What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Not a how-to, but a find: LSD

How to make improvements to your car.
BenF
Epic Poster

Not a how-to, but a find: LSD

Postby BenF » Tue May 27, 2014 7:25 am

In case anyone is interested.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-MX5-MIATA-LSD-ATB-Differential-/321416456734?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

(I have no link or affiliation, any transaction or warranty is purely with the seller and yourself)
stevehh
Regular

Re: Not a how-to, but a find: LSD

Postby stevehh » Tue May 27, 2014 7:00 pm

My sport has at least one broken tab, it came out in the oil. Just how easy is it to fit one of these?

Steve
2004 Mx5 Sport
BenF
Epic Poster

Postby BenF » Wed May 28, 2014 6:54 am

stevehh wrote:My sport has at least one broken tab, it came out in the oil. Just how easy is it to fit one of these?

Steve

Hard to say buddy as I don't know your skill/kit level, but it's a morning's work. The tricky bits are swapping the crown wheel from the old diff to the new one and then setting the lash (see shots in my build with a dial gauge).
Always easier on a non-daily driver :handgestures-thumbup:
Lets ask MM how long he reckons on a diff swap too... WAAAAYYYYNNNNEEEEEE...
stevehh
Regular

Postby stevehh » Wed May 28, 2014 9:06 am

Well, it looks beyond my skillset/toolset, so I'd need to get this fitted for me.
As I'm planning to keep the car, do you think this is a worthwhile replacement for the existing lsd, which has lost at least one tab.

Steve
2004 Mx5 Sport
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Wed May 28, 2014 9:25 am

Interesting Very interesting...

My viscous lsd lasted about 20 minutes on my last track day before getting hot and becoming useless. Ive been looking for a torsen that's not expensive and this might fit the bill.
Has anyone fitted one or had dealings with the company?

:-D
Mk1 1.6 Turbo. Gaz shocks. Tr Lane roll bar.
Garage Owner, Lincolshire
Helper to the Scunny track day crew and North Linc's Track Day Club.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
BenF
Epic Poster

Postby BenF » Wed May 28, 2014 9:30 am

Steve - I'd message the guy and find out more (where they're from etc.) and in you position, probably get one for 'stock'. Broken tabs on diffs seem to be a common thing?

Nedski - that's odd, the super-badger viscous diffs are meant to work (and work better) when they ARE hot; that's how they work?!?
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Wed May 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Well at the Teeside autodrome last week. The first session was steady learning the track. Second session warmed the tyres and my quickest lap was my 4th and I didn't match it all day. There were two very tight corners off camber which I couldn't get drive out of. The inside was wheel was spinning for sure.
Swapped into my brothers with a torsen and the drive out the tight corners was much better.
I would have thought the 20 year old mazda viscous diff was plain worn out as they do.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
BenF
Epic Poster

Postby BenF » Wed May 28, 2014 12:45 pm

Proof of the pudding then. I do prefer a torsen TBH, there's no voodoo involved :handgestures-thumbup:

Was it a type 1 or 2 that you tried out?
stevehh
Regular

Postby stevehh » Wed May 28, 2014 1:23 pm

The LSD is from http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/
They were looking for interest, in would anyone buy one if they made a LSD for the MX5, and put feelers out on pistonheads.
I asked about time last year and they claimed to have them in stock at £ 295 ea + £ 75 for fitting to the diff + VAT.

A year has gone by since I drained the oil, and found the tab. I've put 8000 miles on the diff since then, and I've not heard of any complete failures of the LSD diff.
So perhaps it's best to leave well alone.

Steve
2004 Mx5 Sport
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Wed May 28, 2014 8:57 pm

BenF wrote:Proof of the pudding then. I do prefer a torsen TBH, there's no voodoo involved :handgestures-thumbup:

Was it a type 1 or 2 that you tried out?

mmmm dunno i just thrashed the hell out of it lol and gave it back. :lol:
Also had these new nankang soft tyres on which were very good easily 888 standard.

I'll ask him which type.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
nedski
Serial Poster

Postby nedski » Wed May 28, 2014 9:18 pm

It was a Series 1 torsen with low ratio
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk

Return to “Modifications”