What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Chassis Rust MK2

This is the section to see what is hidding behind those panels, and how to get rid of the tin worm, cutting out and welding in fresh metal, protection and paint.
CarCrazy73
New

Chassis Rust MK2

Postby CarCrazy73 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:13 pm

Hi,

I've only had the car a couple of months but I've done the trackday and hillclimb school in it I bought it for. And it survived...

Anyway its got a months mot left so I thought I ought to start checking it out to see if it would pass. The rear arch is going but its solid under the sills so probably ok for this years mot. It runs, drives and stops perfectly and hasn't missed a beat since I've had it, even on track. And its been thrashed. When changing my brake pads after the trackday I noticed the outside of the drivers chassis rail was a bit swollen, crunchy when pressed and had been covered in cheap underseal so I thought I'd start there. I jacked it up at the weekend, removed all splash shields and wheelarch guards and aggressively jetwashed the chassis / engine bay area. A couple of holes appeared after this..

After Jet Wash Drivers Side
After Jet Wash.jpg
After Jet Wash.jpg (210.76 KiB) Viewed 13409 times

Underneath of passenger side chassis rail
Base Passenger Side.jpg
Base Passenger Side.jpg (197.92 KiB) Viewed 13409 times

After a bit of hammer and wire brush use it enlarged - you can probably go a good inch round what you can see before good metal
Hammer and Wire Brush.jpg
Hammer and Wire Brush.jpg (191.42 KiB) Viewed 13409 times

I was thinking (before starting) I'll just plate it up if theres a couple of little holes. I think its now way beyond that. The amazing thing is initially (should have taken pic...) there was no visible hole or crack, just a bit of swelling

Do we think it is worth repairing?

I keep thinking I only paid ÂŁ675 for it, I've done what I wanted in it, its still got a months mot and I could probably get ÂŁ300 - 400 back for it off someone making a westfield or similar...
The other side is saying I'd forgotten how much fun they are, I have become quite attached to it and I don't like killing them or giving up easily.

I'm just worried it could spiral into allsorts of other jobs on the way and I'd have been better just getting rid and spending the money on buying a better one?
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Chassis Rust MK2

Postby flea » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:36 pm

They are bad but I'd save it. Just cut them off & get some new ones welded on. Then you know you've got one with good rails
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
blackyb

Re: Chassis Rust MK2

Postby blackyb » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:00 pm

flea wrote:They are bad but I'd save it. Just cut them off & get some new ones welded on. Then you know you've got one with good rails

Totally agree, the replacement sections are quite cost effective and if done right and protected will last for years.

:handgestures-thumbup:
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:18 pm

Get it done correct with repair sections( we sell them on here) the rails are a cheaper fix than the rear arches and sills,,,cosmetic to us now.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
CarCrazy73
New

Postby CarCrazy73 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:52 am

Ok, thanks for the advice, you've convinced me to have a go!

I've looked through a few repair threads on here and have a good idea of what to do. I've ordered some anti roll bar drop links and I'll get some of the repair sections for the chassis rails

I jacked it up again yest for another look and to spray some wd on everything again. My main concern is the bolt through the top wishbone. The nut is very corroded and does not look like it will want to come off. I tried a few spanners on the nut and the bolt head and even the ones that fitted the best seemed a bit loose. I know once they've slipped your in trouble. Can anyone confirm the sizes for me before I start rounding nuts off? The bolt head appears to be a 21 and the nut a 20 but neither are a brilliant fit, I'll get some decent 6 point sockets before I start

Top Wishbone.jpg
Top Wishbone.jpg (214.33 KiB) Viewed 13375 times

If I cant get it off I was thinking I can probably get a small grinder in on the nut to cut it off? Is that the best way if it wont move? Or am I worrying about nothing? I've seen a couple of 2nd hand bolts on ebay and ordered those in case I have to cut them off

Thanks,
Andy..
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Sat May 02, 2015 12:23 pm

CarCrazy73 wrote:Ok, thanks for the advice, you've convinced me to have a go!

I've looked through a few repair threads on here and have a good idea of what to do. I've ordered some anti roll bar drop links and I'll get some of the repair sections for the chassis rails

I jacked it up again yest for another look and to spray some wd on everything again. My main concern is the bolt through the top wishbone. The nut is very corroded and does not look like it will want to come off. I tried a few spanners on the nut and the bolt head and even the ones that fitted the best seemed a bit loose. I know once they've slipped your in trouble. Can anyone confirm the sizes for me before I start rounding nuts off? The bolt head appears to be a 21 and the nut a 20 but neither are a brilliant fit, I'll get some decent 6 point sockets before I start

Top Wishbone.jpg

If I cant get it off I was thinking I can probably get a small grinder in on the nut to cut it off? Is that the best way if it wont move? Or am I worrying about nothing? I've seen a couple of 2nd hand bolts on ebay and ordered those in case I have to cut them off

Thanks,
Andy..

Get a good set of six point sockets, throw out the multi fits, plenty of WD40 (there are other brands available) and take your time.

:handgestures-thumbup:
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat May 02, 2015 7:21 pm

21mm buddy.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
ne.ross
Just Run In

Postby ne.ross » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:07 pm

this is what my chassis rails look like to, i am going to get the repair sections welded in and hopefully sort the problem out
Red 2003 MK2.5 S-VT Sport

Return to “General Body shop”