sill lips, so I put a small amount of hammerite sooth black on them, just to cover any bare metal.

I must say that I really do not like the stuff and would much rather go for some stonechip paint in a rattle can!
When 'painting the sills', do I just go down to the bottom of the sill or can I include the sill lip (that you would put the scissor jack onto)?.
roadster1980

Postby roadster1980 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:05 pm

dogrosie wrote:Many thanks for the replies everyone!

This weekend I straightened out the sill lips with mole grips and rodded out the drain holes with a coat hanger (one hole a bit tight so used paper clip). They had a touch of mud on them but no water came out at all, so I am glad that they were not blocked!
The mole grips took a bit of paint off the sill lips, so I put a small amount of hammerite sooth black on them, just to cover any bare metal.

I must say that I really do not like the stuff and would much rather go for some stonechip paint in a rattle can!
When 'painting the sills', do I just go down to the bottom of the sill or can I include the sill lip (that you would put the scissor jack onto)?.

Stonechip is just that not a paint too, you will need to go over it with a aerosol gloss black, as stonchip is porous on its own, and yes all the sill inc the lip
Build thread
dogrosie
Just Run In

Postby dogrosie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Do I sand back to bare metal all over the sill or just the rusty bits?

Would someone be so kind to provide me with a shopping list. I am afraid I really do need it spelling out to me.
I would rather go for the aerosol method as I feel hammerite+brush will look crap.

Return to “General Body shop”