What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
Members and searchers please be aware that some of our 'how to' guides do not currently show the intended help photos. This is because photobucket wants to charge a monthly amount for us to view our own pics. The photos are currently being replaced. If you need one of our guides and it is missing pics please let one of the Admin team know and we will make that one a priority for you.
Regards
Admin

Mk1 Protecting them rear quarters

flea
Site Admin

Mk1 Protecting them rear quarters

Postby flea » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:52 pm

After recently cutting out the tin worm from the rear quarters & welding in some new metal i had time to have a good look of how these cars were put together in this area.
I noticed that there is no way you can treat the part of the inner rear quarter that has this rusting problem so i got to thinking how we can cure this or at least help to protect it more.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (34.85 KiB) Viewed 3030 times

First off i noticed that by removing the plug under the wheel arch & getting the wax oil probe in there does NOT get to the problem area no matter how hard you try. I had a go while it was in bits. Its not even on the right side of the inner frame where the problem lies.

So here goes.

I have put a white line inside the arch so you can see where the metal plate goes & the existing hole. As you can see its on the wrong side of the plate. The rust is a problem on the left of the line & the damn hole is on the right.

IMG_5224.JPG
IMG_5224.JPG (44.33 KiB) Viewed 3030 times

So you'll need one of these, Yes a simple rubber bung :handgestures-thumbup:

IMG_5225.JPG
IMG_5225.JPG (45.01 KiB) Viewed 3030 times

Then take a drill & drill out a hole (about half way between the white line & the outer sill/wing aslo about the same distance up from the bottom of the sill) that your rubber bung fits.

IMG_5227.JPG
IMG_5227.JPG (51.64 KiB) Viewed 3030 times

Make sure you remove any burs of metal from your hole. If you notice through the hole you can see the bit thats never reached :whistle: Now don't forget to apply a few coats of primer where you have drilled the hole. I done this once it was finished but i made sure there was no wax oil on the bare metal so the paint adhered properly.

IMG_5228.JPG
IMG_5228.JPG (37.25 KiB) Viewed 3030 times

Now take your wax oil probe. It will go all the way to where the front wing meets the sill just to the front of your door. Make sure that you twist the probe just before you remove it from the hole so it gets to the section that you have drilled your hole in :handgestures-thumbup:

IMG_5231.JPG
IMG_5231.JPG (46.83 KiB) Viewed 3030 times

Then all you need to do is fit the rubber bung.

IMG_5234.JPG
IMG_5234.JPG (39.45 KiB) Viewed 3030 times

Job done :wink:

Here's a drawing i done to explain the construction of the rear wing & sill quarter. The red line shows where the inner section meets the wheel arch.

drawing rear wing structure.JPG
drawing rear wing structure.JPG (91.89 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
chris32
Just Run In

Re: Mk1 Protecting them rear quarters

Postby chris32 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:14 pm

Photo10.jpg
Photo10.jpg (155.48 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Just for Interest I found this and a few other pictures some years ago. Someone had cut the whole cross section out of an MX5 in the US. This view is looking straight down. I think it shows where to get the probe. I did it at the time on my 1990 Mk1 but details have faded.
flea
Site Admin

Postby flea » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:49 pm

Well done :handgestures-thumbup:
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
nedski

Postby nedski » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:34 am

:text-coolphotos: Well done. I have two sill jobs lined up. oh the joy :handgestures-thumbup:
Mk1 1.6 Turbo. Gaz shocks. Tr Lane roll bar.
Garage Owner, Lincolshire
Helper to the Scunny track day crew and North Linc's Track Day Club.
www.stokesofkelsey.co.uk
chris32
Just Run In

Postby chris32 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi Flea do you happen to remember what size hole you drilled. The smallest grommets I could find in Halfords were 9mm and I found I needed a 10mm hole in an old piece of steel to get a fit. It seems quite a big hole to drill in my little car! I thought I had done this about 6 years ago with the rest of the car but when I checked, I must have simply used the big existing "grommeted" hole. I do remember at the time that wax oil dripped out the bottom of the horizontal seam, so it went to many places.

Just a thought: I checked the spot welded join between the wing and the wheel arch and found that between the welds in places there was a definite gap. In fact in one place I found that I could get a hypodermic needle all the way through the gap. (No, I am not a user, it's one I use to refill ink cartridges). Taking the opportunity, I have just got three barrel loads of wax-oil in. If this seam is a point of entry for water then the wax-oil might follow the same path and protect the affected part. The gap will be sealed whatever afterwards.
flea
Site Admin

Postby flea » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:21 pm

I phoned Autolink & they kindly sent the rubbers I asked for. Give them a call & I'm sure they will have smaller ones there? I seam pasted the gap between the arch & the wing as I believe that is where most of the water can get in
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
chris32
Just Run In

Postby chris32 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:24 pm

Re: sealing the gap between the spot welds round the wheel arch. I bought some edging strip called "clear body guard" it fits perfectly over the join although it's really for door edges
flea
Site Admin

Postby flea » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:31 pm

Good idea if it keeps the water from getting in :handgestures-thumbup: How about some pictures to see how it looks
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:29 pm

chris32 wrote:Re: sealing the gap between the spot welds round the wheel arch. I bought some edging strip called "clear body guard" it fits perfectly over the join although it's really for door edges

It will not do what you think it will buddy.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 fettling,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 being rebuilt,
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 (claimed by daughter)
Mk 1 Eunos 96 1.8 blue B2...being fettled
Mk1 Eunos 93 1.6 black S special **gone**
http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/

Return to “MK1 -1989 > 1997 (NA)”