What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Shift Light Ideas

Come and see what our Jon is up to, with his electric gizmos that his mind and hands mould into magic little boxes of tricks, he gets bored very easily, so if you have an idea that you can throw at him, all the better for him to play with ;0)
binarypunk

Shift Light Ideas

Postby binarypunk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:40 pm

A place to post your contributions for the shift light design
Jon - UK Mk1 1.6 1993 Classic Red

Check out my MX5 mods and tools:
http://www.binarypunk.co.uk
Need spares? Go to Autolink!
http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
agent_orange
Epic Poster

Re: Shift Light Ideas

Postby agent_orange » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:47 pm

binarypunk wrote:
agent_orange wrote:And another gentle prod about your rev limiter mod ;)

Am I doing one? There is a shift light on the horizon - was on hold until I found a suitable LED, but I have recently received the samples for a cool RGB LED that will do the job nicely - just need to finish that off, after the current work.

Yeh thats what I was on about.

So you have found an LED that changes colour. Presumably it goes green for low revs, getting redder the higher you go? That would be awesome.
2003 Mk 2.5 Euphonic Velocity Red Sadly died of rust cancer
1999 Mk2 VS
1991 Mk1
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:47 pm

Need to work on how it behaves - any input appreciated. It can create any RGB colour...and of course flash or get brighter/dimmer whatever.

agent_orange
Epic Poster

Re: Courtesy Light Mod Design - your input

Postby agent_orange » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:29 pm

binarypunk wrote:Need to work on how it behaves - any input appreciated. It can create any RGB colour...and of course flash or get brighter/dimmer whatever.

If its at all feasible, I would suggest allowing the settings to be fully customised.

By all means ship the product with ideal default settings (that can be reverted on reset), but if someone really wants the ideal shift colour to be pink, he can configure that.
1999 Mk2 VS
1991 Mk1
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:59 pm

Certainly providing a few options is possible... Setting your own shift-point is a given.

The main ideas at the moment are:
(Assuming shift point is 6000)

0-5000 = Off
5000-5499 = Green (maybe blue as green says 'go' to me)
5500-5999 = Yellow
6000 = Turns red
6500 = starts flashing

Other option:

5000-6000 turns gradually from yellow through orange to red
6000+ starts flashing

Other option:

5000-6000 comes on red, gets brighter and brighter until
6000+ starts flashing

So many options...so little track experience to know what would work out of the corner of your eye when concentrating on driving!

Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Personally, when I'm on track the rev counter is rarely below 6k!

I'd go for...
0-5000 off
5000-6000 yellow
6000-6500 orange
6500-7000 red
7000+ flashing red.
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)
agent_orange
Epic Poster

Postby agent_orange » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:36 pm

I wonder how it works on products currently out there?
1999 Mk2 VS
1991 Mk1
binarypunk

Postby binarypunk » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:30 pm

Most that I've found are either a simple light that comes on or flashes at the shift point, or have several lights that come on one by one.

jass

Postby jass » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:02 pm

Thumbs up for everything being made by you and for the love to the details! Cant be happier seeing something like this :handgestures-thumbup: .
I had the idea /well, its a need on the track after blowing engines up/ to integrate one to the MX5 interior, would be much happier seeing it made by you. The integration would be full/subtle if one/two very strong LEDs backit the whole of the instrument cluster from behind. Red light from 7000, flashing from 7200 above would work just fine, as I am raising the rev limit with the crystal mod and would be using the upper limit or 7800 only when needed.
Having the shift lights earlier would be annoying for daily driving and would probably need additional switch /the cars are well underpowered and there is often no good reason to shift before fuel cut :confusion-confused: :auto-layrubber: :-) /.
My two cents :coffee:
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:03 pm

I have a shift light that works with my turbo timer. Its only a simple red light when I reach the revs I've set. The shift light point can be adjusted in 200rpm increments. Ive set mine at 7000 as the power drops off above that. Yellow at 6800 and then red at 7000 would have been nice.
But being adjustable is handy :handgestures-thumbup:
Mk1 1.6 Turbo. Gaz shocks. Tr Lane roll bar.
Garage Owner, Lincolshire
Helper to the Scunny track day crew and North Linc's Track Day Club.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
jass

Postby jass » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:29 am

Adjustable will work best of course if possible, as it will be universal for the 1.6 and 1.8s and work for forced and NA engines :handgestures-thumbup:

Return to “Binarypunk mods & products”