What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

SUPER CHARGE MX5 MK2

JimmyRinser

SUPER CHARGE MX5 MK2

Postby JimmyRinser » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:52 pm

Hey,

I have recently just bought myself an MX5 MK2 1.6i 2000 and am looking to see if I can get it supercharged!
Sry if this has already been mentioned on the forums but I can't seem to find a thread about it.
If anyone could give me any tips or advise and any info/links about what superchargers can be bought for the model it would be much appreciated.
My budget to get the MX5 supercharged is 2k and trying to get the car ready to take it into the depths of Green Hell come the summer.

Cheers
Mazda MX5 1.6i 2000
Red
Rank - Newbi

Location - Bristol

Cheers JR
The Captain
Turbo Charged

Re: SUPER CHARGE MX5 MK2

Postby The Captain » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi and welcome, I am sure that Lazza will tell you all you need to know. In the meantime, introduce yourself in the new members section and add details of your car and location to your profile and/or signature, it helps us to help you :)
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi JR. The engine in yours is basically the same as in the Mk1 so most Mk1 kits will fit.
The problem you have now is a lack of kits. The best bet will probably be a mini M45 kit from TR Lane.
You will then need to control fuelling and for best results, timing too so ideally you would want a minimum of an emanage blue though something like a megasquirt would be better.

Have you done any investigations yourself yet?
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
JimmyRinser

Postby JimmyRinser » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Hey,

Thank you for that information. I have just begun my investigations into super charging my MX5 so headed to the forums for a lead to work off. I have been told its a bit harder to super charge a MK2 as the engine doesn't have the holes already drilled in it to install the super charger. With controlling fuel, timing, emanage blue and megasquirt I have never heard of any of this but now I know what I have to start looking into. I am very new to this and I am starting a mechanics course at the start of next year. Thanks again for the info and I'm sure I will be back asking questions soon enough.

Cheers
JR
Mazda MX5 1.6i 2000
Red
Rank - Newbi

Location - Bristol

Cheers JR
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Most sc kits use mount using the exhaust manifold bolts (the old ones are replaced with longer ones) so I'm not sure what they are saying about the mounting holes. I'm not an expert on the Mk2 1.6 though.

Bolting on an sc will increase the airflow through the engine. As there is more air flowing, you will have to add more fuel to keep the air/fuel ratio correct. As it will be burning more fuel it will create more heat so the ignition timing map will have to be altered. That's why fuel & timing control needs to be added.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)

Return to “Superchargers”