What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Wink Mod Fitting Guide and FAQ

Come and see what our Jon is up to, with his electric gizmos that his mind and hands mould into magic little boxes of tricks, he gets bored very easily, so if you have an idea that you can throw at him, all the better for him to play with ;0)
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Wink Mod Fitting Guide and FAQ

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:09 pm

Fitting to a 1.6 NA import

Note: You undertake work on your own car at your own risk - do it safely and competently or things will go wrong and dragons will come.
If you are at all in doubt, ask for advice first, or get someone competent to fit it for you - Autolink offer a fitting service, or any Auto-Electrician will be able to help.

We are gathering as many of the wire colours as we can and will post these up here as we get them. Please refer to the diagram in the instructions for identification of the correct wires.

click on pics to enlarge

Here is how the kit arrives:
1.jpg
1.jpg (64.49 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (71.92 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

First, have a good read of the instructions...
3.jpg
3.jpg (69.22 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

Various kit you might need...
4.jpg
4.jpg (76.98 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

If you have one and can use one, a soldering iron is the best way to make the connections permanently.
Or you can use some crimp connectors and scotchlok connectors.
Bullet connectors are a good way to make the installation easily reversible.

Choose which side you want to wink - you fit the mod to that side.
Then pop up the lights
5.jpg
5.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

Disconnect the motor and ideally the battery too for belt and braces - you do NOT want the light to close on your hand accidentally, or it will come out a different shape and size.
6.jpg
6.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

And find the bit of loom shown:
7.jpg
7.jpg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

8.jpg
8.jpg (72.94 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

9.jpg
9.jpg (63.97 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

This is where it gets a bit tricky thanks to Mazda's 'wire colour randomiser' that they seem to have in the factory...
In your instructions you will see an image showing the locations of the wires on the connector - find those wires.

Wire A is usually Red/Yellow - this connects to the Yellow/Red and Yellow/Black on the mod.
Wire B is various colours, but is found next to Wire B on the connector - this connects to Green/Red and Green/Black on the mod.

If in doubt - Wire A is live when the lights are up and not when they are down, Wire B is the other way round.

Cut these two wires and connect them to the mod
10.jpg
10.jpg (92.84 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

11.jpg
11.jpg (93.99 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

12.jpg
12.jpg (71.63 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

13.jpg
13.jpg (64.9 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

14.jpg
14.jpg (66.33 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

15.jpg
15.jpg (117.78 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

Here we are using bullet connectors for the connections
16.jpg
16.jpg (80.24 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

17.jpg
17.jpg (103.93 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

Connect females to the ends on the car side
18.jpg
18.jpg (125.19 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

And males to the ends on the motor side
19.jpg
19.jpg (119.88 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

Then they will go together without the mod attached if needed at a later date
20.jpg
20.jpg (117.27 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

Now connect the other bullets so that the mod can be inserted as per the wiring diagram in the instructions
If you are making a more permanent connection, you can solder and heatshrink the joints instead
21.jpg
21.jpg (67.94 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

22.jpg
22.jpg (78.34 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

23.jpg
23.jpg (81.61 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

24.jpg
24.jpg (71.58 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

25.jpg
25.jpg (109.69 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

Here it is all connected up with the mod in place:
26.jpg
26.jpg (84.29 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

Now to sort the ground connection, in this case using a ring connector...
27.jpg
27.jpg (100.89 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

28.jpg
28.jpg (128.17 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

29.jpg
29.jpg (59.75 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

The motor body mounting makes a good earth - make sure the connection is secure.
30.jpg
30.jpg (82.01 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

If you want to integrate with the stalk so you can wink with a double-pull, you need to find the high-beam wire.
In fact you can use any 12V source that is capable of producing a 12-0-12-0 pulse like a double pull - for example the horn feed (beep-beep-wink), or even the blower switch - these have not been tested but should work if you want to experiment, but don't connect it to anything over 12V

31.jpg
31.jpg (106.78 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

The high beam wire is a thick Red/White (usually!) wire in the small loom next to the motor loom
32.jpg
32.jpg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

33.jpg
33.jpg (55.48 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

It's always best to test before fitting to make sure...
34.jpg
34.jpg (57.8 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

