What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Removing spot welded panels

This is the section to see what is hidding behind those panels, and how to get rid of the tin worm, cutting out and welding in fresh metal, protection and paint.
dmt
New

Removing spot welded panels

Postby dmt » Sun May 10, 2015 9:28 pm

Hi, I am going to cut out the rust on my Mk1 sill and wheel arch but was wondering how to remove the panel edges that are spot welded like the wheel arch lip. Do I grind away the metal until it leaves the panel behind or do I leave the lip in place and fit the new panel over the top and plug weld around the arch? Any help is appreciated.
Yolo
Epic Poster

Re: Removing spot welded panels

Postby Yolo » Sun May 10, 2015 9:42 pm

I seem to remember reading that you drill the spot welds but one of the real menders will be along to advise for sure. :handgestures-thumbup:
Mk 1 Eunos 1.6 Silver
Meister Suspension - Mk2.5 leather seats - IL Motorsport Bushes - 1.8 brake upgrade
Getting there slowly
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4699
roadster1980

Postby roadster1980 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:45 am

this is what you need either a 8 or 10mm spot weld drill bit it's flat head won't drill through both panels just drill it slow speed other wise they burn out quick
td-05 turbo@.6bar 190.8hp
Build thread
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1399
roadster1980

Postby roadster1980 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:48 am

clean up after apply zinc rich weld though primer to the inner panel before renewing and same on the inside of the new panel too,
drill another series of holes on the new panel off the car lining up and plug weld them
just remember you won't need half as many plug welds as spot welds and mig welding will hold stronger to start with
td-05 turbo@.6bar 190.8hp
Build thread
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1399
dmt
New

Postby dmt » Mon May 11, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks for the information I will get drill bits, also once the panels are welded together is it best to seal the inner wheel arch edge with seam sealer?
dmt
New

Postby dmt » Mon May 11, 2015 9:54 pm

Also which "Zinc rich weld through primer" should I buy.

Return to “General Body shop”