35.jpg
35.jpg (49.91 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

36.jpg
36.jpg (51.92 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

This type of wire stripper is well worth the extra few quid - they are especially useful for making splices
You could use a large scotchlok here, but soldering is much better if you can.
37.jpg
37.jpg (61.02 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

38.jpg
38.jpg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

39.jpg
39.jpg (57.48 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

Depending how and where you want to mount it, you might like to take the splice around the existing loom
40.jpg
40.jpg (53.74 KiB) Viewed 23946 times

So it can be wrapped up neatly
41.jpg
41.jpg (54.95 KiB) Viewed 23945 times

42.jpg
42.jpg (43.79 KiB) Viewed 23945 times

43.jpg
43.jpg (52.68 KiB) Viewed 23945 times

And then connected up to the Red/White sensor wire on the mod.
44.jpg
44.jpg (51.59 KiB) Viewed 23945 times

45.jpg
45.jpg (67.84 KiB) Viewed 23945 times

Job done, all wrapped up neatly and secured so it doesn't foul the light mechanism
46.jpg
46.jpg (81.32 KiB) Viewed 23945 times

It's in there somewhere. :-)
47.jpg
47.jpg (66.85 KiB) Viewed 23945 times

Fitting a pushbutton
(Pics to follow)
In order to use a pushbutton to control the wink, you first need to find and fit a suitable button.
You can use any momentary push-to-make button - the Mk2 buttons will work and fit into Mk1 switch blanks - or you can mount your own choice of button.

One side of the switch should connect to ground.
The other side of the switch should be connected to the grey wire of the mod.

Youtube vid of it fitted and working......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6JSO2GIBK0

Available from Autolink shop

If anyone needs help or advice fitting this item, please feel free to ask
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
binarypunk

Re: Winky eye kit how to and FAQ

Postby binarypunk » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:14 am

FAQ:

The light doesn't go up and down any more but the other one still does.
The light goes up and down backwards!

Check the Wire A and Wire B connections as follows:

1) With the lights popped up, the mod's Yellow/Red and Yellow/Black wires should be at 12V, the Green/Red and Green/Black wires should be at 0V
2) With the lights down, the above voltages should be reversed

The lights work fine, but the wink isn't happening
First check that Wire A and B are round the right way by following the test above.

If using the stalk:
Pop up the lights with the dash button and carefully (keeping hands clear of the light mechanism) touch the grey wire to a suitable ground to see if a wink happens. If so, check the highbeam sensor connection and try different speeds and variations of double-pull.

If the wink does not happen with the grey wire grounded, or using a pushbutton, listen for a click from the mod when you try. If you hear the click but the wink doesn't happen, double check Wire A and Wire B as above. If not, check that the black wire is well grounded by testing for continuity with another part of the car body.

The lights have stopped working altogether
Have you reconnected the motor and the battery?
If so, check Wire A and Wire B connections as above
Did you neglect to disconnect the battery in the first place?
If so, check the fuse
Jon - UK Mk1 1.6 1993 Classic Red

Check out my MX5 mods and tools:
http://www.binarypunk.co.uk
Need spares? Go to Autolink!
http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Waleoisme

Postby Waleoisme » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:55 am

Hi. Newbie here with a 93 1.6 in lovely polished red looking for a helping hand from the experts if possible.

I done this mod and it works perfectly....when the lights are off. HOWEVER, when the headlights are on its a different matter. Sometimes the wink will happen perfectly (and looks damn cool), other times the headlight will completely ignore my double flash but worst of all,it will randomly wink without any input from me or it shuts its left eye :wink: and does not reopen....obviously a minor issue in the dark .

Just wondering if this sounds familiar or you have any idea what I may have done wrong?

Thanks in advance wink master :wink:
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:40 am

Check that you have no wires touching and that the earths are ok, other than that it could be the lift motor on the way out buddy.
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:01 pm

Sounds like the grey button wire might be earthing on something.

Waleoisme

Postby Waleoisme » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Brilliant guys, I'll check these out when the rain stops lashing down :violin:

Would the grey wire earthing affect only when lights are on?

Cheers for the help, hopefully be an easy insulate grey wire more jobby. Hoping not the lift motor as it works faultlessly when the headlights are off but we shall see I suppose
Gasperb
New

Re: Wink Mod Fitting Guide and FAQ

Postby Gasperb » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi all,

I wonder if you can help me please?

I had the wink mod delivered yesterday and set about trying to fit it this morning. I identified wires A & B using a test lamp and then spliced the unit in. On testing, the wink mod doesn't pop the headlight up or down at all unfortunately.

I have the 4 primary wires connected and the red/white on the mod connected to ground for testing.

I have tested the headlamp motor works fine when the unit is removed.
I have double checked the wires are connected correctly.

When I ground the grey wire I can hear the relay clicking.

I am not getting a 12v signal out of the mod at all. I would expect to get a 12v from the mod across the y/b or g/b wires (depending on if I had a 12v across wire A or B according to headlight position)

Is there anything else I should check or should I speak to Autolink about a replacement unit?

I'd like to get this sorted as quickly as I can as my wife is very keen to have this working on her car. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:04 pm

The gray wire is for a switch so you can manually wink.
Is everything wired correct? some early models might need you to switch the lights on with the stalk to double pull to wink? and flash to pass mod i think might fix the issue, but you will need to speak to Jon.
Of course it could be a faulty unit, but i cannot see it, but would not rule it out
M-m

Gasperb
New

Postby Gasperb » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Autolink and Jon have both replied to my mail and have given me a few more things to test. Customer service is certainly impressive. Could be that I'm doing something dumb. I'm normally very systematic in the way I do things, especially electrical things as it takes me quite a while to get my head round leccy stuff.

I'll try again tomorrow with fresh eyes and try again.

I'm really looking forward to getting it installed and working.
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi, sorry about the trouble you're having. It might just be a misplaced connection or similar...unfortunately our biggest problem with this Mod is Mazda's insistence on using seemingly random wire colours across the models and years and so putting together a wiring guide is next to impossible and it's easy to wire it up wrong. If everything is connected up ok and there is still a problem, there may be a fault with the unit and we will of course happily replace it.

For reference here, the best test is as follows:

Once installed, ensure that the grey wire is not touching anything and that the Red/White is connected to ground. Make sure the battery is reconnected and your hands are out of the way (important this as the barn doors will easily leave them a different shape to how they went in)

With your lights down the G/R and G/B wires on the mod should be at 12V, the Y/R and Y/B should be at 0V.
With the lights up, this should be reversed.
If not as above, you have them connected wrong - go back to the wire identification guide to ensure you have found the correct wires.

Now with the lights up, briefly touch the grey wire to ground. The control box should click, and the Y/B wire should go to 0V and the G/B should go to 12V, then after a moment they should return to normal.

Gasperb
New

Postby Gasperb » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi again

OK, this is the testing I have done today.

I have double checked that I have correctly identified the right headlamp motor wires as wire A and wire B using the method in the instructions;

Lights up - A= +12v B= 0v
Lights down A= 0v B= +12v

Car side A connects to Yellow/Red
Car side B connects to Green/Red

Motor side A connect to Yellow/Black
Motor side B connect to Green/Black

Black on mod to a confirmed earth
Red/White on mod to a confirmed earth.

With the grey not connected, the headlight that the mod is connected to does not pop up or down using either the headlamp switch or OE dash button.

When I ground the grey wire I can hear the relay activating but I still do not get 12v from either the Yellow/Black or Green/Black wires.

When I disconnect the red/white and double touch the red/white wire I can also hear the relay activate but still no 12v output from the mod on either yellow/black or green/black wires.

When I disconnect the mod and re-connect the A and B wires between car and motor, the headlights work as before.

There seems to be an issue getting any +12v signal out of the mod unfortunately.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks again for the support in testing.
bob_drinks_beer
Just Run In

Postby bob_drinks_beer » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi I've had the kit on my car for about two years and it's been great, but it started getting a bit intermittent and now it's stopped working.
Took the kit off and the lights behave, but with the kit installed the light it is on won't lift. If I wind it up manually and do a wink or turn the lights off and on it will go down, but won't come back up again.
I've checked the switch and that's definitely still momentary.
Any Ideas what it could be?
Cheers
Bob

Return to “Binarypunk mods & products”